Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England In Drought Conditions

Alex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

I live I'n Essex and we have missed the rain all week this week, we had under 2mm last weekend and obviously march and april were extremely dry! I have taken a look at river levels near me and not only do they look extremely low but they are showing very low on the environment agency website.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120739.aspx?stationId=6148

Interested to know people's thoughts, I think if we have a very dry summer then we could be I'n trouble? I think we are ok at the moment according to local water companies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

it is becoming a concern in some areas, my local river wey is very low and this is connected to the thames, the thames weir is low , it does look as low as the stage it was last june! what i see(in my local area) is not a concern just yet as summer 2006 it (river)was much much lower, but its heading that way and we could see the levels hitting that point by june or july maybe lower is we don't get the rains, the posted image is our local thames levels updated today.

post-11361-0-66571700-1305512890_thumb.g

around my area grass is already becoming brown and yellow, last summer it would be another month before this happened, but last year all grass was brown and trees looked like autumn, so we have a while to go yet before that stage is reached, they say the underground reserves are fine round surrey and areas near so we should be ok in that way, but nature is feeling it im sure.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Interesting post, but by no means a local thing.

Just looked at some of the river levels coming off Dartmoor and they are a real shock. For example Mary Tavy is only at 11cm. Considering the area of North Dartmoor (western facing) the Tavy gets water from- this is dreadfully low.

In winter Tavy Cleave is an area to be respected for walking in, due to the sheer volume of water which comes off the moor- but at the moment it must be a mear trickle.

The Yealm coming off the South Moor is much the same- just 11cm.

Its also interesting to note that although river levels are down in east Dartmoor- I'd venture the fact that they are still reasonable due to the peat bogs on that part of Dartmoor giving up their moisture- which could lead to potential fires on the moor if this dry spell continues.

I've attached a picture of Tavy Cleave- bear in mind during some winters you have to walk along the edge of the tor due to floodingpost-1962-0-46877500-1305538088_thumb.jp

Posted

Yes I think Sussex and Kent are in a similar situation. Eastbourne's rainfall has almost been non existent for some time, with just a couple of rain nights recently:

post-6667-0-02163100-1305538925.jpg

I've had the hosepipe out on the garden for the last few days as the water butt is running dry, I guess if we don't see something in the next couple of weeks they will start implementing measures?

post-6667-0-02163100-1305538925_thumb.jp

Posted

Its possible that hosepipe bans may come in, but South West Water are moving water around the area via underground pipes to try and avoid hosepipe bans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-13378734

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Interesting post, but by no means a local thing.

hi phil, im not sure were i said local thing with this drought? if you were refering to my post? i do know it is widespread drought conditions across many areas and have been reading about low or even no rivers/streams and also the forest fires down south and up north. what i ment when said local was a study of my area comes across as not as severe as 2006 or 2010 just yet, so locally its not a concern just yet here, but it won't be to long as theres not much sign of any rain other then a splash for a long time.. if or lets say when we get the heat that is on its way then things would dry out even faster and i would imagine my area would be seeing autumn trees by mid june if we don't see proper rain, as this is what happened last year..

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It won't be any consolation but many Highland lochs are very low for the time of year. I would say we've had not much more than half the rain we'd normally get so far this year.

Posted

http://www.environme...ught/31749.aspx

If the EA are not concerned, then nor am I. Scaremongering is the biggest threat we face, not water shortage.

Also read their report for April: reservoir and groundwater stocks are excellent and it's a long way off to any potential issues, so let's try to keep things in perspective if at all possible.

http://www.environme...ught/31749.aspx

If the EA are not concerned, then nor am I. Scaremongering is the biggest threat we face, not water shortage.

Also read their report for April: reservoir and groundwater stocks are excellent and it's a long way off to any potential issues, so let's try to keep things in perspective if at all possible.

So you are concerned then? Quoting the from the link you posted - "the weather remains dry and is of increasing concern"

Nobody is scaremongering, just people who are interested and aware of the situation discussing the issue.

