Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

You Have One Wish To Change The Uk Weather What Would You Do

Posted

Warm, BUT not humid then storms during the evening and overnight in summer. Winter Cold with Snow events pushing up from SW hitting the cold air turning to snow across many areas of the uk including the South Coast.drinks.gif

Posted

As I've said before - go to Iceland! Fits in perfectly with those desires and it's also a lovely country to be in too.

That's why mums go to Iceland!

I think i'd have to agree with TM, but i would like it to be drier and cooler in summer, clear skies with temps no high than 20C with a northerly breeze.

Edited by guitarnutter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Thing is even though British weather isn't the most reliable, i prefer it this way as the weather is changing so much neally every day which is what makes the weather more interesting.

Though the one thing i do wish for is more snow in the winter for this part of the world and even more thunderstorms during summer :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The one thing I certainly wouldn't change about Britain's climate is the way we can get pretty much any known type of weather, except for the most damaging weather types. There aren't many other places in the world that can boast the same, in terms of large variety yet comparitive safety.

However, some weather types occur far more frequently than others, and therein lies my main area of dissatisfaction with the British climate- most types with "convection" or "snow" in the description occur rarely, while most types with "cloudy" in the description occur frequently. Similarly, synoptic patterns default to "persistent" rather than "episodic". So, perhaps another possible wish would simply be to have that reversed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

A shield to block anything coming from the SW quadrant....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I would go for more reliable blocking to the North East, cold in winter with ppn hitting from the SW giving lots of dumpings of snow and in summer blocking more to the e/se dragging in hot sunny weather.

Posted

for summer weather, i would have, greenland low pressure and heat from africa penetrating right up to the tips of scandi and this would be a typical pattern for the uk. also, have more summer storms.

also more extremes like American snow storms and temperatures in London in winter around -10 constantly at night and when big cold snaps come going down to -20, making Thames freeze over :unknw: Also, massive hail storms, size of gold balls....

In spring, have weather like Denver CO, where it snows one day and can be 25 the next.

Autumn and winter(again), very windy. I know autumn can be pretty stormy, but how about an Atlantic type conveyor belt coming form Scandinavia, instead of the north west or west, meaning n-easterly winds and resulting in bitter wind chill and blizzards. Can you imagine having a November 2009 repeat, but the wind and rain coming from Scandinavia. that would bring some of the worst snow in history or in world history potentially. Remember Cumbria, if it was all snow falling instead of rain.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

Winter: Northern Blocking to the north of scotland like last winter.

Summer: High Pressure to the East of Us bring warm southerly's and would give us hotter summers.

Posted

A good suggestion: Add 10C onto all the temperatures anywhere in the UK at any time year, then it would be a "temperate" climate in my opinion ! clap.gif

Posted

Winter: Northern Blocking to the north of scotland like last winter.

Summer: High Pressure to the East of Us bring warm southerly's and would give us hotter summers.

I'd go along with that. Would make Britain a very interesting place to live, weatherwise!

Add in the previous "get some mountains" suggestion and you'd have a great combination. Something like the Pennines, but triple the height and a bit longer. Would make Britains weather far more interesting and diverse, and you'd get some great phenomena that are currently rare/unheard of like frequent and major barrier jets, significant foehn winds, massive rain in the west.

Hopefully, terraforming will make this possible in the future :lol:

Posted

A good suggestion: Add 10C onto all the temperatures anywhere in the UK at any time year, then it would be a "temperate" climate in my opinion ! clap.gif

we usually see temps in the low 30s in summer every now and then. imagine adding 10c to all temps, we would be in the low 40s!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

After recent debates in the Convective Discussion threads, another one to add to the "less frontal & more convective precipitation": make our "sunshine and showers" days more akin to those on the continent. Many of our such days feature convective cloud "flattening" underneath a cap leading to cloudy afternoons, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of rain- Norwich had this progression on every day from 12-14 May inclusive.

During my holidays in various parts of France, when I've had "sunshine and showers" (known over there as "le soleil et des averses") there has been a clear tendency for more sunshine, more vigorous convection, more well-defined cloud formations, shorter sharper rainstorms and higher thunderstorm chances. It could well be due to less maritime influence and less wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I would love it if we could have more thunderstorms and more intense ones, then more snow in winter! Because where i live, we don't normally get that many thunderstorms a year, maybe 1 day a year with proper thunderstorms, 2 if we are lucky. And in winter, i always hear about places getting days of snow and a foot or more of snow and we never get that here, we normally get 1 day in winter where we have proper snow, and its normally only around 5/6inches. So i guess i'd like just a bit more extreme weather throughout the year, and as someone else said, proper defined seasons :)