Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

If that cold NE'erly shown on the GFS 06Z should develop as progged, I guess that you peeps in NE England will reap similar benefits from the huge sea-track as we will up here...There could be some interesting convection about?

3-4ft of lying snow in the region without doubt is the 18z - 6z verifies

Posted

Potentially record breaking blizzards for the northern half of the country next week with 3-4 feet of lying snow and drifts of up to 30ft if those charts for next week come off, crap down here but Scotland, Cumbria, Midlands, Yorkshire, Tyneside will be getting heavier snowfalls than the eastern seaboard of the USA got the other day if there is no downgrades

30ft is a bit off, in 63 some got up to 20ft, but after so much snow it could get there expecially if the wind is strong, either way looking possibly pretty spectacular, my mum said last night all these big snow events in the 70s etc, bought ordinary snow up to the windows and drifts up to astonishing heights and did not go for weeks, and my grandad use to get on the roof and knock off all the snow off the roof too. so if next week comes off, the snow thios week would look pretty crap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A slow thaw has set in here, mainly on rooftops with flat surfaces mostly OK. Hopefully it will crisp up tonight, but I feel that this cold spell is 'spent' in the sense that no more heavy snow is likely to fall. The next cold spell looks like it could well start just a few days after this one ends though to I'm not to bothered at the moment, and this is the 6th day with snow cover, and the 7th if you include Thursday evening.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yes it will crisp up tonight but then some snow moves up and giving a top up :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just 3 more hours of thawing to go before the temperature drops away and hopefully the thaw will stop. Not sure that tonight will be that snowy, I won't rule out a repeat of last night which initiated this thawing :)

Posted

Just 3 more hours of thawing to go before the temperature drops away and hopefully the thaw will stop. Not sure that tonight will be that snowy, I won't rule out a repeat of last night which initiated this thawing :)

I suppose that possibility does exist for all lower lying areas but as the snow may well fall overnight that could well be some sort of plus point. Although in my vicinity we missed out on any really heavy stuff the landscape remains under a mantle of white which I believe will persist over Christmas day.

Posted

This is agony atm watching the snow melt :) at least the temp hasnt risen in the past hr reamined at 3.2C. Tonight light snow what is forcast is very much needed now because the snow cover has thinned today.

Posted

This is agony atm watching the snow melt :) at least the temp hasnt risen in the past hr reamined at 3.2C. Tonight light snow what is forcast is very much needed now because the snow cover has thinned today.

Remember any overnight snow will fall on a well frozen surface but will not have the advantage of getting the hard frosts the last fall received.So any melt of the new fall would be quicker.

Posted

Remember any overnight snow will fall on a well frozen surface but will not have the advantage of getting the hard frosts the last fall received.So any melt of the new fall would be quicker.

Yes i know but the light snow tonight and tommorrow morning will cover more of the ground and that will give a slight advantage on that system tommorow on the afternoon into overnight delivering snow insted of the possibility sleet.

Posted

Yes i know but the light snow tonight and tommorrow morning will cover more of the ground and that will give a slight advantage on that system tommorow on the afternoon into overnight delivering snow insted of the possibility sleet.

I would not argue with that but in these marginal situations we will just have to wait and see. However I know we are both hoping for the same thing-enjoy.

Posted

I would not argue with that but in these marginal situations we will just have to wait and see. However I know we are both hoping for the same thing-enjoy.

Here in Cramlington at the moment its +1.6c snow is melting, just been looking at the metar/taf for Newcastle airport and that just forecasts for clear overnight tonight

EGNT 231105Z 2312/2412 27012KT 9999 FEW025

BECMG 2321/2324 VRB03KT PROB30 2403/2412 8000 BKN010

I suppose hopefully it will change

TONY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Interestingly the GFS 06Z precipitation has the main band clear out of the way during the morning tomorrow before it warms up near the east coast (falling/settling snow possible?) and then when it warms up near the coast we get a few wintry showers come in- which could turn to falling & lying snow overnight as the wind backs northerly?

I don't think all is lost yet for a white Christmas but it is certainly marginal and in Cleadon we could do with a top-up- the thaw is only very slow here (2-3cm should still be left on most surfaces by the end of the day) but there isn't the same "Christmassy wonderland" feel that there was yesterday.

Edit: just checked temperature, 3.8C max earlier today, now 3.4 and falling.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Thaw not actually too bad now I've been out and about - it just "seemed" worse next to the house with the "drip, drip, drip" from the roof. Also, we must have had a snow shower after I went to bed last night because when I went to the car there was evidence of frozen wet snow on the windscreen and bonnet.

Temperature currently 1.2º and dew point -4.1º and falling nicely, although I'll take nothing for granted after last nights insane warm sector and accompanying 6.5 degree temperature rise.

Posted

Darlington

Durham

Hartlepool

Middlesbrough

Northumberland

Redcar + Cleveland

Stockton-on-Tees

Tyne + Wear

Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow 1800 Wed 23 0300 Thu 24

Outbreaks of rain and sleet will turn to heavy snow for a time giving falls of 5cm widely, with locally as much as 10cm. There is also a risk of rain, sleet or snow falling onto frozen roads and paths causing widespread ice.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1450 Wed 23 Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Met Office Invent still very bullish about the chances of a topup of snow cover at around 6am on the morning of Christmas Eve with possible wintry showers firing in from the NE thereafter, albeit with more marginal temperatures by then.

However, a word of warning- the MetO have underestimated today's temperatures in Tyne & Wear and Durham by about 2C.

Posted

I think we are quite lucky in the esscence that this forecast snow is coming overnight, so we do have the advantage of it being generally cooler anyway, even if temps are at 2 or 3 degrees snow can still fall at these temperatures, just because it isnt sub zero doesnt mean its going to rain, i think a few people may be suprised tomorrow, santa is bringing some luck to the NE tonight i can feel it in my bones!

:drinks:

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

met office has issured a flash warning for your area

WalesWidespread Icy Roads1600 Wed 231000 Thu 24North West EnglandWidespread Icy Roads1600 Wed 231000 Thu 24Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow1800 Wed 230300 Thu 24North East EnglandWidespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow1800 Wed 230300 Thu 24Yorkshire & HumberWidespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow1800 Wed 230300 Thu 24West MidlandsWidespread Icy Roads1600 Wed 231000 Thu 24East MidlandsWidespread Icy Roads1600 Wed 231000 Thu 24Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow1800 Wed 230300 Thu 24East of EnglandWidespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow1800 Wed 230300 Thu 24

Edited by tinybill

Posted

GFS continues to suggest a pretty marginal mixed bag tomorrow, with some snow around 6am for most, followed by a slight warming at the coast and possible wintry showers firing in off the North Sea, and then the possibility of a cooldown with some snow showers near the coast overnight 24th/25th December. Thus chances of a white Christmas still hang in the balance but all is not yet lost.

Posted

I took the grandkids sledging and as the temperature dropped it was very icy and as far as I was concern very pleasant,the current temperature is -1c and will probably go lower until the cloud arrives from the south-lets hope the precipitation falls as snow.

Edited by Rollo

Posted

Max today -0.9C

Some fresh powder snow fell last night. No thaw here max since last Thursday 0.5c, last night briefly.

Down to -4.2C at present.

Mark

Teesdale

Posted

there is some serious intensity in the preciitation falling down south, lets hope that keeps up and turns to snow as it hits the colder air.