Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Swallows And Swifts

BARRY

Posted

Not sure whats going on, It seems that in the last week most of the swifts and swallows have disappeared from around here. Now i think it is very early for them to migrate, So i am wondering what the situation in the rest of the country is.

Posted

I haven't heard any here for the past week, wonder if the cooler weather has something to do with it?

Never known them to go this early,My be natures given them a clue !!

Posted

Not sure whats going on, It seems that in the last week most of the swifts and swallows have disappeared from around here. Now i think it is very early for them to migrate, So i am wondering what the situation in the rest of the country is.

I think swifts depart very early and may have gone already. Swallows are unlikely to go yet - I think one of our pairs are sitting on it's latest bath of eggs. However, youngsters from first broods do spread out and look around I think before migrating. But, I expect the farm to have resident swallows well into September if not October.

What they do seem to do in August is spend a lot of time sitting on wires chatting...

Edited by Devonian

Posted

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Haven't heard the familiar shrill cry of the swifts for a few days, I must say.

Maybe that's why there's been a big increase in flies around here, these birds that eat them 'on the wing' have b****d off.

Posted

We must be the exception to the rule in Essex....We still have loads about, but they are are now starting to roost more which means generally they are ready to go!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Saw swifts heading south yesterday but that's nothing too unusual as they are always the last migrtant to arrive and first to leave. Most usually have gone come mid-August.

Swifts are migratory throughout their range. They arrive in the UK in the last week of April or early May, and stay only long enough to breed. Autumn migration begins in late July or early August. The onset of the migration is believed to be triggered by the lack of nutritious insects high in the air. Few swifts are left in September.

Still loads of swallows, young and old, feeding around here. Not noticed any reduction in numbers whatsoever. I was only watching a flock of a couple of dozen mobbing a passing kestrel on Sunday.

Edited by kar999

Posted

I can't tell swifts and swallows apart,not being interested in such things. But in the local park on the Saturday just gone,there was dozens of them,one or the other,flying very low to the ground. Never seen so many. Does this behaviour identify them as swifts or swallows or do they both do it,btw?

Posted

I can't tell swifts and swallows apart,not being interested in such things. But in the local park on the Saturday just gone,there was dozens of them,one or the other,flying very low to the ground. Never seen so many. Does this behaviour identify them as swifts or swallows or do they both do it,btw?

The ones flying nearer to the ground would have been swallows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Swallows would be my guess (bigger forked tail and a red 'bib' under their chin) . Notice how ,a few minutes before a shower, they lift and feed higher. the insects sense it coming and drop to find cover or they fly higher so the Swallows follow them. Swallows also chunter on as they fly like an old dear having the last say in a tiff, House Martins kinda make froggy sounds and Swifts Scream as the tear about the sky in pods (I used to love watching the Swifts and pretend it was a dogfight between Spities and Messers.......still do in fact!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Swifts left the farmhouse eaves here on the 6th of August but there are still plenty of swallows and sandmartins left. What is really unusual is to see flocks of several hundred greylag geese in our neighbours winter barley stubbles in the last few days and hearing them honking this morning. I believe some of them do stay here all summer but I saw fresh snow in Svalbard on the webcams about 2 weeks ago so maybe some took off early from there. Add that to the trees taking on their autumn colurs already(June drought?) and autumn does seem to be arriving early in thes parts.

Posted

I have seen both swifts and sand martins with second broods in several locations in Suffolk. Also lots of geese :D

It's unusual for there to be any swifts left this late around here. They are the first to leave and usually all gone as normal by mid August. There are still plenty of swallows, adults and new youngsters, and a few house martins but they have become more scarce in recent years.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Swifts well gone but good broods from Martins and Swallows (and very noisey!)

I wonder whether this glut of flyey/bitey things will have them linger longer (or the Bats stay up later)???

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Looks like i lost both Swallows and Martinf on the 2nd Sept? Watched droves of them heading S. all of the morning and then nowt. Even at twilight there was no feeding. Seems a bit early but they are gone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Is it a bit early for the swallows to leave?

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Exactly what I thought. Did see some on the other side of the valley but still none here.

EDIT: And just been up Old Town and still Swallows there but none here?

They nest local and had got quite a number of young in late Aug. The House Martins don't nest up here but once the brood is flying they feed up here (used to have Martins nest on the house in my youth so I'm always pleased to see/hear them!) but none of them here either???

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Great flocks of them here at the weekend probably heading south rather than the local broods that have been here all summer. Saw a few last night just before dusk but guess many have already passed through by now.

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just seen my first 'summer' visitors, 2 swallows..!! I usually spot house martins first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Looking forward to the arrival of the swifts. They soar & scream all day (but especially evening) from mid May to late July here. Their presence means I'm in my favourite time of year.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

First Swallows seen here Saturday 16th... always a welcome sign. :D