Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Paul Sherman 72Oz Steak Challenge - Chase 2010 - Day 8

Paul Sherman

Posted

Tomorrow we will be heading North Westwards to sample the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillo!

Will use Highway 287 from Decatur passing through Wichita Falls, Childress and the Texas Panhandle Towns along the way, we might even be lucky enough to do some Dust Devil Chasing as temps look to rise into the High 80's with low Dewpoints.

Paul S

Posted
As thunderstorms began rocking the Tennessee Valley about 6 p.m. Sunday, a meteorologist saw a jagged red splotch dominating the Chattanooga radar.

“The main story’s the rain,” said David Gaffin, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Morristown, Tenn. “It’s going to stay over us for a long time and accumulate enough to cause some flooding problems.”

Forecasts indicate that storms will linger into the morning before gradually leaving the area by this afternoon. NewsChannel 9 meteorologist Allison Chinchar said she expects 2 to 3 inches of rain into this morning, but some areas could see 6.

It wasn’t clear which areas would be wettest.

“A lot of stuff is firing up in Mississippi and Alabama, but a lot of it hasn’t formed yet,” she said. “Two miles away there could be regular showers, and in your neighborhood you could have 5 inches.”

Several experts were concerned that the South Chickamauga Creek could overflow, a thought that had Mr. Gaffin a little worried about this morning.

“That creek is expected to get up to 18 and a half feet, which is barely above its flood stage of 18 feet,” Mr. Gaffin said. “The good thing is, I don’t think it’ll be as bad as what happened over in Middle and West Tennessee.”

A devastating and deadly line of thunderstorms rocked Tennessee and northern Mississippi over the weekend, killing at least 15 people, closing scores of highways, and leaving weeks of cleanup for thousands of residents whose homes were damaged.

Thousands of residents were evacuated and hundreds of others were rescued from their homes — some plucked from rooftops — as floodwaters from swollen rivers and creeks inundated neighborhoods across the region. Hospitals, schools and state buildings also were flooded.

Tennessee officials said Sunday the flooding is the worst since the mid-1970s. Tornadoes or high winds killed at least four people, unexpected flash floods swept some unsuspecting residents to their deaths and an untold number of homes were flooded as urban drainage systems and watersheds struggled to remove the deluge.

Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen called it an “unprecedented rain event,” but that failed to capture the magnitude. More than 13 inches of rain fell in Nashville over a two-day period, nearly doubling the previous record of 6.68 inches that fell in the wake of Hurricane Fredrick in 1979.

Flooding and damage were so widespread in Tennessee that Gov. Bredesen asked the state’s Army National Guard to help and dozens of vehicles and personnel were put to work rescuing stranded residents. Nashville Mayor Karl Dean reported more than 600 water rescues in the city alone.

At least 11 people died in Tennessee.

The state had multiple interstates closed over the weekend including sections of I-40 and I-24. Gov. Bredesen said in Middle Tennessee alone more than 150 roads were closed.

www.timesfreepress.com

Go careful guys!!!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

So, anyone going to be brave enough to do the 72oz steak challenge? Will Ian remain unchallenged this year?

Posted

Definately a quiet few days to come (barring the blowback from the Steakhouse) but Tour 2 could well drop into it big time. Early indications of a four day episode beginning this weekend, with the pattern backing west so that some panhandle dryline magic looks on the cards Sunday - Tuesday.

Posted

Definately a quiet few days to come (barring the blowback from the Steakhouse) but Tour 2 could well drop into it big time. Early indications of a four day episode beginning this weekend, with the pattern backing west so that some panhandle dryline magic looks on the cards Sunday - Tuesday.

You have put a smile on my face....The charts have picked this up right from last week and have not backed down...

Loving the Cape value's and a nice jet setup across the Panhandle :whistling:

wondering if Kansas will see most of the action as this unfolds..

Edited by dogs32

Posted

You have put a smile on my face....The charts have picked this up right from last week and have not backed down...

Loving the Cape value's and a nice jet setup across the Panhandle whistling.gif

wondering if Kansas will see most of the action as this unfolds..

LOL - I wouldn't take my analysis too seriously as I've been out by up to 100 miles on each of the last three chase days doh.gif

Having said that it's important for anyone interested in severe weather, especially the Plains tornado season, to keep plugging away in the hope that experience improves one's abilities!

Tour 1 have seen plenty of action and a few calm days to let the adrenaline return to normal may not be a bad thing, though once bitten by the bug it's understandable to want more.

Posted

Team are now on the road and headed to the big texan!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

Need some help here - we need some good old fashioned peer pressure to get Mr Sherman to do the 72oz challenge - if you want to see this happen, please post in here or put your name on our facebook campaign:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Netweathertv/8623474325

We have 4 hours or so before they get there, let's make them count!!!!!

Posted

I concur that the team leader should go for it! :)

Posted

Ok here's the deal.....

If we can convince Paul S to do the challenge and he manages to pass it, then we will collect the names of everyone who has commented on our facebook page, in this thread or retweeted on twitter into a draw to win a free place on one of the 2011 tours...

I know though we're going to need some significant persuasion though, so please get yourselves into campaign mode and make this happen!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If it's good enough for Homer J then what the hey eh?

72oz's Hmmmm, a tad peckish now meself........

Posted

How can we be getting less responses in this thread than on facebook - nw members are you out there!!! :D

All you have to do is post to let Paul S know he should be taking the 72oz challenge and you could win your place on the 2011 chase - what on earth are you waiting for?!

Posted

Only a real chaser would take up the challenge............... :D :unsure: :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Come on Paul show us all how its done

Loving the reports and pictures so far, great work team totally hooked

Paul, I can see only two options you have,

1/ To go for the challenge in Amarillo Texas OR

2/ I will have the challenge for you here in Worcestershire and get you a juicy 72oz for the storm chase BBQ!! Ha Ha!! :D Great work lads, love the pics etc...keep them coming....Best Wishes Ian.

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Oh the excuses he'll come out with... Ive not prepared , erm, i'll be bad all day tomorrow...!!

I'll second that there Potty, only REAL STORMCHASERS try the 72oz challange.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Go for it Paul!

Webcams are on the homepage for later...

http://www.bigtexan.com/

Just found Ian's entry from last year, page 28...

http://www.bigtexan.com/72oz%20steak%20eaters.pdf

Surprisingly nobody from the UK has completed it since Ian!

Posted

Go for it Paul, you have been enough times and not attempted it :D I don't think you have anyway!

I'll gaurantee I'll book 2 spaces on 2 tours for next year if you manage to finish it :unsure: