Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cyprus Climate

Posted

I decided to make this thread following a record-breaking heatwave in Cyprus.

On Sunday (2nd August) temperatures reached to 46C in the Capital Nicosia. The lack of wind has also lead to high humidity levels, with nearly 100% humidity reached in Larnaca also. This has led to low cloud and mist being formed too. Temperatures are now returning back to average albeit still hot.

Generally though temperatures do differ by fair amounts in Cyprus. With no doubt Nicosia has the highest average maxima due to its location, the other three are coastal cities. Here are the average summer maxes for selected cities in Cyprus.

June July August

Paphos 28C 29C 30C

Larnaca 31C 32C 32C

Limassol 29C 31C 31C

Nicosia 33C 36C 36C

Data from: http://www.cyprus-we...-temperatures-c

Summers are always hot and dry, with generally no rainfall being recorded. Rainfall is recorded mainly in the winter months:

(Average rainfall days per year)

Paphos: 47 days Dry season: June - August

Larnaca: 42 days Dry season: June- September

Limassol: 40 days Dry season: June- September

Nicosia: 20 days Dry season: June-September

Snow occurs on the Trodos mountains during the winter months also. With the highest peak being around 1,800m ASL.

Finally, here are the average winter daytime maximas:

December January February

Paphos 19C 17C 17C

Larnaca 18C 17C 17C

Limassol: 18C 17C 17C

Nicosia: 17C 14C 16C

Will post some more climate information about Cyprus when I return from my holiday there in around 2 weeks time :( .

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

I decided to make this thread following a record-breaking heatwave in Cyprus.

On Sunday (2nd August) temperatures reached to 46C in the Capital Nicosia. The lack of wind has also lead to high humidity levels, with nearly 100% humidity reached in Larnaca also. This has led to low cloud and mist being formed too. Temperatures are now returning back to average albeit still hot.

Generally though temperatures do differ by fair amounts in Cyprus. With no doubt Nicosia has the highest average maxima due to its location, the other three are coastal cities. Here are the average summer maxes for selected cities in Cyprus.

June July August

Paphos 28C 29C 30C

Larnaca 31C 32C 32C

Limassol 29C 31C 31C

Nicosia 33C 36C 36C

Data from: http://www.cyprus-we...-temperatures-c

Summers are always hot and dry, with generally no rainfall being recorded. Rainfall is recorded mainly in the winter months:

(Average rainfall days per year)

Paphos: 47 days Dry season: June - August

Larnaca: 42 days Dry season: June- September

Limassol: 40 days Dry season: June- September

Nicosia: 20 days Dry season: June-September

Snow occurs on the Trodos mountains during the winter months also. With the highest peak being around 1,800m ASL.

Finally, here are the average winter daytime maximas:

December January February

Paphos 19C 17C 17C

Larnaca 18C 17C 17C

Limassol: 18C 17C 17C

Nicosia: 17C 14C 16C

Will post some more climate information about Cyprus when I return from my holiday there in around 2 weeks time :) .

The heatwave finally seems to be coming to an end, with 32 degrees in Limassol this evening. Last night was an incredible sight between 10 and 11pm at our location half way between Limassol and the top of Troodos. A complete blanket of what I believe was humid cloud covered the valleys, with visibility of only a few meters by 11. I don't remember seeing this before. In the meantime, Limassol has been bathed in milky cloud for the past two days, with a rough sea today and quite windy; kept us on our toes snorkelling. Similarly up at Latchi near Polis the haze hung around for two days making panoramic views take on more of a San Francisco bridge feel, and again the water was rougher than we are used to stirring up no end of litter to navigate while snorkelling with the beautiful marine life up there. 85% humidity yesterday in Limassol, and temperatures across the island reaching the high 30s. Everyone will breathe a sigh of relief when this moves on.

Best wishes

R

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The local forecasts have been promising a renewed heatwave, with news headlines of 'furnace Cyprus' and the like, but while temperatures are certainly on the high side, they are only a few degrees up on normal. Today at Cape Greko which has incredible blue sea - almost velvety purple - next to Ayia Napa we recorded 37 degrees and the sun felt hot, too hot for the walking trails - the guys selling sandwiches out of the van said they are too hot to work, and have never known a summer like it for hot weather, while last week in Latchi near Polis, the waiters were blaming everything from too many swimming pools to the wrong kind of trees (imported palms) for the hottest weather in their memory. At the Vouni donkey sanctuary some 20 miles north of Limassol three days ago we also recorded 37 degrees and got sunburnt in less than half an hour. Some lovely donkeys there by the way, many of whom are up for cuddles and pats - we gave them as much of our money as we could, and will be back to adopt a donkey or two in October; it's in some lovely countryside on the Cyprus wine route also: I'll post some pics when we are back in UK next week. Limassol has been around 33 degrees the past few days, with up to 90% humidity. In Platres, on the same day, 7 miles from the top of Troodos and offering beautiful mountain walks at a bearable temperature, sitting out in the evening it was 23 degrees with no humidity at all, and Limassol not at all visible as it was covered with humid mist; usually we can see the orange lights of Limassol up there. By contrast sitting out in Limassol leaves us all soaked! Yesterday's August 15 public holiday saw traffic jams up to the mountains, and the beaches busy, with both locations witnessing the locals cooking souvla on spits out in the open. Our spot, in Ayios Mamas a mile or so from Trmiklini has returned to its usual Walt Disney sky of stars in the past few days for lovely evening viewing, although we've had heat haze, strong winds and hot temperatures in plenty of measure - our unheated swimming pool has never been so jacuzzi-like and a five minute jaunt to pick some almonds off the tree leaves us red faced and desperate for a cool dip! The heat has also brought out some vigorous summer bacteria, with my 10-year-old son one of many caught out in this mini-epidemic - in his case causing an ear infection that has stopped his beloved snorkelling. But after a week's break, we managed to see some lovely fish today at Cape Greko and finished with a dip in slightly mucky Ayia Napa water.

