Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Morning everyone

Well the temperature dropped down to -5.2c at 0156hrs this morning, and has now slowly crawled

its way back up to -2.4c

Last 4 days min temperatures=

17th= -0.9c

18th= -2.6c

19th= -4.2c

20th= -5.2c

Max temperatures as follows

17th== 3.6c

18th==0.6c

19th==2.3c

20th==-2.4c so far

More snow fell last night , giving us a decent covering, and im expecting more snow later

Now this is what i call winter way hay bring it on

Posted

just a few for now, hopefully i will get out today and take a few more,

post-4475-12612981152313_thumb.jpg

post-4475-12612981353513_thumb.jpg

Posted

What are the chances of that snow in the north or Scotland getting to the North East later today?

I don't think we are forecast any snow for today or the foreseeable future are we?

Posted

What are the chances of that snow in the north or Scotland getting to the North East later today?

I don't think we are forecast any snow for today or the foreseeable future are we?

There could be some snow showers that manages to cross the Pennines but i feel most of the time, it will be dry. The BBC shows some more general snow for North Yorkshire this afternoon but as ever, it's about watching the radar because as ever with snow, it may throw one or 2 surprises.

Posted

There could be some snow showers that manages to cross the Pennines but i feel most of the time, it will be dry. The BBC shows some more general snow for North Yorkshire this afternoon but as ever, it's about watching the radar because as ever with snow, it may throw one or 2 surprises.

Yeah your right, btw:

COME ON BORO!!!

I hope the match is still on. Have you heard anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I live in Forest Hall and it always suprises me how cold it is compared with most of the area. I got in from a party this morning at 2.30am and it was -6.8c. Its still -2.5 now.

Anyway the snow last night was good (1"), but the radar built my hopes up a little as I was sure we would be getting 3" at least. Although there was a 10 minute period when the snow was the heaviest I had seen in years. I think we will be getting more snow before this spell comes to an end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Despite its intensity last night's snow event was a bit of a disappointment for Cleadon- the reason is that I expected temperatures to start off marginal and drop off abruptly, as happened on 28 January 2004. In the actual event, they dropped only slowly and so most of the snow fell at 1C. As a result we have the same amount of snow cover as yesterday (5cm) but it is iced over.

Although distance from the coast was irrelevant in this setup, altitude was highly relevant. Cleadon is at only 40m, and I imagine that most places at altitudes of 100m and above will have had at least a few inches out of this.

The next few days look quite interesting. Sunshine and snow showers will be the main theme, and there is a favourable chance of some of those snow showers making it over the Pennines at times, though they will be hit and miss and are unlikely to be heavy. They will settle except during the warmest phase of the day at low levels (1-3pm).

Chances of a white Christmas still hang on a knife edge near the east coast but look very favourable inland. On Christmas Eve we are likely to see some more organised precipitation try to push in from the south, which is likely to fall as snow inland meaning a white Christmas for all affected areas, but it could well drag in an easterly which could raise temperatures at the coast to the wrong side of marginal. It is a long way out and subject to change at this stage, however.

Posted
snip

thanks for the update TWS.

I am spending my christmas away from the coast inland towards hexham so heres hoping we get a dumping on christmas day. Its never happened in my lifetime that i can remember (25years)

Posted

Well I've not been in very long but pleased to see that the temperature dropped to -6.4ºc last night, and currently it is 0.3º under cloudy skies. I hope if we aren't getting any more snow that the sky clears!

Snow depth average is 7cm, but 10cm in other parts of town.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

That band of snow in scotland is it moving se and going to affect us because atm it looks like it by the radar?

Posted

That band is still moving se so its worth watching! :yahoo:

Posted

That band of snow in scotland is it moving se and going to affect us because atm it looks like it by the radar?

i think it will fragment before it gets to us :yahoo: but you nver know, keep your fingers crossed and keep watching the radar. It seems not even the met office know exactly where snow will fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just been up at Plessey Woods, that area, including Cramlington itself, only has 1-2 inches at best, whereas there is more like 3 here. My hunch is that whilst there was already an inch here before the snow fell there wasn't up there, as last night's event only dropped 2 inches of extra snow. It still looked very nice and festive though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Top temperature at Cleadon- a whopping 0.3C! I can see snow showers dotted around to the west and north of here, yet there appears to be nothing on the radar which is interesting.

Edit: The importance of altitude in last night's event was illustrated by the fact that while there is 4-5cm lying on the ground in Cleadon itself, there's 7cm up on Cleadon Hills.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Top temperature at Cleadon- a whopping 0.3C! I can see snow showers dotted around to the west and north of here, yet there appears to be nothing on the radar which is interesting.

Edit: The importance of altitude in last night's event was illustrated by the fact that while there is 4-5cm lying on the ground in Cleadon itself, there's 7cm up on Cleadon Hills.

Certainly was evident yesterday as we drove down to B&Q near South Shields town centre a few metres above sea level (right next to the river tyne) as the ppn was heavy rain with a mix of sleet, as we drove back up towards Marsden it was falling as wet snow. The warm sector had more of an effect than i thought it would, even started to thaw the snow in the trees and off cars and roofs, but this soon froze as the warm(er) sector rushed through and temps plummeted.

Posted

Is there any more Snow forcast for us in the coming days? :)