Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Report & Pictures Chase Day 22

Paul Sherman

Posted

Wow Wow Wow

This will rank in my top 3 of all Chases ever out here. We bagged the Most Insane Structure - Got 3 Tornadoes including a Massive Cone Tornado 2 Miles East of Dumas. Heard Hail Roar! Pat has Mike Hollingshead style Timelapse! Danny sent to Hospital on route.

Started the day in Lubbock with a revised Chase Target of Dumas upon looking at latest Models. As we were approaching Amarillo Danny became very unwell, so we had to check him into a Medical Centre. This did not lose us time and as we were nearing Dumas I noticed the Dryline firing off the Cell of the Day. We grabbed a bite to eat and then headed West out of Dumas on Highway 87. The view in front of us was the most Beautiful LP Structure that was beginning to head into Classic Stage. We got ourselves right into the Notch area and the Structure before us was almost surreal.

Beautiful double banding inflow clouds with wrapping rain curtains, then the 1st Tornado came out of the rain at 545pm west of Dumas. I noticed the Supercell was starting to right turn so headed back east towards Dumas, we then caught up with the Chaser Circus and went South then East again before Stopping to witness our 2nd Tornado and this one was Massive, on the SPC It is listed as 2 Miles East of Dumas. We then headed furth east and North East and had a Tornado literally drop on the road in front of us at Stinnett!

The Hail roar we heard today was up there with the best I have heard, also Dave and Jo's banter gets better every day! Todays offering was priceless as we had a Circulation forming over our heads and Dave was filming and not getting into the Car. The following is an extract from Jo!

Cars, Cars, DAVE CAR!!! Get into the F**king Car you Retard! Dave then meanders over LOL

Dont F**king Laugh at me!!

Hahaha She is not called Tannoy Jo for nothing!

I enjoyed this day so much - For the Chase Target and how we chased this Supercell, this really was the Storm of the 2010 Season for us so far!

Pictures and Amazing Video Clips to Follow!

Paul S & Team

Posted

cant wait to the pics and footage from this :ph34r:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Great to see you had a great day Paul. What a fantastic way for tour 2 to end their chase. That meso looked spectacular on the streaming as well. Pity ~I went to bed before the second tornado touched down. Well done in getting the chase area spot on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Top stuff, looking forward to the photos & videos

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Yes was enjoyable even from here..!! Live stream was spectacular... Once youve dropped of your guests at DFW you need to put ya 'foot to the floor' and race back to Oklahoma for what could be another outstanding chase day.

UNLIKE MAY 10...WEAKER FLOW REGIME RESULTS IN SLOWER STORM/BUNKERS

CELL MOTION OF ENE AROUND 25 KT...AS OPPOSED TO ENE AT 50KT.

FURTHERMORE...INSTABILITY APPEARS A BIT WEAKER. NONETHELESS...A

POTENTIALLY VOLATILE STRONG TORNADO SITUATION MAY EVOLVE ACROSS

PORTIONS OF CNTRL OK DURING THE AFTERNOON...POSSIBLY MOVING TOWARD

ERN OK INTO THE EVENING. THIS IS A RELATIVELY LIMITED GEOGRAPHIC

AREA OF GREATER TORNADO POTENTIAL. COMBINED WITH THE POSSIBILITY

THAT FORECAST CERTAINTY CAN INCREASE WITH THE LIGHT OF DAY...GREATER

TORNADO PROBABILITIES...AND AN UPGRADE TO HIGH RISK...MAY OCCUR IN

SUBSEQUENT OUTLOOKS.

Posted

post-24-12742523934085_thumb.jpg - Classic Supercell with Meso

post-24-12742524012895_thumb.jpg - Structure Heaven

post-24-12742524101275_thumb.jpg - Hartley Tornado

post-24-12742524253014_thumb.jpg - Our Position

post-24-12742524325682_thumb.jpg - Insane Supercell

post-24-12742524408548_thumb.jpg - The Team in front of the Now Dissipating Tornado East of Dumas

post-24-12742524519643_thumb.jpg - Huge Tornado East of Dumas

We have just seen Pat's Timelapse of the Hartley Tornado and it is nothing short of Spectacular - When Upload Speeds allow tomorrow you will be amazed, It literally crosses the Screen from Left to Right

Others have even more amazing footage of the Stinnett Tornado that formed about 1/2 Mile down the Road from us.

Paul S & Team

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I checked in at 2am to my motel and am in the middle of the most insane thunderstorm I've ever been in. Didn't chase that big storm the team were on. Went up to SE Colorado and then jumped south onto the cell coming out of NM into Texas. It was the most beautiful LP I've ever seen, and as the sun set, it went mental with tornado after tornado. 2 at the same time at one point. Bloody video camera didn't work too well but I'm sure I've got a few of them lightning illuminated on my still camera!

Chased the storm east, and it was showing Greensburg style lightning, and a redonkulous couplet. The southern flank of the storm was sheilded by rain and I think I got occasional views of either a floor scraping wall cloud or a large wedge but I couldn't tell. It had been doing the floor scraping wall cloud thing ever since sunset, so hopefully, the towns in the path were spared a big tornado..

VEry difficult day with horrible data issues. Without those, I'd have dropped onto your storm, and not the other and I'm sure both were equally amazing to watch so I'm not to upset. Still not sure why I couldn't access SPC or get any warning data all day, but Net wEather and other sites were fine...