Here in the northwest of England we had a hosepipe ban last year* and reservoir levels are similar at this stage this year (higher in Cumbria but lower in north Wales) - in most other areas they are below last year's.

Groundwater levels are very low in the midlands, central southern England and the southwest.

Soil moisture deficits are present through the whole of the UK and are substantially below normal for most of England and Wales.

Have a look at the CEH hydrological summary for some proper data -

http://www.ceh.ac.uk/data/nrfa/nhmp/monthly_hs.html

Their summary -

April was a very remarkable month in hydrometeorological terms: provisionally it was the warmest April in the 352-year Central England Temperature series, estimated outflows from Britain were the lowest on record for the last week of April, and the end-of-month soil moisture deficits were the highest (for E&W) in a 50-year series. The exceptional aridity of the early spring (see scatter plot on page 3), following a relatively dry 2010, has resulted in agricultural and hydrological drought conditions affecting large parts of southern Britain. Currently, the primary impacts are on farmers and growers, an increased risk of forest and heath fires and, importantly, on river flows. Correspondingly, replenishment to most gravity-fed reservoirs was very meagre and overall stocks for E&W registered their 2nd largest March/April decline since 1997. Where practical, water companies have been drawing from alternative sources to help conserve reservoir stocks (e.g. the transfer of River Severn water, via the Sharpness canal, to moderate pressure on the Mendip reservoirs) and early-May stocks in almost all index reservoirs remain above 80% of capacity. Nonetheless, stocks are well below the late-spring average in parts of the South West, Wales and Yorkshire. Groundwater levels are also seasonally depressed in a number of the most responsive aquifer units but levels across most major aquifers remain considerably above drought minima. Historical rainfall figures indicate a tendency for dry spring periods to be followed by above average summer rainfall, but with evaporation rates increasing even average summer rainfall would imply very low late summer river flows – and an associated major contraction in the river network

*poured down on the day it started, with flooding, and barely stopped raining rest of summer, but there you go.

Posted

Here are the rainfall stats for Colchester so far this year:

Jan - 84.3mm

Feb - 52.4mm

Mar - 13.6mm

Apr - 3.7mm

May - 1.4mm (to the 19th)

Total - 155.4mm

So after a very wet winter, spring is definitely looking dry these parts.

Posted

Here are the rainfall stats for Colchester so far this year:

Jan - 84.3mm

Feb - 52.4mm

Mar - 13.6mm

Apr - 3.7mm

May - 1.4mm (to the 19th)

Total - 155.4mm

So after a very wet winter, spring is definitely looking dry these parts.

Wow compared to Peterborough you've had a flood because we have seen half of that total.

Jan = 32.9mm

Feb = 33.0mm

Mar = 2.0mm

Api = 3.7mm

May = 6.3mm

Total = 77.9mm

http://www.peterboroughweatherwatch.com/reports/may2011.php

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Wow compared to Peterborough you've had a flood because we have seen half of that total.

Jan = 32.9mm

Feb = 33.0mm

Mar = 2.0mm

Api = 3.7mm

May = 6.3mm

Total = 77.9mm

http://www.peterboro...rts/may2011.php

Your spring totals are incredible. At this rate, you'd record less than 250mm this year, which is enough to qualify Peterborough as a desert.

Buxton, around 15 miles to the north of me:

Jan - 92mm

Feb - 166mm

Mar - 13mm

Apr - 13mm

May - 58mm

342mm. If every month had equal average rainfall, then we should be up to about 500mm already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Totals for Cannock:

Jan: 35.1mm

Feb: 51.6mm

Mar: 16.5mm

Apr: 4.3mm

May: 26.7mm

Total: 134.1mm

Posted

So far this year for Cambridge:

January: 52.4mm

February: 28.2mm

March: 2.0mm

April: 1.8mm

May: c.3mm

Yearly total so far: 87mm

Posted

So far in Southend.......

