IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 10

Methuselah

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

On day sixteen since the snow first fell...

post-717-12623515432313_thumb.jpg

Very regal looking. Nothing contrasts better than a jet black dog against pure white snow. Great pics OON. So much snow still left, I'll try not to get too jealous :aggressive:

Posted

temps dropping after peaking at 4.1C

Temp now: 3.2C

Dewpoint -1.2C

wind: SW...says it all really.

EDIT: Wind change to NNE

Jaguar better start practising clean air, they disgust me. Leave the window open for 2/3 days and the nets are literally caked in brown particles, and I mean caked.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

talk of winter conditions that people under 30 will not remember, well im hoping its get colder as so far its been nothing out of the ordrinary for here anyway

coastal areas showing temps 4 to 6c example the ne coast of scotland northern isles and ne england among with various other places...

on shore winds will kill chance of snow for lowland areas, we need some really cold air and special synoptics....

Edited by james12

Posted

talk of winter conditions that people under 30 will not remember, well im hoping its get colder as so far its been nothing out of the ordrinary for here anyway

coastal areas showing temps 4 to 6c example the ne coast of scotland northern isles and ne england among with various other places...

on shore winds will kill chance of snow for lowland areas, we need some really cold air and special synoptics....

Well temps are slowly going back down, but it's been a very mild day to say the least. Possibly the mildest we have had since prior to xmas

I really should not have said that, temps slightly up again.

Temp now 3.5C

DP 0.9C

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I think the radar is showing just how much the Pennines can kill off the showers from a North Easterly flow. Fragmenting all the time. Certainly gives support to those advocating we stand a better chance of getting more snowfall from a direct Easterly, than a North Easterly. Tyneside is the area to be today lol

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

I think the radar is showing just how much the Pennines can kill off the showers from a North Easterly flow. Fragmenting all the time. Certainly gives support to those advocating we stand a better chance of getting more snowfall from a direct Easterly, than a North Easterly. Tyneside is the area to be today lol

This wind is doing a lot of alternating beteen NNE and NNW in the last hour. The last thing i want to see is anything with a westerly in it.

Posted

im doing quite well in terms of snow flurries today, temp back down to 0.7c in light snow and has recovered again after this mornings thawed full cloud cover at present with snow falling

yup,easterly or south easterly are good,north easterly less good! We are going to need some troughs to give us a decent covering over the next 2 days or so.

As it stands the east looks primed for some really heavy snow .

Posted

But aren't we supposed very low upper temperatures from now on? like -5 and below and aren't these forecast to drop to around -8 or below? And also we should be well within 528 dam line now with that being well to the south of the UK? And with winds coming from the north-east (therefore reducing the chance of warmer air from the Irish Sea getting into the mix) - I would say this mostly goes in favour of any precipitation we get in the next few days falling as snow surely? And also we now seem to have sub zero dewpoints. Also a question - if the air temperature is say 3C and a sub zero dewpoint wouldn't that fall as snow providing all the other parameters are met (upper temps, thicknesses etc.)? I thought the main criteria for preceipitation falling as snow was the dewpoint or wetbulb temperature being below freezing, not the actual air temperature? I do know that for snow to settle the temp has to be at about 1C or below is that correct?

Luke

Posted

Too true. I can actually see the dark clouds over the hills to the north-east - and they are just sliding down the eastern side. I've seen it so many times.

Directly overhead clouds are patchy resulting in a very light snow flurry.

Posted

10 minutes of light snow now, a few moderate burts a dusting over most things now quite surprised actually.... ;)

Posted

10 minutes of light snow now, a few moderate burts a dusting over most things now quite surprised actually.... ;)

Thankfully for my area the dp is now at -1.5C and falling, along with a slight reduction in temps..should be that temps now continue to flatline. Its been quite a bright day with the occasional clouds off to my west (your area James). Very strange temperatures today. Temp increases was because for a couple of hours, our wind direction was from the sw, then nw..now its nne once again and since the wind direction has changed our temps have started to drop.

Posted

Thankfully for my area the dp is now at -1.5C and falling, along with a slight reduction in temps..should be that temps now continue to flatline. Its been quite a bright day with the occasional clouds off to my west (your area James). Very strange temperatures today. Temp increases was because for a couple of hours, our wind direction was from the sw, then nw..now its nne once again and since the wind direction has changed our temps have started to drop.

temp here 0.0c after a max of 1.4c DP -2c and still snow is falling although very light now and hope it does not stop as it will thaw!!! if the temps goes up again in the sun!!!

Posted

there is more snow falling from the cloud than the radar is picking up, 30 mins now of non stop snow here dont get me wrong its mainly light and just enough to cover the ground, now easing off and clearing...

i think tomorrow will be a sleet/rain event with winds off the sea and uppers marginal as the warm sector moves over here, just checked weatheronline updated forecast for saturday says rain in northern england....

and yet snow further south!!!!

where the hell is the cold air, saturday night looks very cold providing its calm or winds form the ne off the land and not sea, and no cloud cover

Edited by james12

Posted

there is more snow falling from the cloud than the radar is picking up, 30 mins now of non stop snow here dont get me wrong its mainly light and just enough to cover the ground, now easing off and clearing...

i think tomorrow will be a sleet/rain event with winds off the sea and uppers marginal as the warm sector moves over here, just checked weatheronline updated forecast for saturday says rain in northern england....

and yet snow further south!!!!

where the hell is the cold air, saturday night looks very cold providing its calm or winds form the ne off the land and not sea, and no cloud cover

Dont read too much into the forecast for weatheronline. I can't see it suddenly becoming mild enough for rain. Infact if anything tonight and into tomorrow should be colder not milder.

Saying that I would have thought the temps would have fallen off completely by now they haven't. It's currently 2.3C with the dewpoint at -1.2C. Wind north east

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

temp now back below freezing @ -0.4c and further light showers moving down from the north to increase the light dusting....

im liking today, although prolonged and heavy snow would be welcome!!

Edited by james12

Posted

I've only just woke up (that's one mother of a hangover) and found a light dusting of snow on all surfaces, I'm guessing a shower must have drifted through earlier.

There was a very hard frost here at midnight when the fireworks started.

Posted

I've only just woke up (that's one mother of a hangover) and found a light dusting of snow on all surfaces, I'm guessing a shower must have drifted through earlier.

There was a very hard frost here at midnight when the fireworks started.

Yes about 2:30pm a heavy snow shower passed through. Lasted about 15/20 minutes.