Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Comet Elenin

mesocyclone

Posted

Good day all,

Couldn't find a thread for this and I hope its in the right place mods.

So what will this one bring, an awesome fireworks display, or one that's a bit to close for comfort?

Nasa link

I saw an orbit video where it looks to pass straight through the orbit of the stereo b satellite which just brought us the 360deg picture of the sun. I hope NASA can steer it out of the way (the satellite not the comet).

If you don't like the growing youtube conspiracy community don't click this link! There is a growing conspiracy belief with this one when you search for details, Deep Impact connections, Nibiru, 2012 etc etc etc.

youtube link

I do find it telling of our times, when you search "Comet Elenin" in Google News you get 1 result, yet over 30,000 in a standard search. Now if you put Katie Price in Google News you get over 400 results. Is this what is known as "dumbing down"? :help:

I for one can't wait to get my telescope on it. Not had the privilege of viewing a comet yet.

Regards

Meso

Posted

Good day all,

Couldn't find a thread for this and I hope its in the right place mods.

So what will this one bring, an awesome fireworks display, or one that's a bit to close for comfort?

Nasa link

That gets pretty close come October 22, assuming I ran the loop correctly.

Posted

The last one I got a good view of was Comet Holmes in autumn 2007 - for several weeks it was easy to see with the naked eye and passed right overhead in the early hours too. It was particularly remarkable because when we saw it at its best it was moving almost exactly towards us so sat in the same part of the sky for days on end. I missed Comet Hartley last year that was in the same part of the sky and just about visible to the naked eye for a while.

Mesocyclone - I guess you're too young to remember Hale-Bopp (1997) or Hyakutake (1996)? Those two were the brightest I've seen.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted

The last one I got a good view of was Comet Holmes in autumn 2007 - for several weeks it was easy to see with the naked eye and passed right overhead in the early hours too. It was particularly remarkable because when we saw it at its best it was moving almost exactly towards us so sat in the same part of the sky for days on end. I missed Comet Hartley last year that was in the same part of the sky and just about visible to the naked eye for a while.

Mesocyclone - I guess you're too young to remember Hale-Bopp (1997) or Hyakutake (1996)? Those two were the brightest I've seen.

Hi Stargazer

I'm not too young, I did not witness them myself as in the mid to late nineties i was in my late teens enjoying partying until the stars had gone and the sun had come up. I did see pictures in the media etc.

I have always had interests in Weather, Nature & the cosmos but it's only in the last few years I've really started to study things more and take an active interest now I have more time and my first telescope.

Posted
That gets pretty close come October 22, assuming I ran the loop correctly.

It does indeed, considering the orbit has been recalculated since it was first discovered. Any more in our direction and things could get interesting.

Comets are sometimes called Dusty snowballs as they contain a lot of ice among other things. A big If it was to impact earth.

Does anyone know what effect ice entering our atmosphere could do to weather?

I have thoughts of tales of 40 floods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It does indeed, considering the orbit has been recalculated since it was first discovered. Any more in our direction and things could get interesting.

Comets are sometimes called Dusty snowballs as they contain a lot of ice among other things. A big If it was to impact earth.

Does anyone know what effect ice entering our atmosphere could do to weather?

I have thoughts of tales of 40 floods.

Current projections shows its closest approach at 0.24 AU or over 20,000,000 miles, or about 100 times the distance of the moon from earth thus absolutely nothing to worry about!!!

On October 15th, I'll be far more concerned with cutting my finger nails, than a comet so far away it won't be even visable with the naked eye......I apologise if this comes across as rather an abrupt post, but I'm getting increasingly irritated by the amount of sensationalistic posts than appear on this forum & in the media in general about 2012 doomsday scenarios...

...BTW if a comet impacts our planet, the effects of ice entering our atmosphere will be the least of your worries!! :lol:

Posted

Current projections shows its closest approach at 0.24 AU or over 20,000,000 miles, or about 100 times the distance of the moon from earth thus absolutely nothing to worry about!!!

On October 15th, I'll be far more concerned with cutting my finger nails, than a comet so far away it won't be even visable with the naked eye......I apologise if this comes across as rather an abrupt post, but I'm getting increasingly irritated by the amount of sensationalistic posts than appear on this forum & in the media in general about 2012 doomsday scenarios...

...BTW if a comet impacts our planet, the effects of ice entering our atmosphere will be the least of your worries!! :lol:

lol,

No need to apologize, it was a hypothetical question. I'm very interested in viewing it, i did read it was first discovered it would come as close as 0.8AU and it has been revised down to 0.24AU. Quite some recalculation, however i do not know the strength of the authority giving that information.

Every subject i search about these days has a huge amount of people giving a conspiratorial view on the subject. This in itself is the biggest conspiracy i feel.

Very divide and conquer.

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Interesting mesocyclone! :)Like you. I am also interested in Weather, Nature and Astronomy. I'm still learning how to use my Telescope lol. So much cloud here lately that I've not had a chance to try it out properly.There is so much conspiracy on the internet regarding comets,asteroids etc, but it still makes for a good fun read Lol.

Looking forward to looking through my telescope at Comet Elenin nearer the time. Thanks for sharing.:)

Posted

I'd never noticed how cloudy it was till i got my telescope, only had a few nights of good viewing this year. Will be taking it to Dartmoor later this year for a camping trip.

Some amazing skies when the cloud is clear, so little light pollution there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

So this could hit Earth?

Posted

Extremely unlikely Backtrack.

Even David Icke's followers don't think that this is going to be anything more than a pretty sight in the sky.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Extremely unlikely Backtrack.

Even David Icke's followers don't think that this is going to be anything more than a pretty sight in the sky.

Ah right thanks, how big is it?

Posted

No idea, but it's apparently not on a collision course with us, according to the bods who track orbits.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

No idea, but it's apparently not on a collision course with us, according to the bods who track orbits.

Just researched it. It's 2.6km long.

Hopefully they're right. Not good if that hits us.

Posted

It looks like it will come close to hitting stereo b in the orbit I viewed.

Anyone know how Nasa avoid that? Need to go digging, don't know a lot about satellites.

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Now if you put Katie Price in Google News you get over 400 results.

I for one can't wait to get my telescope on it. Not had the privilege

Regards

Meso

couldnt resist... :whistling: