Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What A Load Of Rubbish

Posted

bbc have my postcode down as dropping to 5c tonight,meto have it no lower than 8c.netweather have it as -1c,big variations there and a big thanks to being a member of this site.

all plants in the tunnels are now covered with fleece and the greenhouse heating has been activated.

i know who i trust lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Wasn't expecting such a cold night, GFS charts show temps around freezing for us...

post-3392-12748075669292_thumb.png

Unless this cloud shifts we won't get anywhere near freezing, but certainly worth protecting the plants, which you wouldn't have done going by the BBC and Meto.

Posted

Wasn't expecting such a cold night, GFS charts show temps around freezing for us...

Unless this cloud shifts we won't get anywhere near freezing, but certainly worth protecting the plants, which you wouldn't have done going by the BBC and Meto.

hi Mark,the beeb site has my postcode down as newcastle.well whats 14 miles and god knows how many feet asl B)

Posted

it's shifted now,after a full day of low cloud cover the skies have cleared from the north and we now have sunshine for the first time today.

should clear over you shortly Mark,so i'm going with the NW temp prediction.

Posted

Already down to 7ºC at Newcastle - possibly your nearest site on XCW?

Brrrr...

Posted

down to 6c and falling away nicely here in the sticks.well done to the team for providing a more likely temp outcome on here.

Posted

down to 4.1c now and to be honest i hope i record a frost in the early hours.just goes to show how accurate the big boys are lol.

Posted

That is a tremendous variation in forecast temps!!

Netweather have my area down for 11C tonight and I reckon that will be about on the mark as it is 13.2C currently at almost 10:30pm. Indoors 21C. Phew, waaay too warm!! This house is too well insulated. Had windows open all day and it still doesn't cool down. More likely to get thinderstorm than frost here. We have torrential rain forecast for tomorrow though, all the plants will heave a sigh of relief.

peterf. I have got my tomato plants outside already and they are growing well.

Posted

That is a tremendous variation in forecast temps!!

Netweather have my area down for 11C tonight and I reckon that will be about on the mark as it is 13.2C currently at almost 10:30pm. Indoors 21C. Phew, waaay too warm!! This house is too well insulated. Had windows open all day and it still doesn't cool down. More likely to get thinderstorm than frost here. We have torrential rain forecast for tomorrow though, all the plants will heave a sigh of relief.

peterf. I have got my tomato plants outside already and they are growing well.

cant even grow toms outside in a good year up here,this is the land of turnips and kale lol.

the outdoor tunnels are still not planted up with the maincrop tomatoes,normally the 2nd week of june here.

your right about the wide diff in temp predictions.i'll stick with NW much more accurate for my location.

3.2c and still trending down.thats 8 and 5 well out the window and we aint even reached the coldest period of the night yet.

Edited by peterf

Posted

cant even grow toms outside in a good year up here,this is the land of turnips and kale lol.

the outdoor tunnels are still not planted up with the maincrop tomatoes,normally the 2nd week of june here.

your right about the wide diff in temp predictions.i'll stick with NW much more accurate for my location.

3.2c and still trending down.thats 8 and 5 well out the window and we aint even reached the coldest period of the night yet.

I had an uncle went to Durham in the war as a Bevan Boy to work in the mines. Bit silly as the reason they wouldn't have him in the army was asthma! Needless to say he didn't last long in the mines but managed to get into the Air force.

I suppose there are no longer any working mines left in Durham are there? Not sure there are any in Britain anymore.

Isn't 3.2C low enough for a frost anyway?

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I had an uncle went to Durham in the war as a Bevan Boy to work in the mines. Bit silly as the reason they wouldn't have him in the army was asthma! Needless to say he didn't last long in the mines but managed to get into the Air force.

I suppose there are no longer any working mines left in Durham are there? Not sure there are any in Britain anymore.

Isn't 3.2C low enough for a frost anyway?

nah all long gone thank god.we quite posh and sophisticated up here now lol.

well there's 2.7c showing and it's me bedtime,night all.

Edited by peterf

Posted

Aye - just four deep mines left in the UK

http://www.ukcoal.com/dm-locations

(Can't remember which of these has recently, or is about to close).

Just noticed the GFS 18z is forecasting sleet down to sea level here tomorrow night. Let's see if it's as accurate as tonight's temperatures in the NE might turn out :wallbash:

Posted

Aye - just four deep mines left in the UK

http://www.ukcoal.com/dm-locations

(Can't remember which of these has recently, or is about to close).

Just noticed the GFS 18z is forecasting sleet down to sea level here tomorrow night. Let's see if it's as accurate as tonight's temperatures in the NE might turn out :wallbash:

Now that is one forecast I wouldn't wish to be accurate! I did once go tenting in Braemar the first week of June and nearly froze overnight as there was snow on the surrounding hills in the morning. I do love Scotland though, a wonderful country and wonderful people. I lived there for 5 years as a teenager so can claim to make a considered verdict on the matter. And Edinburgh is a lovely city in my view but then I only went there twice and that was 45 years ago!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

I am not so happy with even the netweather forecast today!! Yesterday they said torrential rain for midday today, then the 18z downgraded that to heavy rain midday. But we had no rain at all yet again! I could understand if it was just light rain but nothing? The grass in many places is turning really yellow now. Not sure if it was just South of the Downs that missed out on the rain or all of the South. Perhaps someone from the IOW could let me know if they got any rain at all?

Edited by coldfingers