Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Huge Moth Found In Garden

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Hi all,anybody know what this moth is called? Picture was taken on 19 June 2010,i guess because it was cold that day the moth was a dopey thus was easy to catch and picture.Sorry about large picture size having a nightmare trying to re size my pictures.Just copy and paste then view in windows to see the wing span compared to the tape measure.

post-9147-12770302432518_thumb.jpg

post-9147-12770302913591_thumb.jpg

Edited by 80sWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I rescued one from work last week, after being trapped in a plastic box. it too was laethargic!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

I saw a Lime Hawk(mimas tiliae) on friday what a great looking moth that is. Dont see too many of them around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

If you find a dopey Moth, Butterfly or Bee dissolve a couple of teaspoons of sugar in a small amount of water and offer it to the creature, often it will feed, the sugar reviving it almost instantly. Sometimes if the ground is rather dry plants conserve their energy by reducing the amount of nectar they make, this in turn leads to exhausted creatures flitting from one to another searching and they often run out of energy before finding enough food.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

If you find a dopey Moth, Butterfly or Bee dissolve a couple of teaspoons of sugar in a small amount of water and offer it to the creature, often it will feed, the sugar reviving it almost instantly. Sometimes if the ground is rather dry plants conserve their energy by reducing the amount of nectar they make, this in turn leads to exhausted creatures flitting from one to another searching and they often run out of energy before finding enough food.

Oh many's the hour I spent doing this (with honey in water though). One of those real childhood things.....

Posted

Oh many's the hour I spent doing this (with honey in water though). One of those real childhood things.....

I've never heard of that. Great tip, I'll try it next time. I find dopey bees quite often.