Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England & Channel Islands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 16

dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just out of interest, do you like the winters there or do you get fed up of them?

Personally I was quite pleased with December here. 13 days lying snow including 8 inches on the 20th adding to previous snow bringing the depth to nearly a foot, lasting until the 27th, Temps dropping to -14C here (-16.5C at Exeter Airport!). Definitely the best spell I've seen here.

See unlike a few on here I could quite easily go for 3 solid ice and snow months a year and then for a mixed spring and hot summer and damp mixed autumn.

Seasons is what I like! winter = cold snow summer = hot and dry with all rain to fall at night only unless it is a thunder storm. :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

See unlike a few on here I could quite easily go for 3 solid ice and snow months a year and then for a mixed spring and hot summer and damp mixed autumn.

Seasons is what I like! winter = cold snow summer = hot and dry with all rain to fall at night only unless it is a thunder storm. :clap:

I'll second that. Cold and snowy Nov through to the end of Feb, warm and windless March through end of April, hot from then until early Oct, then back to cold again.

It's not too much to ask surely?

Posted

Im very pleased with the last 2 winters they have been amazing although i thought we were very unlucky this year bristol was probably one of the worst places to be for snow unlike winter 09/10 when bristol did very well localy.

I did notice Bristol tending to miss out on much of the action this winter, It really is pot luck as to who gets the snowfall I guess, and it varies from place to place along with peoples opinion of the winter.

That's pretty much what I'd like too, I was just interested in what it actually seemed like over there, but as far as here goes I was very happy with December overall.

In my Ideal world we would have cold snowy winters, with NE USA like snowstorms interspersed with crystal clear conditions over the snow cover, and a variety of other events possible too, (perhaps occasionally a brief mild snap) then spring would warm up with plenty of sun, but also showers and thunderstorms becoming increasingly frequent. (wintry spells still possible into spring, and summery spells also) Into a warm/Hot summer with plenty of sunshine (Avg max 26-28C or so) and every week or more there would be a afternoon thunderstorm, and plume events at night sometimes, usually keeping water levels ok and nice green plants. Autumn may start more like summer, and end more like winter, Warm/hot spells and early wintry snaps both possible. Also a few Atlantic storms for good measure. Then It's back to winter.

As well as this a variety of other weather conditions differing from the norm would be possible occasionally through out the year.

Posted

The last 3 months have been truely dire however I shall cling on to hope for a little longer as you can see from maps below it is not unusual to have laying snow in march or april away from lowest ground.

post-8911-0-87921200-1300482068_thumb.gi post-8911-0-57657700-1300482095_thumb.gi

I still have a higher chance of seeing snow in april than areas less than 8 miles away in january. :whistling:

Posted

Im very happy...

seeds are in,garden prepared....

Snow now would be my worse enemy...

And by the look of the latst sunny days this is looking like its all over :yahoo:

I love snow but now I need Summer and Cracking Thunderstorms..

Happy days

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The last 3 months have been truely dire however I shall cling on to hope for a little longer as you can see from maps below it is not unusual to have laying snow in march or april away from lowest ground.

post-8911-0-87921200-1300482068_thumb.gi post-8911-0-57657700-1300482095_thumb.gi

I still have a higher chance of seeing snow in april than areas less than 8 miles away in january. :whistling:

Looking at those charts most would be lucky to see more than 3-4 hours of lying snow during April

Posted

Looking at those charts most would be lucky to see more than 3-4 hours of lying snow during April

Even that though is only averages and it is calculated from both extreme's I can remember 3/4 days of laying snow in april after a snowstorm around year 99/2000 ish but then we get years when not even a flake falls.

All im saying is that although we can get glorious warm march and aprils it can just as quickly change and give us a days snow. :drinks:

Posted

Feeling very nice out even tho its cloudy, tomorrow should see more sunshine anyway :). 16°C