Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 5

Paul Sherman

Posted

This was an absolutely awesome day, I think I lost count of Tornadoes, we are going to have to get the stills off Video for most but we all saw at least a Cone and Huge Wedge on the Southern Most Cyclic Supercell that rampaged through Arkansas and ended up in Tennesee! We also saw a Cone and possible Wedge on the Pine Bluff Supercell and also had a close shave with a developing Tornado hich nearly dropped on our heads, could not even drive the car forward :rolleyes:

Started the day in Springfield with a Chase Target of Stuttgart, cells popped to our South West and all of them rotated at once, got the Pine Bluff Supercell pass just to our West which dropped at least 1 Cone and 1 Wedge Tornado, Lightning Bolts were Insane, then saw the 2nd Pine Bluff Supercell that nearly dropped a Tornado on our heads, RFD Measured at 85mph with a Wind Instrument. Dumped this Storm for the Storm of the Day further South which came up from Monticelli. Went down the Western Side in the Darkness for a Night Chase, the Updraught Tower was in clear air being Lit up with a Confirmed Tornado 6 miles to our South West, let the cell move 2 miles to our East and went on the underside, witnessed possibly 3 more of the 5 Tornadoes sighted on this cyclic Supercell, chased until 11pm and ended the day in Memphis (Tn) on the way into Memphis all the power went out due to Power flashes in front of us.

The boys have Insane Video of Today and Pictures to post up, they all still have their mouths wide open and e now have Severe Storms battering the Hotel as I type!

Think a few of them do not want to go home on Saturday! LOL

Paul S

Posted

I was wondering what happened to the live feed. Had been sitting watching from my desk at work here in sunny Sydney when the image just went kaput.

Enjoy all the fun and keep save.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Here's an account I sent to my family and people at work...won't retype as it will take ages lol.

Had an amazing day today, seeing several tornadoes and encountering scarily close lightning bolts.

Started off the day in Central Missouri (Springfield) and headed quickly south in to Arkansas (6th state in 5 days). After 3 and a half hours of non stop driving, and about 250 miles later, we stopped in a town called Jonesboro and had KFC. We then headed south west to a town called Stuttgart where we watched the first violent thunderstorms fire off. Very swiftly they became the most dangerous type of thunderstorm, a supercell.

We raced south from Stuttgart to some open fields, where we watched the first tornado of the day form very briefly off in the distance. Unfortunately, it was raining still so could only get limited shots. As it faded and moved off, a second area of rotation developed further South and so we jumped in the cars and raced south. As the rotation got going, massive lightning bolts started dropping towards us, bolt after bolt got closer and closer. One dropped within 100 yards (a positive bolt - the strongest you get) so we jumped in the car and fled. The storm got wrapped in heavy rain so we had a decision to make....

There was a far larger and more active storm racing north-eastwards to our South, so we jumped in to the car and fled South East towards it...after hurtling at 80mph down the roads, we eventually caught it up! There were signs of radar of a 'hook echo' (where the rain wraps into a hook shape, indicating strong rotation within the cloud) but as night had fallen we cautiously held our ground as the hook moved slightly past. What happened then was incredible - the top of the thundercloud came in to view and it was flashing like a disco - every second there was about 5 flashes (later had it confirmed at 300 flashes per MINUTE) - there were bolts dropping all across the sky - it was insane.

We decided to try and tail this storm and did so for over 100 miles. As it was night time we kept our safe distance at the rear of the storm, behind where tornadoes form. All along the trip we saw tornado after tornado drop at various times during the chase - we are reviewing the video footage we took (not me personally) to clarify how many and how big they were. Along the chase we heard many towns tornado sirens going off! We chased the storm so far, we ended up in Memphis, Tennessee (our SEVENTH state)!!! As we got to Memphis, the storm reintensified and then the sirens were going off. We decided to lay off this storm as by this point it was moving too quick - but...

Memphis (where we are staying tonight) has suffered severe flooding! Since this morning, there has been about a FOOT AND A HALF of rain, which further East in Memphis, bridges have been washed away! We had a quick bite to eat in McDonalds, when radar showed something interesting! A further line of tornado warned thunderstorms had erupted to our SW and were moving NE. About 45 mins later, the leading edge of the storms hit, bringing very strong winds (severe gale force approx) and exceptionally heavy rain. Then further spectacular lightning arrived, with one bolt landing about 50 metres from the hotel! We all raced outside under the overhang and got soaked, lol!

That storm cleared, and now he I am writing this email.

Regrettably, due to the dangerous nature of the storms and the incenscent rain, I didn't get many photos (dont want to damage camera in the rain and/or get hurt). But, the others got amazing video which hopefully I'll be able to get copies of.

Today was simply awesome - multiple tornadoes, very close lightning, amazing cloudscapes, two supercells, active squall following on after all of this!! Incredible - though not liking too much this ridge building in next week :rolleyes:

Posted

Here is some video of the VERY close lightning strikes everyone saw on the live feed. You wanted to hear the sound? Well you got it!

Edited by UkStormChaser

Posted

Here is some video of the VERY close lightning strikes everyone saw on the live feed. You wanted to hear the sound? Well you got it!

