Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

DAILY PICS FOR 12 MAY 2004

Guest ChaserUK

Guest ChaserUK

What a successful day. Basically, a number of supercells developed in E Kansas. At first convection was a bit messy but soon the systems got organised. This cell went up in 15 minutes!!!!

TORNADO%20011.jpg

Here are some of the individual updrafts that went up - already hail was being thrown out way ahead of these. Later, this system evolved into a number of Tornadic Supercells.

TORNADO%20018.jpg

We heard the tornado report but we were passing through the town of Pratt, KS so buildings blocked our view whilst this was on the ground. However, we catch it on it's way back up.

TORNADO%20019.jpg

TORNADO%20020.jpg

One of the wall clouds that we saw that day.

TORNADO%20021.jpg

Another wall cloud on another cell.

TORNADO%20022.jpg

When I took this pic you could not hear yourself because of the rock sized hail hitting the vehicle. We sustained some dents from this lot.

TORNADO%20023.jpg

Another wall cloud - this system was getting mean and ready to produce.

TORNADO%20025.jpg

This wall cloud was rotating above our heads - very quickly. If it put down a funnel we would have been out of there damn quick. Also whilst we watched you would here the thud of sporadic hail hitting the ground.

TORNADO%20028.jpg

This picture just shows the amazingly intense convection that was taking place. This is what you get with CAPE's in excess of 4500 j/kg!

TORNADO%20032.jpg

Yes hear it is, the tornado! The tornado was lit by very frequent lightning and I caught this on the bulb setting on my camera. We were moving E and I looked out of the window beneath a huge wall cloud. Suddenly, I see dust and debris rotating on the ground. I look above and a funnel shoots down and meets the circulation on the ground. A wide funnel soon develops and stays on the ground for a bout 30 minutes. It was very very dark but there was just a hint of twilight behind the wall cloud so I could make it out. I radioed everyone else in our group and we pulled up by the side of the road and watched it as the wind switched from blowing at us to from behind - it was VERY scarey and exciting. Then, a police officer bangs on our window and shouts "HIT THE DITCH!!". We just stayed put when Dave reminded us that we were underneath the updraft regions of many tornadic supercells. We peered through the darkness to see if anything else was approaching - at times the vehicle was rocked by very strong winds.

TORNADO%20037.jpg

Just a thought, earlier in the day when we headed towards a major hail core and the tornado sirens were going off in a town called Attica which had already been hit my a previous tornado a 'gust' of wind entered through the window of the vehicle and every piece of loose paper just lifted and floated around the vehicle. It was very odd and I have heard of other chasers reporting the same thing happen to them

Posted

:D Excellent Piccies Chaser

The one of the cloud rotating above you looks mighty mean, I'm not sure I would have waited to see if it was going to drop down :shock:

Posted

The pics are AMAZING chaser :D Thanx for taking the time to share them with us mate take care and stay safe

RESPECT BB

Guest Phil_Uk

BLIMEY!! :shock:

Such excellent pics Chaser. Well done. :D Keep up the good work but most importantly, stay safe.

Phil.

Posted

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW

amazing pics mate, thx for sharing :lol: :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Great stuff- I'm amazed you manage to get them to come out so well, most of the time when I try to take photos like that they come out blurred or overexposed!

What particularly amazes me is that these storms seem initially to start off like the storms one traditionally expects during a thundery breakdown after a heatwave or a polar maritime/returning polar maritime type showery day in the UK, then they develop massively further.

Posted

wow Chaser that last pic reminds me of 1996 when a possible supercell moved over us.it was just as dark as that last picture.wow now i'm convinced that the 1996 was a supercell.

how strong was that tornado??

Posted

Fantastic pics, Chaser, very well taken under the circumstances. :shock: Keep up the good chasing.

Posted

Chaser, my photos officially SUCK compared to them. You've got a great camera there mate. What is it? A C5050? I remember yousaying it was an oly?

Posted

Oh WOW, those pictures are wicked :D I am sooooo jealous of you now Chaser :cry:

Wish I was out there, but hey my day will come. Well done mate keep the fantastic reports and piccies coming in :D Stay safe !