Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

One Of The Most Important Scientific Achievements In The History Of Mankind?

Coast

Posted
It is already being described as "one of the most important scientific achievements in the history of mankind" - a new, entirely artificial life form created in a laboratory. It is not a clone, or a genetically modified organism, but a synthetic living cell.

It is being hailed as a huge scientific step, but some are saying it is a step too far.

news.bbc.co.uk

So, a step too far or the beginning of a new way to make magic vaccines and clean up pollution?

Is it, as some have described, 'playing God' and the opening of Pandora's box?

I suspect this could become a heated debate, so please be mindful of what you post and respect the views of others!

Posted

news.bbc.co.uk

I suspect this could become a heated debate, so please be mindful of what you post and respect the views of others!

Did you remember to feed the gas meter this morning?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ah the new super human is on the way or the new super bug. Now could they design it too cure the common cold???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I do not have any problems with this on a 'playing God' perspective - if we are coming from that and any religious angle in general, God would not have empowered us with the capabilities of doing it if he did not feel it just that we could experiment and subsequently use the technology, not only for the benefit of mankind but also flora and fauna alike - cue the "yeah but God gave us the capabilities to murder so are saying we should because we can"...that is a rather futile argument...we can happily use various technologies to keep people alive, with the exception of a few religious groups (life support machines, drug use etc), so where is the distinction between keeping someone alive whom God presumably desires to die (i.e as they are ill, injured etc) and creating new life?

My personal hang up with it, is the same as with things like nuclear development. Things that can benefit us in a massive way, tend to have the abilities to harm is equal measure should it go wrong, either physically, mentally, socially, environmentally, economically or politically (no relative importance on that order).

Developing living organisms, can range from life saving bodily organs to deadly bacterium and viruses, not only because it could be manipulated by those of a particularly dark (evil) disposition but also accidentally.

While I have no hangs up based on ethical or moral grounds, I really do think it is something which should be treated with the UPMOST care and UPMOST regulation, as this kind of thing could potentially 'save the world' and 'end the world' in equal measure...

Sounds rather emphatic...but that is in fact reality.

Edited by Harry