Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chaser daily report : 7th May 2004

Guest ChaserUK

03:28

Severe storms have broken out just to my N and W and I can see the lightning as we speak. Not hearing any thunder but expect to before too long.

03:39

YES! Lightning and thunder approaching. Cells breaking out just to my W and a squall line starting to develop a little further to my W also.

03:50

NWS Radio audio warning has just come in. Severe Thunderstorm warning advising us to take cover and stay away from windows. Expected nickel sized hail and 70mph winds – the winds picking up as we speak!

This is live people as we speak!!!!

Guest ChaserUK

:shock: right moving vehicle to under cover- just heard these storms are producing damaging hail. Also might have to log off just for a bit as these things pass - lightning detector going bonkers!

Guest ChaserUK

OMG - apparently local law enforcement has reported these storms have destructive damaging winds - tracker trailers been blown over to my west!!!! Winds picking up now bigtime!

Posted

Sounds awesome! I seriously would love to be witnessing this, I wonder if I could convince my hubby to come on a chase and join you next time.

Stay safe Chaser! Good luck! Happy hunting.

Guest ChaserUK

Severe storms have broken out just to my N and W and I can see the lightning as we speak. Not hearing any thunder but expect to before too long.

YES! Lightning and thunder approaching. Cells breaking out just to my W and a squall line starting to develop a little further to my W also.

NWS Radio audio warning has just come in. Severe Thunderstorm warning advising us to take cover and stay away from windows. Expected nickel sized hail and 70mph winds – the winds picking up as we speak!

05:37

Well that was two separate rounds of intense lightning and heavy rain. The winds picked up to I would say in excess of 50mph. Then we had some large hail up to half and inch (so not that big really). Then, a power flash to our S and the NWS radio went offline. Next, the TORNADO SIRENS go off whilst the winds suddenly change direction – for a moment there it was really quite worrying I have to say. Regrettably, I could not take photos because of the amount of rain blowing around in the winds. I have however got video and I will see what I can do to show some soon.

Guest ChaserUK

This has been issued for the first storms that went through here causing the sirens to go off....

WFUS53 KILX 071022

TORILX

ILC175-071115-

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

523 AM CDT FRI MAY 7 2004

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

STARK COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS

* UNTIL 615 AM CDT

* AT 523 AM CDT...RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG

ROTATION OVER WYOMING...OR ABOUT 15 MILES SOUTH OF KEWANEE...MOVING

EAST AT 30 MPH. THIS STORM COULD PRODUCE A TORNADO AT ANY TIME. IN

ADDITION TO THE THREAT OF A TORNADO...LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS

CAN BE EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM. GO TO A SAFE PLACE NOW!

OTHER LOCATIONS IN THIS WARNING INCLUDE...TOULON...WEST JERSEY...

CASTLETON AND DUNCAN.

IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM...TAKE COVER IN A BASEMENT OR

INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR. VEHICLES AND MOBILE HOMES SHOULD

BE ABANDONED FOR A SAFER SHELTER.

TORNADOES ARE ESPECIALLY DANGEROUS AT NIGHT BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD TO

SEE. DO NOT REMAIN IN YOUR CAR OR MOBILE HOME. INSTEAD...TAKE COVER

IN A REINFORCED BUILDING. GO TO A BASEMENT OR INTERIOR ROOM ON THE

LOWEST FLOOR.

REPORT SEVERE WEATHER OR ANY STORM DAMAGE TO YOUR LOCAL ESDA...OR THE

NEAREST LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY...FOR RELAY TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE. STAY TUNED FOR LATER STATEMENTS.

LAT...LON 4114 8968 4110 8966 4099 8966 4099 8993

Guest ChaserUK

:shock: Right time to log off again, more lightning heading in my direction...... :shock:

Posted

Sounds either very exciting, or very scarey 8) . Stay safe and next time please do it in the day so we can see more of what is going on! :):)

Posted

Thanks for all the reports Chaser, really exciting just to read, it must be amazing to be there! As everyone else has said make sure you stay safe.

Guest ChaserUK

Right guys, just come back to the hotel after trying to chase a storm which led to the tornado sirens going off around here again. It was just E of a place called Eldridge (20 miles N of Davenport) however when I got there it lost its severe characteristics. In any case, got some pics of largish hail on the ground - I will post these in time for tomorrow (your time).

As for the target area today, I am heading for Lincoln, SE Nebraska. Should be some good cape and DP's in that area later on. The focus will be a wiggling warm/ cold front which will be moving N in that area as a warm front.

Catch you later!

8)

Posted

Matt, You must be absolutely knackered!! But worth it 8):):)

Any chance of posted the satelite imagery that you showed earlier, looked impressive then!! Just think this would have been my last day of the chase had I been with you and not awaiting the sprog to drop anyday!!

Paul Sherman

Guest ChaserUK

errr Camcorder yes. Just arrived at our hotel for this evening. Have met up with one of the teams from UKWW. The Weather Channel are talking of a 3 DAY SEVERE WEATHER OUTBREAK that will be a real one of those 'classics' eek! Anyway, will keep you posted on that one as things develop. Expecting storms after dark tonight but here is the account of today so far....

05:37

Well that was two separate rounds of intense lightning and heavy rain. The winds picked up to I would say in excess of 50mph. Then we had some large hail up to half and inch (so not that big really). Then, a power flash to our S and the NWS radio went offline. Next, the TORNADO SIRENS go off whilst the winds suddenly change direction – for a moment there it was really quite worrying I have to say. Regrettably, I could not take photos because of the amount of rain blowing around in the winds. I have however got video and I will see what I can do to show some soon.

09:30

Will be leaving the hotel at 1045 today and head towards Lincoln, SE Nebraska. 5% chance of tornadoes there today and supercells. DP here currently 41F and temp in the low 50’s.

14:12

Still heading West on the I80 just passing through Des Moines, Iowa. Skies overcast. Temp 57.7F and DP 43F. Winds appeared to be veering around to the S. We are heading for the frontal boundary which in places is moving N as a warm front, S as a cold front and in other areas stationary. Our exact target appears to be an area/ intersection between the N or S direction of the boundary.

15:18

About 30 miles NE of Omaha, Nebraska and the skies are clearing. I must be about to cross the boundary into the warmer air. Temp increased 4F to 61F in a few minutes and DP up to 43F.

15:34

Heading: West

Route: I80

City: Lincoln, NE

Temp: 67F

DP: 47F.

Conditions: Partly Sunny.

16:14

Heading: West – just entered Nebraska again.

Route: I29 through Omaha.

City: Lincoln.

Temp: 74F

DP: 55F

Conditions: Sunny.

16:45

Located just S of Gretna on the I80, South of Omaha in Nebraska. There are signs of instability to my West at present. Temps risen to a nice 80F with DP’s of 60F. Just going to stop and wait for a bit……

17:19

Parked up in Gretna on top of a hill with a good view to the W and S. Temps 80F with a DP of 60F. Signs of instability visible to our S and W at present.

17:32

Just heard sirens going off in a number of towns in the area. I assume this is testing them for possible use this evening.

19:30

Watched for two hours as a few small CU tried to build. However the cap seems rather stronger than initially thought this evening. I am thinking that perhaps we will have another late show. Off to meet Sam and team at the Motel 8 at Jcn. 3 on the I8, just NE of my current location.

Posted

Thanks Chaser, and thanks too for the images above :) . Sounds like there could be something pretty special brewing for you during the coming days..