I ain't sleeping tonight... it's strobing outside, 2-3 flashes per second :ph34r: Lot's of loud CGs...

In Perryton at the moment...

Edit... Great Shots Paul.. That thing looked every bit as good as I thought it would I guess!

Posted

Think that's as close as you need to be to that dumas tornado..........massive

Posted

Thanks Nathan!

When I catch up with you this week with Tour 3 will show you all of Pats Timelapses - They are like a frickin Merry Go Round - This thing was rotating for 5 Hours!

We also had to leave our Storm as it was strobing at about 180 flashes per minute to stagger the journey to DFW - Just killed me leaving a full blown Supercell 5 miles to my East :ph34r:

Will be up in Western Oklahoma for the main show tomorrow afternoon now I am Red Bulled Up! LOL

Paul S

Posted

Classic Supercell with Meso

Stunning shots team!!! Makes me very jealous but of course, our season has yet to start..... :ph34r:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Beautiful LP Cell with wall cloud beginning to form at the near edge.

post-1731-12742547237211_thumb.jpg

Sunset backlit the wall cloud which had some crazy motions.

post-1731-12742547733694_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12742547859959_thumb.jpg

Wall Cloud now looking utterly insane. It was essentially just a conveyor belt of cloud feeding into the storm. The rising motion was immense. Tried to get closer to see if there was any contact but got hailed on by 1 inch hail and bailed after the first pinged off the window with a loud thud... :lol: Watched this for a fair while and as dark set, it consolidated and dropped a few brief spinups west of Dalhart. Sure these will show up better on the video camera however!

post-1731-12742548264096_thumb.jpg

The storm split and the left split was what produced all of the following tornadoes (unusually). This tornado was roping out when I finally got a still of it. I'd taken a mud road by mistake (6 miles of mud road in fact!) and couldn't stop for fear of getting stuck. I was sideways for half of that drive! This tornado actually appeared to be a violent stovepipe at one point with a satellite tornado. The wall cloud to the right of the tornado goes on to produce the next tornado. I think I have a photo of it almost touching down but I moved to a new location shortly after.

post-1731-12742548392982_thumb.jpg

Multiple vortices with a massive wall cloud near Stratford. I only reported this as a funnel cloud originally, but I have 5 or 6 back to back photos with the right funnel touching ground!

post-1731-12742548689224_thumb.jpg

Tornado pretty much over Stratford. Not sure if it was the other side or not

post-1731-12742548793141_thumb.jpg

Token lightning shot :ph34r:

post-1731-12742548945986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gorky

Posted

Awesome pictures and live chase footage earlier today, looks as though Wednesday will produce strong tornados in w/c OK possibly not far from OKC and possibly down towards SPS. I see the action is only slowly dying out tonight with a tornado still being reported near Borger. I would not be surprised to see a PDS alert tomorrow, considering the increase in dynamics from today's strong storms, this could become high-end medium if not high risk.

Hoping I might get a picture of something interesting here as we also have a severe storm risk in the afternoon and evening (around 02z), check out the strong winds aloft in my area by 00z -- now if that was hitting the explosive mix in OK, well luckily it isn't, but you don't need it.

Posted

Nice pics there Gorky

Posted

Awesome virtual and real chase last night - there was a really tight couplet on the Dumas monster for several hours and the structure was amazing. Surprised there weren't a few more cells given the situation but the one in the TX panhandle certainly made up for that.

This evening looks similar to 10th May but slower storm motions and the chance of a warm front rider could make it a night to remember - hopefully not for the wrong reasons.

I assume someone will open a discussion for this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

OMFG! I am SOOOOOOO jealous it's unreal! Both those storms seem incredible...stunning pics chaps!

Can't wait to see this timelapse by Pat :D

Forecasting severe stratus this afternoon here so you can see why I'm foaming at the mouth for those pics :lol:...on the plus side, temps in 70s lol

EDIT - In fact there is no severe convective weather forecast for the whole of Europe...joy :cray:

Edited by Harry

Posted

I watched the whole of this on the Vortex2 live streaming as well as yours, I had to go to bed before I could catch a glimpse of the hail shrouded tornado. Looks good again today for supercell formation!

Posted

you guys deffo hit the jackpot last night!!!!!! cant wait to see the footage!

Posted

Fantastic stuff guys.. What a send off you got. I hope team 3 get their fair share..

Fantastic!! Just absolutely fantastic!!

Posted

Unreal! Beautiful photos Paul and Nathan. Can't wait until we can get to see Pat's footage as well! Must have been awesome to be on it.

Just one day....... one day like that is all I ask!!

SAM

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Stunning stuff guys - they don't call it Panhandle Magic for nothing, wishing I was there :D:clap:

Paul, make sure you don't burn yourself out with these long days! You can't rely on redbull to keep you going.

Posted

Looking at the dopler..............Norman looks interesting

Posted

hi guys and girls there are vids in the highlight section were the streaming is of the tornados we bagged awsome footage hope you enjoy

Posted

hi guys and girls there are vids in the highlight section were the streaming is of the tornados we bagged awsome footage hope you enjoy

Jesus would have to seen those, great rotation on pats one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Awesome footage Pat!!