Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thundersnow Reports

Dom W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Awesome video from Bangor there Intrepid. Im too far inland in Reading to see anything I think.

Just on here because of the small discreet cell down in the channel, its got a intense core and sferics been recorded for at least two hours at this trundles slowly parallel to the coastline. Perhaps something to look out for along the south coast tonight

Posted

Had a report from a friend I saw last night of thunder snow in Morpeth Northumberland on Sunday afternoon,he reported seeing 3 flashes of lightening-during a spell which gave 6-7" of snow in a couple of hours, I live about 8miles away and heard and saw nothing and received about 2-3".

Posted

I put this video up on the regional thread. Didn't realise this thread was here!

There was no wind so the rumble is the thunder the whole time. Hope you enjoy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Had a couple of flashes of lightning in the last hour south of Peterlee.

• 4 weeks later...

It is relatively rare, convection within the temperature sounding, which can support the snow. A strong wind behind the cold front may lead to confusion on the hard snow surface winds with thunder. If high CAPE is high, the granules reach the surface with the snow. This type of snow occurs when a cold front passes through thunder or high wave, which becomes steeper rates of decline between the lake temperature and high temperature.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but...

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/24feb_thundersnow/