January: 98.4mm

February: 45.2mm

March: 15mm

April: 5.6mm

May: 2.6mm

looks like its getting drier each month , grass is dying just wondering how long before the trees start to suffer ? .

as of 21 may 2011: Year = 164.2mm

Edited by scientist_uk

Posted

news on drought was posted by THE EYE IN THE SKY in another thread

went down to look at my local rivers on wednesday, last checked a week ago, and wow! how much its gone down in a week, its getting to summer 2006 levels ,thats the river wey and the river Thames in weybridge Surrey.

in fact the water fall at the weir has all most stopped along several areas, only a section to one side is running fast, because the top of the fall is lower i would imagine allowing more water over. no more white water rafting for a while! even the ducks are in town sitting under shaded trees on brown grass(its not because of the low river of course, just don't normally see them in town hanging around!!), i had thought the river had dried up 0; but i don't think the thames would dry up, the thames is slowing down so pools of algea(?)have formed or what ever it is this stuff that forms on still waters, anyway its slowed down to a speed were this stuff can form mainly forming at the join of the river wey into the thames, the main flow is really slow to.

Edited by Coast

Posted

Interesting piece on our local BBC Spotlight last night.

South West Water have bought 2 disused China Clay quarries on Bodmin Moor and have made 2 new reservoirs which are now full to capacity. As a result South West Water are claiming even if we have a summer like 1976, there will be no hosepipe bans for the 15th year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13546650

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Well its official now!

Drought declared in East Anglia, with other parts on brink

Environment secretary holds drought summit with major water users as England and Wales face worst dry spell since 1990

Parts of East Anglia are officially in a state of drought, according to the English environment department Defra and the Environment Agency. Areas in the south-west, south-east, the Midlands and Wales are experiencing near-drought conditions following the driest spring on record in south-east and central southern England. Overall, England and Wales are at their driest since 1990. Widespread hosepipe bans are unlikely, although Severn Trent Water has said it is considering "every option". Farmers face restrictions on drawing water from water courses and rivers to protect wildlife.

Farmers' leaders have appealed for authorities not to "just turn taps right off" and instead allow them to eke out supplies. They are attending a "drought summit" on Friday convened by the environment secretary, Caroline Spelman, which will include utility companies, supermarkets and industrial leaders. In East Anglia some farmers and growers have volunteered to irrigate only at night in an effort to reduce evaporation. Users are forming water co-operatives to share the limited amounts available. Spelman said: "Water companies are confident that supplies are high enough so that widespread restrictions to the public are unlikely. We're doing all we can to reduce the impact on agriculture and wildlife, but everyone can play their part.

"Households know how to use less water and everyone can do their bit to use water more wisely, not only through the summer but throughout the year." She told the BBC that water companies were better prepared for the problems than in the past, having drastically cut leaks from pipes. "Just bringing in blanket bans can have unintended consequences. You can, for example, put a garden centre out of business." Thames Water said its reservoirs were 90% full but urged customers to be careful in their water use as it was too early to predict what the summer would be like.

Paul Leinster, the chief executive of the Environment Agency, said it had worked with water companies and other water users to have plans in place to cope with drought and ensure there was enough water for people, businesses and the environment. "Many rivers have low flows as result of the dry weather which can harm wildlife and increase the impact of pollution incidents, so we are stepping up our monitoring to be able to respond quickly. "Low river flows also impact on business, as it abstracts millions of gallons from rivers on a daily basis and we need to ensure this is sustainable."

Craig Bennett, the policy director of Friends of the Earth, told the BBC that although many water companies had "raised their game" on preserving supplies, successive governments had taken "precious little action" to stop "unsustainable abstractions" and limit building where there was not sufficient water infrastructure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jun/10/drought-east-anglia-england-wales

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jQkEXwVdq0zU5nVEZmi36cq457Ag?docId=CNG.f0cf4e201117b4e64ed6d628597c40b1.121

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

As you can see my area is now within the official drought zone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13722013

I said at the time the title of this thread should be changed because it isn't the SE but E Anglia.