WOW great video clip :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Fantastic stuff, just goes to show that although you think you are far enough away fro the storm, lightning strikes can appear fro the most innocuous places. I guess that's what kill people.

Stay safe and looking forward to some more pictures & footage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Guys,

Sounds like your having an AMAZING tour right now, I am very jealous! Although getting very excited for tour 2!

Hope the rest of the tour stays as active and that there is some left for me and the other guys heading out on the 8th!!

:rolleyes:

Posted

like the video sounds like your having a great time

just been looking at GR3 and other radars looks like there are some strong cells forming to SW of memphis they look to be heading for the red dot on the gps map think you may be in for a loud early morning awakening possibly even siren activations so be carefull thats if theres anyone up to read thisgood.gif

Posted

This is a screen capture and description of a TVS (Tornado Vortex Signature) of a strong tornado that just hit a town called Ashland in Tennessee. Fatality's have been reported with this tornado and people also unaccounted for.

Posted

Sounds absolutely amazing, I was watching the live feed until about midnight but I wish I had hung in there for another few hours.

I cant wait to see everyones pictures and videos.

Edited by jamo_s

Posted

stayed up til 3.15 to watch. The night chasing looked absolutely awesome. I'm pretty sure that as you approached the hook, i could see (through the lightning) a funnel dropping just off to your left. I must say the footage and your dedication to get it is very much appreciated. Maybe next year i may just get to see it for myself.

Posted

i also stayed up till 2am last night and loved the big CG lightning and that the guys ran straight back to the cars! after keeping updated with this and last 2 chases i am actually considering joining the team in the next 2 years!! always wanted to storm chase when i was a child! good work guys! cant wait to see the footage!

Posted

i also stayed up till 2am last night and loved the big CG lightning and that the guys ran straight back to the cars! after keeping updated with this and last 2 chases i am actually considering joining the team in the next 2 years!! always wanted to storm chase when i was a child! good work guys! cant wait to see the footage!

I lasted about the same, defo going to go for my 50th birthday in 4 years, watching live feed just covinces me more

Posted

Wouldn't surprise me at all Paul if you did get several tornadoes on the Pine Bluff system, it was probably the 2nd most impressive cell to look at on the radar.

The southern cell was deffo the storm of the day though, it had a really intense look to it, no doubt because it was one of the few cells with an uninterrupted feed from the Gulf with the best moisture about, the other cells further north were pretty well hemmed in, but havin developed from Warren and keeping a pretty decent hook Echo the whole way along AR, it was certainly the most impressive system...I suspected you'd probably drop south to catch that when it developed that hook....I know I'd have done the same in that situation.

Also to say the same as the others, the live stream this year really is amazing to watch, no doubt about it, really does feel like your there.

Posted

:D:nea:

Posted

Amazing lightning. Kids have been sat watching with their mouths open.. They want to know why you all went back into the cars... I told them it's coz you're all scaredy cats.. :D I did add that I would have done the same.. :nea:

Fantastic footage..

Posted

Truely awsome day for you guys thrilled to bits for you :nea::D and some amazing lightning there as well and with some more active days to come you are really being treated to mother nature at her best/worst just leave a super cell or 2 for the rest of us coming out on tours 2,3 and 4 lol well will be watching later to see what you get up to happy hunting

Ian

Posted

Wow oh wow!!! What an amazing day for you all! The lightening looks stunning and to see all of those tornadoes must have been something else. I can not tell you how jealous I am sitting at home watching all of this taking place on the other side of the pond! But I hope you get to see many more before the tour finishes.

Take care and be safe!

Tammy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Amazing lightning. Kids have been sat watching with their mouths open.. They want to know why you all went back into the cars... I told them it's coz you're all scaredy cats.. :lol: I did add that I would have done the same.. :D

Fantastic footage..

Yes nice lightning and yes it was getting just a little close. The transformers on the power lines close by were buzzing which also gave one a little cause for concern. All in all a good days chasing and say hi to your kids.

Tom

Posted

Wow oh wow!!! What an amazing day for you all! The lightening looks stunning and to see all of those tornadoes must have been something else. I can not tell you how jealous I am sitting at home watching all of this taking place on the other side of the pond! But I hope you get to see many more before the tour finishes.

Take care and be safe!

Tammy

We miss you Tammy. No one is looking out for us and Paul is being mean to us all! :lol:

Posted

Truely awsome day for you guys thrilled to bits for you :D :lol: and some amazing lightning there as well and with some more active days to come you are really being treated to mother nature at her best/worst just leave a super cell or 2 for the rest of us coming out on tours 2,3 and 4 lol well will be watching later to see what you get up to happy hunting

Ian

Nice to hear from you Ian. Sure miss you on the trip. Looking forward to seeing you over here.

Tom

Posted

Take care and be safe!

Tammy

Hi Tammy

Hope you ok and you would have enjoyed the show we miss you this year.

Tom

Posted

When we get back to the Hotel in Norman we will Upload some pictures. This is a Wedge Tornado pictured when we stopped and got out of the car about 5 Miles North of De Witt (Ar) It looks to be about 1/2 Mile Wide. Arron also has some very good Cg Lightning pics to go with it.

Paul S