Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

You'll Not See This Very Often!

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

Only in this country will you see something like this - It is truly embarrassing tbh.

I am totally prepared for the 4.2mm of Misty drizzle that has fallen so far and dont quite know how to contain myself - Might go outside and see if it gets me wet. :cc_confused: :o

Total over - reaction and not needed, it would not even be noted in 95% of the countries subsequant Weather organisations around the world, and we wonder why they laugh at us!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Yep, if a heavy shower or two is severe weather, I wonder what will happen if we need a proper warning? Will they add more colours? Orange used to excite me a little bit - not anymore :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

This is fairly pointless. Most places will stay dry today with only scattered downpours. I remember seeing this last winter which was acceptable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Had a few distant rumbles of thunder today, if I wasn't warned by the Met Office I don't know what I would have done....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

wow two non thundery showers producing a pittance of rainfall, have the meto got a higher level warning for when we might gets some actual dangerous weather :D

Posted

I suppose the warning was more justified around here with torrential rain around with flash flooding in places.

However i think the warning is being read too much by some people. Just because your region is in orange does not mean there will be severe weather but the risk of severe weather. I think they placed far too many regions under warnings like Northern Scotland and Southern and Western parts of England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I suppose the warning was more justified around here with torrential rain around with flash flooding in places.

However i think the warning is being read too much by some people. Just because your region is in orange does not mean there will be severe weather but the risk of severe weather. I think they placed far too many regions under warnings like Northern Scotland and Southern and Western parts of England.

I suppose I can see why they were playing it safe; if a region not under a warning had experienced a storm like Newcastle did today people would be complaining that they weren't prepared. A lot of the region's roads were affected badly today by flooding, and a house on my estate was struck by lightning. Really, I think unpredictable situations like this are a lose-lose situation for the MetOffice. Perhaps they could have issued a yellow watch instead, only issuing orange alerts where storms were actually breaking out?

Posted

Yes i agree, but surely a normal Weather warning would have sufficed, not a severe weather warning especially over every region (bar one)in Britain . ? I think netweathers storm warning was much more applicable than the "be prepared" warning put out by Meto.

When i saw it i was like i wasnt expecting a weather warning for today yet alone Severe weather warnings for the entire country. Ive never know the meto to over react this much before. Understandably north east scotland have had some pretty persistent rain all day but im sure the country can cope with a few thundery showers...

Regards,

SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

seemed OTT for here until 30 mins or so ago, then roads awash and paths with one almighty flash and simultaneous crack, so maybe okay for here.

As an ex professional I think it might be quite character forming for some of our 'armchair' forecasters to sit in the 'hot seat' with all the data available and ask what they might do!

sorry unfair but its very easy to criticize, less easy to make a constructive comment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

We had quite a good thunderstorm here today, the first in, I can't remember how long - eons. Really heavy rain whilst it lasted, which wasn't very long but it gave my lawn seed a good watering :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have serious doubts about the warnings over the Scottish regions which always looked likely to have frontal rain and therefore low chances of thunder. I can, however, understand having almost the whole of England and Wales orange as there was potential for big thunderstorms to break out just about anywhere, and since forecast models have serious limitations at picking out the exact locations of localised sharp downpours, they probably felt it was best to err on the side of caution.

After all, quite a sizeable swathe of the country did have disruptive intense downpours with thunder.

Posted

seemed OTT for here until 30 mins or so ago, then roads awash and paths with one almighty flash and simultaneous crack, so maybe okay for here.

As an ex professional I think it might be quite character forming for some of our 'armchair' forecasters to sit in the 'hot seat' with all the data available and ask what they might do!

sorry unfair but its very easy to criticize, less easy to make a constructive comment.

John

I have a huge amount of respect for you regarding the weather but are you seriously saying to me that the one flash of Lightning and some convective rain you received constitutes an Orange "Be Prepared" Warning ?? If so I am simply amazed at what merits a Weather warning in this country.

Years ago this would not even have made any news, a convective showery day with a few rumbles of thunder, some small hail and just a few places getting a full blown Thunderstorm (Multi Cell maybe) but mostly Single cell.

Why not issue the Orange warnings as a flash warning when they know a Thunderstorm is going to move into an area (Eg if the Storm is growing in intensity and moving into Lincs from Notts) then issue Orange for both those counties.

Why did places like Kent, Sussex, Essex, Surrey, Suffolk, Herts.......I could go on to include most parts of Wales, The South West and Scotland etc etc etc have to have these warnings slapped across their website all day, this is what I am taking issue with, they need to simplify the system.

Btw - I have no issue with them issuing the Yellow Advisories for yesterday but to go straight to Orange was over the top Imo

Paul S

Posted

I tend to agree with the Yellow rather than the Orange, but in the early hours of the morning its sometimes not easy to be sure enough something won't happen.

personally I would have done yellow for scattered torrential downpours and orange for the parts of Scotland with heavy/ torrential rain. But none of us have hind sight Paul, the rain I was in here was, not in my back garden but half a mile down the road was without doubt torrential, with roads and paths flooded withing 5 minutes. The flash and crack was simply the icing on the cake if you like. It has to be close for me to hear it!

Posted

I assumed the warnings were to make people aware of the danger from very irate weather enthusiasts who missed out on any hint of thundery activity yet again! :cc_confused: