Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Planet Is That Very Bright Light In The Night Sky?

Posted

I'm no astronomer I admit, so this is a novice question, but can anyone tell me which planet (assuming it is a planet) that very bright light in the night sky over the past few nights is? I noticed it this time last year and I believe it was visible for weeks.

Posted
  • Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Altitude: 189 m, Density Altitude: 6 m
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

Yes, it is planet. Planet Venus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus

And the light which we see is from sun (reflection).

Posted

I'm not saying your wrong but I thought we could only see Venus after sunset and before sunrise. While this object comes from over the eastern horizon and moves across the sky during the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical Cyclone, Blizzard, Thunderstorm, Freezing Cold Day and Heat Wave.

Sorry but I am not sure. If it is not Venus, I believe it is Mars. But I do not know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Yes it is bright! il do some research as i am interested in the night skies! isnt it amazing just looking up and seeing all these stars and planets, many years ago in summer i would see many more bright stars then i do now, they say the cause is the lights from citys that even have an effect on the skies in the countryside, but winter frosts with clear cold nights i can still get a good display of stars, with lots of twinkling when its very clear.

http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/ - what to look out for during september

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
Jupiter is moving towards the higher part of the ecliptic and so, in the next few years, will be a superb object to observe.
see link above.

so its going to become more visible!

Posted

Venus currently a bright evening star in the west although setting soon after darkness falls.

Jupiter rising higher through the evening and well up in the east to southeast by midnight, in fact almost overhead. We pass Jupiter next month so it will remain prominent all night for months.

Saturn and Mars are not very high in the sky at the moment.

So it depends on where you're seeing your bright planet, because there are two at different times, but if you're seeing it near the west or southwest horizon it's definitely Venus. Anywhere east and it has to be Jupiter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The planet that is bright in the eastern skies is Jupiter....A member bought this up in one of the comet Elenin 'doomsday' threads in another part of the forum, but I can confirm that it's definitely Jupiter!

Posted

Agree it must be Jupiter although I havn`t seen it since last year when it was setting in the west.

And I can`t remember the last time I saw venus in the evening sky quite high up must be 3 years guessing.

Posted

Thanks everyone, Jupiter it seems to be as it is defiantly rising from the east and moving south east. In fact it is easily the brightest object in the sky at the moment, after the sun and moon of course.

Edited by WALSALL SNOW

Posted

it is jupiter and apparently uranus should be visible as well (especially if you have split your trousers)

http://news.national...test-full-moon/

Edited by bobbydog

Posted

So it is jupiter then, cool, must get a telescope. had one many many years ago, i remember seeing the moons craters with rocks in them! but the heatwave type vision and the moon moving out of view very fast made for frustrating viewing, the more zoom the more it needs tracking, thats why computers are attached up to some home telescopes that remote control the movement of everything so when we look through the lens all is still there to see!

Posted

No need to go to that expense though - you can get very simple mounts that you move yourself and they work a treat - like my little thing. post-717-0-53024500-1317031100_thumb.jpg

how much was that?

Posted

So it is jupiter then, cool, must get a telescope. had one many many years ago, i remember seeing the moons craters with rocks in them! but the heatwave type vision and the moon moving out of view very fast made for frustrating viewing, the more zoom the more it needs tracking, thats why computers are attached up to some home telescopes that remote control the movement of everything so when we look through the lens all is still there to see!

I have a 130mm Sky Watcher telescope which is brilliant for looking at the moon and Jupiter, the bright planet is definately Jupiter as I was looking at it the other day. With my telescope I can see four moons and the bands on jupiter once I get my 'eye in', not seen the red dot yet though. The mount I have is manual but has two twisty knobs which allow very fine adjustment so once something like jupiter is in view I can quite easily keep looking at it without looking awway from the lens. When I first got the telescope last year I was amazed how quickly things move across the field of view. Fascinated new world though.

Moomin

Posted

The mount was £245. The telescope on top of it was....well....I'd better not say in case my wife sees this.

erm... i couldnt even justify the mount to my mrs! a mate of mine paid over a grand for his telescope! hes not even a serious star gazer, he just likes his gadgets!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Google Sky Maps application is as far as my budget lets me nosey around.

Great for i-d things tho !

Then when located closer look on this excellent site http://media.skysurv...e360/index.html

Edit - Edit forgot to concur - Jupiter for sure !

It's great pointing out what folk think is a star and ask them - whats that - and they say its another star doh, then you tell them its Jupiter.

Then the look at you in disgust and whilst you grin realise you have out geeked them

Edited by lorenzo