Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Portsmouth-Bilbao Ferry Next Week

Posted

Hi all. Off on the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry for a short break next Monday. Great value at £72 for 2! Anyhoo, keeping an anxious eye on the LP for the weekend & hoping it scoots out of the way as quickly as suggested. I don'want the "bay of storms" to live up to it's name (unless it's a thunderstorm of course!).

D'oh!!!! can't even get the thread title right :wallbash: Could a kind mod change it to Portsmouth please? Ta

Dave

Edited by davehsug

Posted

Hi all. Off on the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry for a short break next Monday. Great value at £72 for 2! Anyhoo, keeping an anxious eye on the LP for the weekend & hoping it scoots out of the way as quickly as suggested. I don'want the "bay of storms" to live up to it's name (unless it's a thunderstorm of course!).

D'oh!!!! can't even get the thread title right :wallbash: Could a kind mod change it to Portsmouth please? Ta

Dave

The Bay of Biscay is at it's best in a storm!! Once was on a ferry back from Bilbao to Weymouth (many years ago when they ran from there) and it was absolutely fantastic! A force 10 gale and nobody allowed on the decks, most people seasick, only 10 out of the whole ship eating breakfast, my brother and I were two of those! When it finally moderated to a F9 in the Channel entrance we had to divert to a French fishing boat in trouble. Nets down the side and all! That was when I was 21 and am now 60 but that was the best boat trip I ever took!!! Would go again anyday, especially if it was going to be stormy.

Have a happy trip. :wallbash: If you get a chance to visit San Sebation it is a wonderful seaside town and smashing shops. Easy to get lost there though as all streets look the same.

Posted

The Bay of Biscay is at it's best in a storm!! Once was on a ferry back from Bilbao to Weymouth (many years ago when they ran from there) and it was absolutely fantastic! A force 10 gale and nobody allowed on the decks, most people seasick, only 10 out of the whole ship eating breakfast, my brother and I were two of those! When it finally moderated to a F9 in the Channel entrance we had to divert to a French fishing boat in trouble. Nets down the side and all! That was when I was 21 and am now 60 but that was the best boat trip I ever took!!! Would go again anyday, especially if it was going to be stormy.

Have a happy trip. :wallbash: If you get a chance to visit San Sebation it is a wonderful seaside town and smashing shops. Easy to get lost there though as all streets look the same.

We only get about 5 hours there CF :wallbash: arrive about 8 am & leave about 1 pm. I have actually been to San Sebastian, but it was a long time ago. 1970 I think, when we were on a school trip to Biarritz. One of the trips was Pamplona, San Sebastian & St Jean de Luz. Memories a bit hazy now, my main one was trying to ask a Spanish policeman for directions to a toilet, when I could only speak English & schoolboy French :lol:

Posted

We only get about 5 hours there CF :lol: arrive about 8 am & leave about 1 pm. I have actually been to San Sebastian, but it was a long time ago. 1970 I think, when we were on a school trip to Biarritz. One of the trips was Pamplona, San Sebastian & St Jean de Luz. Memories a bit hazy now, my main one was trying to ask a Spanish policeman for directions to a toilet, when I could only speak English & schoolboy French :lol:

We once had the same problem in Pamploma where we went for a day trip. Eventually we just mimed pulling the chain!

That was 40 years ago, now my sister lives in Spain so I have enough Spanish to eat, find a loo and yell for help! :D

Have a lovely trip anyway and I envy you. Where did you find such a cheap fare? Maybe take hubby one day.

Posted

We once had the same problem in Pamploma where we went for a day trip. Eventually we just mimed pulling the chain!

That was 40 years ago, now my sister lives in Spain so I have enough Spanish to eat, find a loo and yell for help! :rolleyes:

Have a lovely trip anyway and I envy you. Where did you find such a cheap fare? Maybe take hubby one day.

I think it's still available on the P&O website. It's £72 BOGOF! But the ferry stops for good at the end of September, so I'd get in quick.