Holiday almost over now, but will post some pics on here, for me to rememember a very unusual set of summer weather by all accounts!

Kind regards

RS

Posted

Quick update as we leav e Cyprus. The heatwave returned yesterday with 39 degrees in Limassol at 4pm, and 37 at our location in Ayios Mamas. Platres last night held onto its usual 25 degrees, with 27 at ours 6 miles down the road. Today on the radio, locals were complaining that no one is telling them when this heatwave will end!

Kind regards

RS

Posted

I had a brilliant time in Cyprus :). I certainly noticed the change in temperature in the last few days as the heatwave returned. I stayed in Polis which by far isnt the hottest place in Cyprus (on the West Coast) but the temperature was still constantly between 32-34C daily and the car thermometer recorded 37C on Monday I believe. Its hard to believe that Mount Olympus was 28C on Saturday at around 1,800m above sea level!! Today before me and my family went to Paphos airport for our flight home we parked our car in the shade for a drink in Polis before we left for the airport, it was 10am and the temperature was already 34C and this didnt fall at all by the time we had set off. So certainly must of been hotter inland especially around Larnaca and Nicosia, wouldnt of been suprised if 40C was or has been breached in the past few days. I must admit in one way its nice to experience what some may call 'extreme heat' because you know what it feels like! (I went to Egypt when 47C was recorded one day in 2008)

Reefseeker- I hope you have had a fantastic holiday in Cyprus and hopefully the heat won't affect you too much!! I've only been to Cyprus in the summer but by the sounds of things what we Brits would class as summer weather still occurs in late October-early November time!

RRR- Its gobsmacking that that event actually happened, considering the winter average maxima is around 12-16C for the island!

I will post more climatic information about Cyprus at the weekend :)

Posted

I had a brilliant time in Cyprus :good:. I certainly noticed the change in temperature in the last few days as the heatwave returned. I stayed in Polis which by far isnt the hottest place in Cyprus (on the West Coast) but the temperature was still constantly between 32-34C daily and the car thermometer recorded 37C on Monday I believe. Its hard to believe that Mount Olympus was 28C on Saturday at around 1,800m above sea level!! Today before me and my family went to Paphos airport for our flight home we parked our car in the shade for a drink in Polis before we left for the airport, it was 10am and the temperature was already 34C and this didnt fall at all by the time we had set off. So certainly must of been hotter inland especially around Larnaca and Nicosia, wouldnt of been suprised if 40C was or has been breached in the past few days. I must admit in one way its nice to experience what some may call 'extreme heat' because you know what it feels like! (I went to Egypt when 47C was recorded one day in 2008)

Reefseeker- I hope you have had a fantastic holiday in Cyprus and hopefully the heat won't affect you too much!! I've only been to Cyprus in the summer but by the sounds of things what we Brits would class as summer weather still occurs in late October-early November time!

RRR- Its gobsmacking that that event actually happened, considering the winter average maxima is around 12-16C for the island!

I will post more climatic information about Cyprus at the weekend :diablo:

Hi

Got back last night to 17 degrees and cloudy at Heathrow - bit of a shock to the system! Cyprus was amazingly hot this year, and yes you are right, their late October climate would suit us for an entire 'hot' summer any year! So much so we think we might just try to pop back at the end of October for some more comfortable holiday weather:)

Pics to follow when the pile of work emails has been cleared....

RS

Indeed, i forgot to mention it is the only time the island has been completely covered in snow. Either way, I bet it's pretty hard to imagine Cyprus covered in snow when temps are in the low 40s!

Posted

I hope you got pictures of the mist. I went to Cyprus this year in early July and stayed in Protarus in Larnaca and temperatures exceeded 35 almost every day. I think the highest we recorded was around 38 so not quite as hot as it has been in the last month.

Posted
post-8993-058728600 1282764541_thumb.jpgpost-8993-061046900 1282764808_thumb.jpgpost-8993-076248600 1282764957_thumb.jpg:unknw:

Well, you asked for mist, and hopefully here is mist My computer has not been pleased to upload these, so hope they come out alright, but plenty of mist and murk on show where normally there is clear blue sky and sunshine (couldn't upload the pic of the usual view towards Troodos unfortunately due to all the glitches). Still hot apparently, in the high 30s in Limassol today, but less humidity!

Best wishes

RS