Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather Stations For Home Use

Pixel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Mum's asked me what what I'd love for my Birthday in January..

(mods... please be kind and edit to "bump" this to the best place)

help.gifsince there's sooo-many folk here watching the weather winter-time, posting home brewed statistics I thought its the best time to get advised and find out what all you home observers use to record your stats (-:

"A home Weather Station. Windspeed,Pressure,Humidity,Rainfall etc...as much info as poss..." I said..."one that records and saves data to upload to a PC." Then I did a search on tinternet and discovered the price:blush:

http://www.nevadarad...ns/ventus-w-831

the ventusW831...

Ok.. so I'm very happy to contribute to her generosity...

...any advice or offers to sell your 2nd hand NASA designed station would be appreciated rolleyes.gif

PM me if you'd prefer

Edited by shadowcat

Posted

Mum's asked me what what I'd love for my Birthday in January..

(mods... please be kind and edit to "bump" this to the best place)

help.gifsince there's sooo-many folk here watching the weather winter-time, posting home brewed statistics I thought its the best time to get advised and find out what all you home observers use to record your stats (-:

"A home Weather Station. Windspeed,Pressure,Humidity,Rainfall etc...as much info as poss..." I said..."one that records and saves data to upload to a PC." Then I did a search on tinternet and discovered the price:blush:

http://www.nevadarad...ns/ventus-w-831

the ventusW831...

Ok.. so I'm very happy to contribute to her generosity...

...any advice or offers to sell your 2nd hand NASA designed station would be appreciated rolleyes.gif

PM me if you'd prefer

Ok guys..

now that I've cautiously posted my attempt to find advice on "weather stations" for home use, I have discovered that there are many posts for the very same thing going back significant months placed in 'weather equipment' and now lost in the quag that is the so called winter discussion er humm (people bickering about when it/isnt going to snow/thunder extreme 'event' in their back garden) O'h I remember the days when I enthusiastically joined here. Mr Data and mr crazysnowfanman were alive and kicking not moaning. I digress....

being a man of creative empathy trying to earn a way in this so called warming world crazy.gif I suggest that NetWeather.tv "gets with the beat baggy" to provide a sincere listing of respectable providers of... - ok here it comes - "Weather stations" - searchable by your loyal viewers (Hey, there may be an opportunity to sell some advertising links too) for those like me who work through the night and day and don't have a lamp post or radar to watch while our days are dull - Now there's honest..

tease.gif

I will of course be deeply embarrassed by my post this morning and delete my profile if no-one responds with encouragement and support... esp with the upcoming cold spell in the new year predicted by the UKMO @ 240+

:lol:

Have a Happy 2010 you all biggrin.gif

Posted

Hi

Personally I run an oregan scientific wmr200 which is outside of your budget, the Ventus w831 uses the same sensor suite i.e rain gauage, anenometer and hygrometer as the Nexus range and many others on the market and are proven to be reliable. we bought my father in law one 2 years ago and it has been faultless compared to my oregan that has been back a number of times the only downside to the lower end stations is the transmission rate is every 15 seconds or so rather than 1 -2 seconds. However that said they are perfectly good for an entry level station, personally I found the weathershop 0845 680 1805 a good source of information and the staff more than willing to offer good experience backed advice.

Best of luck its a bug takes hold of you

Posted

Hi

Personally I run an oregan scientific wmr200 which is outside of your budget, the Ventus w831 uses the same sensor suite i.e rain gauage, anenometer and hygrometer as the Nexus range and many others on the market and are proven to be reliable. we bought my father in law one 2 years ago and it has been faultless compared to my oregan that has been back a number of times the only downside to the lower end stations is the transmission rate is every 15 seconds or so rather than 1 -2 seconds. However that said they are perfectly good for an entry level station, personally I found the weathershop 0845 680 1805 a good source of information and the staff more than willing to offer good experience backed advice.

Best of luck its a bug takes hold of you

Thanks Gerry

Great info and help...

will try the weathershop

Posted

I have recently bought a Watson W8681 (which seems to be the same as Fine Offset 1080), which has the usb computer link but I use the Cumulus program instead of the supplied one.

It is wireless so no cables to where it is mounted, you just fit the longest lasting batteries then need a mountain goat to change them every year or more. I have done a slight mod on the wind vane as it seemed to cartwheel in light airs so now has a longer tail stuck on (piece of thin plastic from a food packaging container) and the temp sensor seems to need a better screen as the sunshine seems to ramp up the readings a bit (shaded mounting position or silver foil reflector ?)

generally pleased with it for a very reasonable price.