Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Even During A Very Good Summer....

Weather-history

Posted

it can have a very poor spell.

Summer 1959 was a very good summer that extended into early October but during mid-August 1959, it managed to produce this nasty low for the time of the year.

Rrea00119590814.gif

It was exceptional for the time of year reaching a pressure of 967.7mb at Belmullet, Mayo on the 14th. The lowest pressure officially recorded anywhere in the British Isles for the month of August. Gale force winds hit western areas

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I think it was following that low that the long drought, which in some areas lasted until early October, began.

Posted

I think it was following that low that the long drought, which in some areas lasted until early October, began.

Yep, September was the driest on record. I think RAF Finningley had the longest stretch of rainless days (59).

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

The period 14th August - 8th October 1959 recorded just 14.2mm for England and Wales.

February 1959 was also exceptionally dry recording just 8.7mm for England and Wales.

24th January - 1st March 1959: 10.1mm

So combining the two totals for those periods results in just 24.2mm (less than an inch) in a 93 day period falling for England and Wales during 1959.