Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Royal Meteorological Society

Cookie

Posted

was a FRMet Soc as a forecaster in the Met O and was invited to do so after retiring but just an ordinary member seemed sufficient for me as a retired forecaster.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've been a member since November 1999, and have to thank my mother for actively encouraging me to join. Haven't regretted it since.

Until I became a research student most of the articles in Weather (which you get free as a member) there were over my head- a lot of it is serious climate research stuff. However, the letters and some of the less technical articles were always understandable to me, particularly articles relating to synoptic climatology, and the excellent surveys of winter snow patch survival in Scotland (some of the contributors to those also post frequently on Net-Weather as some will already be aware). Now that I'm a research student I can understand some of the more technical articles, but still by no means all of them.

The highlight of Weather, to me, has always been the Weather Log, which bears a strong resemblance to the monthly summaries over at Philip Eden's website www.climate.uk.com (the written summaries that he publishes on there are much the same as the ones in Weather). They come supplied with the synoptic charts for each day of the month and statistics from selected sites across the UK and Europe (including Russia and Southern Ireland), plus the regional sunshine, rainfall and temperature values from the Met Office and the CET supplied by Philip Eden.

The Royal Meteorological Society student conferences have proved very helpful in giving me ideas in how to set about pursuing a long-term career in the area of meteorology and climate science.