Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

It won't be getting mild!

Milder than it has been...

Below or just about average temps for the next week or so, then perhaps much colder.

Leigh...looks like raintoday has got you in for a shower from a sea-horse shaped belt of "heavier" snow....any sign of it?

Posted

UK Outlook for Monday 18 Jan 2010 to Wednesday 27 Jan 2010:

During the first part of the week there will be one or two wintry showers here and there, although most places will be dry with colder than average temperatures, icy stretches and areas of mist and freezing fog. Then later in the week it currently looks likely that a mixture of rain, sleet and snow will encroach from the southwest, with less cold conditions edging into western and northwestern areas. Then over the weekend and during the second week we are currently expecting a gradual transition to nearer normal temperatures across all areas as a southerly or southwesterly airflow becomes established across the United Kingdom. There will be rain, sleet and hill snow at times, although confidence on the timing of this transition to milder weather is currently only low.

Updated: 1253 on Wed 13 Jan 2010 :shok:

Ukmo Not having anything to do with another Cold Re-Load

UKMO V GFS & ECMWF

Lol.

Why doesn't that surprise me.

Bodes well for an Easterly blast next week :drinks:

Leigh...looks like raintoday has got you in for a shower from a sea-horse shaped belt of "heavier" snow....any sign of it?

'Fraid not. Look's like it passed to my East.

Posted

Lol.

Why doesn't that surprise me.

Bodes well for an Easterly blast next week :drinks:

'Fraid not. Look's like it passed to my East.

So it seems...but remarkable how it's intensified....was hoping it would travel east but instead looks like it's giving Clacton quite a hit

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

Just got back from a walk in the park.....pictures before it melts!!! What a lovely surprise today is, we've had almost 2 1/2" of fresh snow on top of 2" left from last week.

The BBC weatherman just mentioned a real risk of snow over the weekend in the east????????

Posted

Yes Clacton has probably gone from "Snizzle" to an Eddie "Snizzard" :shok::drinks:

:rofl:

That band has definitely intensified now and moved east...so much that I'm wondering if we'll get anything out of it! As it is we've been lucky to have been stuck under a band for a few hours now

Posted

As i said on the model thread people are looking too far ahead. The key comment in that outlook is that it will turn colder, it implies also of attacks from the sw so why do people assume that they will succeed! You have to sometimes go with experience as much as the model output, the block will not be going anywhere fast. Additionally theres an increased chance of a shortwave heading se and colder air being pulled towards the se later in the weekend combining with some rain pushing in from the sw! i won't say anymore!, remember you don't need very cold upper air in these situations, theres a very large cold surface pool over the Continent to draw on.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

laugh.gif

That band has definitely intensified now and moved east...so much that I'm wondering if we'll get anything out of it! As it is we've been lucky to have been stuck under a band for a few hours now

its now got heavier over hertford.

Posted

Well, woke up to a good 2 inch top up of the snow this morning and must admit I was suprised. Took me 3 hours to drive in to work which is only 18 miles from home!

Posted

As i said on the model thread people are looking too far ahead. The key comment in that outlook is that it will turn colder, it implies also of attacks from the sw so why do people assume that they will succeed! You have to sometimes go with experience as much as the model output, the block will not be going anywhere fast. Additionally theres an increased chance of a shortwave heading se and colder air being pulled towards the se later in the weekend combining with some rain pushing in from the sw! i won't say anymore!, remember you don't need very cold upper air in these situations, theres a very large cold surface pool over the Continent to draw on.

thanks Nick. so another case of "watch this space" eh? well heres hoping the possible PPN on saturday is either snow to top up the current lot. or rain to wash all the slush away and create a clean surface for the end of the months chances :lol:

Posted

I think Nick is right, for now what we see on the models is another attempt at an easterly shot, we are somewhat on the western edge of this right now but the models may well adjust the whole lot westward with time, its very much a wait and see set-up. I also agree that a SW attack is quite possible.

Anyway going to close this thread shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Is there snow settling in Danbury/Chelmsford? In South Woodham it's just persistent sleet.

It's been constant since 9.30 pretty much, such a waste off ppn.

Posted

its now got heavier over hertford.

That seems to be from a band that stretches from Stevenage to Brentford. for soem reason it has intensified. Why would this be? I can understand why a track over the Thames estuary might pep up the precipitation, but don't know why a band so far inland from a fizzling out front would suddenly pep up like that?