Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Dont be so quick to give up, its not fizzling out at all, and there is plenty out to the irish sea thats got to come inland yet. Glanamman is just on the edge where there is plenty behind it looking at the radar.

Remember the front is pushing south and its not fully here yet.

If it's rain i don't want plenty more hehe wats better 1cm sheet of ice or a thresh sprinkling of snow :drinks:.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Plenty more chances this winter!

True, i think again i got a bit to hopeful lol which i have to try stop!!

Is that a streamer setting up on the radar?

Not to sure tbh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

With a bit of luck it will die out before coming this far South, it looks a lot more patchy now. Its mostly rain anyway apart from the high ground.

Posted

Winds will turn I think its because of wind comming from the sea, westerly wind always thaws snow chances I soon see when it hits me if it does, looks like im just about to hit the edge of it in next 10 mins. I report if its rain or not.

Just checked actually its to far north for me, stuff out over carmarthenshire comming from irish sea isnt tho

If it's rain i don't want plenty more hehe wats better 1cm sheet of ice or a thresh sprinkling of snow :drinks:.

Edited by mrmonopoly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

With a bit of luck it will die out before coming this far South, it looks a lot more patchy now. Its mostly rain anyway apart from the high ground.

Snowing heavy in Dowlais.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/travel/trafficcams/camera2415.shtml

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Is that a streamer setting up on the radar?

Nope, weakening band of precipitation

Posted

Looks like I'm lucky, the rain is going to miss me but plenty more north of my location... let us now what happens Adam

Drizzle here it doesnt seem to be doing anything to the snow cover however i really am not happy with this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Wow alot of breaking up in this last 20 minutes, might not even make it to the coast now

Posted

Wow alot of breaking up in this last 20 minutes, might not even make it to the coast now

Yea that died real fast, I guess there is nothing to keep it fueled preasure is still pretty high here sucking life out of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

spacer.gif

Any chance of the irish sea showers pushing eastwards

Edited by soupsurfer7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yep, got broken cloud overhead, but dont think we will get anything, and if it was rain than im glad. Temp seems to be staying around 0.6C atm

Posted

Looking at the Private Weather Station outside of Carmarthen temp was -2.7 at 1930 hours and it's now currently -0.4 :shok:

Wind has changed direction thats why, its comming from the west so its warmer

Posted

Wind has changed direction thats why, its comming from the west so its warmer

But that makes no sense tonight and tomorrow is forecast to be colder than today and last night?

Posted

Yes but wind direction wont be the same as it is tonight. I was under the impression the low over midlands will move and suck colder air in which will colide with a front comming from adlantic (I am sure thats whats going to happen, I think lol)

Wind right now is comming off the sea, which means its milder. Tommorow the wind turns and comes from inland which makes it much colder if that makes scense..

Put it this way, if we did nto have the adlantic warming effect, it be very very low temps in the winter, and much warmer ones in the summer.

Without it the CET of Uk would be in the negative figures, which is why if the NAD stopped we really would be in a mess. The blocking patterns we get during these periods is when the warm air from the NAD (north adlantic drift) gets blocked or pushed further south which allows our true azimith north temps to come through. Only reason why Russia is so dam cold is becuse its not warmed by the adlantic.

But that makes no sense tonight and tomorrow is forecast to be colder than today and last night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Cloudy here temp here is -3.2'c

Maybe I will get something white

Time to ask the snowgodsrolleyes.gif

UPDATE: it's snowing here air_kiss.gif

Edited by snowmadsam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and snow

I love reading these forums, people seem to think if temps are close to zero or below snow is due. Thats not always the case.

Only once in my lifetime have I witnessed freezing rain, its liquid until it hits something solid and immediatly frezzes. Now thats nasty stuff.

It turned my windscreen into thick ice in secounds, and its ice everywhere. So remember folks zero temps dont gurantee snow.

Had it in Newport last week, was snowing heavy in town but turned to rain whee I live, drove into the housing estate, car spun sidewards and done 2k damage to steering and body. Opened door to get out, fell straight down, everything coated in a black thick ice. You could here a cracking sound as the rain fell and froze.

Edited by Simon SWales

Overnight the wind direction switches to Easterly and then NE and starts feeding in the very cold upper air temps. This bitter feed of winds is set to continue until at least next weekend. With the GFS ensemble mean not rising back above -5c (850Hpa) until the 13th Jan, and the control staying under -5c until the 18th Jan. This is probably the coldest spell of weather since January 1987. Even GFS is forecasting ice days for South Wales. :p

Hopefully the cloud can clear soon and we an start freezing the existing snow.

Posted

Overnight the wind direction switches to Easterly and then NE and starts feeding in the very cold upper air temps. This bitter feed of winds is set to continue until at least next weekend. With the GFS ensemble mean not rising back above -5c (850Hpa) until the 13th Jan, and the control staying under -5c until the 18th Jan. This is probably the coldest spell of weather since January 1987. Even GFS is forecasting ice days for South Wales. :lol:

Thank you, Now that's what i couldn't understand why people were saying the winds were turning westerly through the night, I've a feeling they were saying that so they had the chance of more streamers possibly. The snow is a hard pack of ice here now.

Posted

Overnight the wind direction switches to Easterly and then NE and starts feeding in the very cold upper air temps. This bitter feed of winds is set to continue until at least next weekend. With the GFS ensemble mean not rising back above -5c (850Hpa) until the 13th Jan, and the control staying under -5c until the 18th Jan. This is probably the coldest spell of weather since January 1987. Even GFS is forecasting ice days for South Wales. ohmy.gif

Existing snow hey !!

Cool , how much did we get in Swansea area?

Have been up north ,sledging and snow boarding near a place called Caldbeck ,which is situated on the edge of the fells in the north of Cumbria.

Fantastic , had 5 days of it now and made the most of it as am back down Swansea tomorrow.

This time it looks like i will be bringing the extra cold air back down with me !!!

Existing snow hey !!

Cool , how much did we get in Swansea area?

Have been up north ,sledging and snow boarding near a place called Caldbeck ,which is situated on the edge of the fells in the north of Cumbria.

Fantastic , had 5 days of it now and made the most of it as am back down Swansea tomorrow.

This time it looks like i will be bringing the extra cold air back down with me !!!

Probably about 1-2 inches, much of this thawed in the sun, but still very good cover in shade.

Tycoch Hill was very slippery last night, and even today the road between Waunarlwydd and Tycoch was covered in ice/snow.

It snowed at the rugby yesterday, a few piccies of the snow on BBC Sport Website.

Mind you I think you have got a lot more snow than us up there.

Posted

Found this pic of back garden taken in Novermber either 2004 or 2005, would love it to be like this again.

post-10181-12624698891913_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Probably about 1-2 inches, much of this thawed in the sun, but still very good cover in shade.

Tycoch Hill was very slippery last night, and even today the road between Waunarlwydd and Tycoch was covered in ice/snow.

It snowed at the rugby yesterday, a few piccies of the snow on BBC Sport Website.

Mind you I think you have got a lot more snow than us up there.

Jack, is the stuff out to the southwest now just comming into view on radar whats comming our way on monday, tuesday and wednesday