Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

You Have One Wish To Change The Uk Weather What Would You Do

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

You could...

Double the time it takes the Earth to go around the Sun.

Ok so it's a longer winter but a longer warmer summer (same Earth tilt).

Increase the Earths tilt to 40 degrees more extreme winters and summers.

Keep all as is but put some decent small mountain ranges in England so you could ski locally or at least drive to snow in the winter (this would influence weather patterns).

Slow the Earth down so it rotates once every 100hrs , interesting mins at night and max during the day .

Keep all as is but let water freeze at 5c (I like this one)

Keep as is and look out at the lamppost for snow at 4am

What would you do ? rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Substantially reduce the amount of frontal activity associated with depressions.

That way, during settled spells, we'd see less in the way of frontal cloud penetrating into the areas of high pressure. In the meantime, unsettled spells would see predominantly convective precipitation associated with polar maritime types, and just occasional frontal precipitation, rather than the other way around.

Posted

Drag the whole lot to the same latitude and position as Bermuda.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I like the increase of Earth tilt - more extreme seasons with longer, summer days with sun higher but even shorter winter days. No doubt a mass extinction would follow so maybe not...

I think one factor I'd like to change is to have less cloud overall. Clear skies = better weather in general!

I like the tilted earth idea but would worry about the impact as Bottesford points out. So maybe we could do a gradual tilt year on year and see where it gets us?

From a selfish point of view if where I lived was at least 1,500ft higher up then I'd be quids in most winters for plenty of snow.

Posted

I like this one ...

Keep all as is but put some decent small mountain ranges in England so you could ski locally or at least drive to snow in the winter (this would influence weather patterns).

I'm not sure about small ....I'm thinking NZ type ranges....think the southern alps (skiing) and a couple of volcanos for Scotland ie; Mt Ruapehu (our own ash ..not imported Icelandic muck!)

Edited by Kiwi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I like the increase of Earth tilt - more extreme seasons with longer, summer days with sun higher but even shorter winter days. No doubt a mass extinction would follow so maybe not...

The problem is…

If Q is around and Picard says 'make it so' do we have problems with the above wishes ?.

I assume if you slowed down the Earths rotation to 100hr days rather then 23 hours 56 minutes 04. 09053 seconds ish at presnt in one day it would melt the Earths crust ?

So you would have to be done in 10000s of years or more I guess??

I thought this was interesting

------------

The Earth's slowing rotation also had a profound effect on its climate over the ages. In the past, the stronger angular momentum caused the Earth's ocean waters to concentrate more in the tropical and subtropical regions. The Earth's tidal bulges, due to this concentration, were greater also. This left the oceans in the pole regions very shallow. Even today the Arctic Ocean's average depth is more shallow then the oceans in the equatorial regions. Also the continent of Antarctica's plateau has greater average height above sea level then the other continents, even though burdened with heavy glaciers.

-----------

Edited by stewfox

Posted

In an ideal world for me the Summers would be longer and warm or hot everyyear.

Months of hot sunshine with cooler still sunny interludes with the odd convective thunderstorm day and some cracking thunderstorms by night to keep a drought ever occuring, the atlantic could bugger off till Late September every year then southerly tracking lows in Winter bringing massive snow events followed by Northerly Blasts and an occasional big freeze from the east mixed out by week long spells of lovely sunshine, harsh frosts and a few icedays.

A 1963 winter followed by 1976 summers and sunny Springs basically, Autumn is my least favourite season, the weather could carry on the same as would be normally then :good:.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

First of all I would tilt the Earth so the UK is currently a little further south than it is, (perhaps 35-40 degrees lattitude), but with the same usual weather patterns we have now.

aka warmer and more humid!

Truth is, I can live without snow and frost, but I hate the darkness in winter.

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

My wish relates to the May to September period only : Double (at least) the length of time the whole of the UK is dominated by anticyclonic conditions -- ie reliably warmer, drier, sunnier summers.

Rest of time : maybe more snow in the winter, otherwise no particular change.

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think one factor I'd like to change is to have less cloud overall. Clear skies = better weather in general!

My "less frontal activity" wish would be one way of achieving that, although there will be other ways as well. One snag of my wish, which I didn't really think of at the time, is that it would do nothing about anticyclonic low cloud delivered via tropical maritime Atlantic airmasses or from the North Sea, so perhaps "less cloud overall" would be a better way of achieving the goal I was looking for!

Posted

That the seasons were clearly defined (as we would expect them according to tradition) with the appropriate weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Perhaps a bit more in the way of extremes in the weather with higher convection levels, plus slightly higher drops in temperature between sunshine and showers. For example, the temperature could be around 20*C in the sun, and as soon as a shower arrives, the temperature drop over 14*C or more to allow wintry precipitation to fall down to low levels.

Except for that, I would probably keep the weather as it is, well, maybe a little bit more in the way of snow during the Winter. smile.gif

That the seasons were clearly defined (as we would expect them according to tradition) with the appropriate weather.

If only :lol:

That would be great. Go to bed one night with a howling gale, lashing rain and leaves everywhere and wake up in the morning with a blanket of snow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Simple LOL i would like to reverse the earths rotation, so prevailing wind is from the east, hot summers and bitter winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Hmm I like the idea of the UK being at about the same latitude as Spain, so southern England at about 35 degrees north, and the top of Scotland at about 44 degrees.

This would mean:

Warmer, reliable summers with less cloud, more sunshine.

Slightly shorter summer days sad.gif but slightly longer winter days biggrin.gif

A bigger difference in the current climate. In January it could be 20C in London quite easily, and cold and snowy in Scotland.

A longer summer period of mid April - mid October in the south, May to September in the north.

More extremes, 45C possible in the south (maybe not so great lol)

Never really a winter in my area, warm enough for T Shirt weather all year round, but in the north not so.

Posted

I would prefer a more continental European climate, colder and snowier in the winter with hot and dryer weather in the summer, the weather is a lot more reliable and much easier to predict!

Posted

I would like season to be hot in summer, warm in Autumn, cold in winter and mild in spring. I know that is what it should be but it never is.

Rain should only come at night apart from summer when thunderstorms would be ordered for a time when everyone could watch and enjoy from their chosen place. Mine being inside at the bedroom window.

Snow would cover the whole of the country when it arrived so that no-one (like myself :rofl:) could whinge when they get left out! And it would also be announced well in advance so that all the cold haters could go on holiday for the duration and we wouldn't have to hear them whinge.

Ah if only!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'd lower the mean annual temperature by 4c and increase the precipitation by 50%.

Or is that two things?

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

How about the UK floating around so that the maximum every day is around 21 deg C? So it'll be where it is in summer and migrate south with the swallows in winter.

Alternatively I guess I could just move to Nairobi and slap on more sunscreen...

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I'd lower the mean annual temperature by 4c and increase the precipitation by 50%.

Or is that two things?

Any one on hills like ourselves would be snow bound for months if you did that... help.gif Would be kinda fun tho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Or is that two things?

As I've said before - go to Iceland! Fits in perfectly with those desires and it's also a lovely country to be in too. If I didn't like not feeling cold all the time I'd be up there myself!

Do like the idea of stealing Spain's position though - shorter but still cold winters (in the interior at least) and longer, hotter summers. Longer days in winter but yes shorter days in summer - but not really a problem since they run on Euro time meaning it's still light till 9pm but just you don't waste daylight at 5am like we do!

Given the current awful weather I'd do anything to change our climate for the better - today is just horrible, especially tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

reduce the winter rainfall by 25% and reduce the humidity especially in summer...maybe lower the winter ave temperature a degree or two..otherwise no change.