Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Strange Sequel To Jan. 1974 Storm

knocker

Posted

On the night of the 27th January 1974 a deep depression was centred just off the NW coast of Ireland. It brought storm force winds to Ireland and SW Scotland.

At the time the Greek freighter Captayannis carrying a cargo of sugar was anchored off of Greenock in the Clyde waiting to dock. During the storm her anchor failed to hold and she drifted towards the BP tanker anchored nearby. The tanker's anchor holed the straying vessel. The captain of the Greek vessel realised the ship was in danger of sinking so he decided to beach her in shallow water on the famous sandbank where she still lies.

What happened next remains a mystery. No one claimed responsibility for the ship. The owners were never found and dealing with her became an unsolved problem. Salvage was not an option. Unsurprisingly looters had a field day and the the ship was quickly stripped to the bare bones. The one plus was anglers on both sides of the Clyde had ready sweetened fish for months.

Posted

That photo of the Captayannis entering the James Watt Dock brings back a few memories. I'd like a tenner for every time I've been through those gates. The UK Weather Ships used that dock for many years.

http://www.weatherships.co.uk/

Adviser2large.jpg

Edited by weather ship

Posted

That photo of the Captayannis entering the James Watt Dock brings back a few memories. I'd like a tenner for every time I've been through those gates. The UK Weather Ships used that dock for many years.

http://www.weatherships.co.uk/

thanks for that link Fred-very interesting, I had not seen the link before

and a very young weathership?

decided not to post it Fred!

Edited by johnholmes

Probably just as well John as that isn't me. It's a bloke called Richard Ebling who did a year and then hopped off to Camborne. I think I might sue.

Hi I'm Paul the owner of the site www.weatherships.co.uk, I noticed this thread and thought I'd join and introduce myself. From the coments made it appears I may have made a mistake in naming people on the site, could you show me the error of my ways please.

Paul

P.S. please dont sue I've got no money :cray: !!!!!

Posted

Hi I'm Paul the owner of the site www.weatherships.co.uk, I noticed this thread and thought I'd join and introduce myself. From the coments made it appears I may have made a mistake in naming people on the site, could you show me the error of my ways please.

Paul

P.S. please dont sue I've got no money :cray: !!!!!

Hi paul, okay I won't sue. I've only noticed one so far, as my memory is not what it was. In your crew photo section you have a photo with the caption Fred Knott onboard Adviser in 1965. I'm pretty sure that's Dicky Ebling. Seeing the photo of my old friend Roger Philp one is tragically reminded that he died many years ago whilst on duty at Bristol Weather Centre. Interesting site by the way. If i spot anything else I'll PM you.