SE very dry also, should say Eastern side (below Hull)

Edited by BrightInBrighton

Posted

Perplexing that some people are craving a 76-style heatwave with food prices already due to escalate and livelihoods & wildlife at risk.

Posted

The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology have released a statement today about May:

Remarkable rainfall patterns across the UK in May produced a decrease in the spatial extent of drought conditions in England and Wales but an increase in their intensity in the most severely impacted regions.

Late May soils were the driest on record across large parts of eastern and central England – causing substantial agricultural stress (impacting on crop yields) and an increased risk of forest and heathland fires. Currently, the most evident hydrological impact of the drought is on river flows across much of southern Britain – flows in responsive rivers were close to, or below, previous late-May minima over wide areas.

The above analysis is contained within the latest monthly hydrological summary for the UK (for May 2011) produced by the National Hydrological Monitoring Programme, operated by the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology in conjunction with the British Geological Survey.

Most reservoir stocks throughout northern Scotland and Northern Ireland are healthy and, for England & Wales as whole, stocks were within 4% of the early June average. Despite the rainfall deficiency, stocks remain within about 10% of capacity in a number of major pumped-storage impoundments in the English Lowlands (e.g. the London Group and Farmoor). Elsewhere, many gravity-fed reservoir stocks have fallen to, typically, 10-20% below the early summer average with the greatest deficiencies in the South West, Wales and the Midlands.

Terry Marsh from the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology said, “The very moderate infiltration since the winter has left groundwater levels below, to well below, average across most major aquifers. Above average summer rainfall would ameliorate the drought’s impact but with soils still exceptionally dry in much of southern Britain drought stress will continue with an expected substantial delay in seasonal recovery in runoff and recharge rates and, correspondingly, notably low autumn flows.â€

The 1975-76 drought was considered at the time the most severe yet experienced across much of the UK. Earlier this year CEH published a new, 58-page report providing a contemporary and retrospective review of the events of 1975 and 1976. The report, co-authored by hydrologists Terry Marsh and John Rodda is available to download.

The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology jointly operates the National Hydrological Monitoring Programme (NHMP) in conjunction with the British Geological Survey. NHMP scientists produce the UK Monthly Hydrological Summary which assesses rainfall, river flows, groundwater and reservoir levels. They also operate the National River Flow archive. The NHMP has a remit to analyse major flood and drought events in the UK and analyse long term trends in UK hydrological data. The Programme was set up in 1988 and relies on the active co-operation of measuring authorities throughout the UK.

Notable statistics:

A substantial proportion of eastern England registered <20% of the average May rainfall with totals falling to 4mm in parts of Kent – a dramatic contrast to north-west Scotland where some localities reported totals two orders of magnitude greater.

Across much of the English Lowlands, the May rainfall was generally greater than that for March and April combined but, nonetheless, spring rainfall totals were only around 50% of the England & Wales average.

England eclipsed its previous lowest spring rainfall total, reflecting extreme deficiencies in some eastern areas.

The Anglian region registered its lowest 3-month rainfall total (for any start month) in a series from 1910 and, remarkably, the spring rainfall for Cambridge represented only around half of the previous minimum in a record from 1848.

For England & Wales estimated runoff through the spring (March-May) of 2011 was only around 50% of average; only in 1976 has a lower spring runoff been recorded.

In a significant proportion of England, end-of-May soil moisture deficits exceeded the previous highest on record. Correspondingly, there was minimal recharge to almost all aquifer outcrop areas and groundwater level recessions continued.

http://www.ceh.ac.uk/news/news_archive/MayHydrologicalSummaryfortheUK_2011_37.html

post-6667-0-64132800-1307715200.jpg

post-6667-0-12388700-1307715240.jpg

Full report in .pdf format available here as a download: http://www.ceh.ac.uk/data/nrfa/nhmp/hs/pdf/HS_201105.pdf

Explanation of what constitutes a drought here:

http://www.ceh.ac.uk/data/nrfa/nhmp/whatisadrought.html

post-6667-0-64132800-1307715200_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-12388700-1307715240_thumb.jp