Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather In The South Becoming Less Interesting?

wimblettben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Over the last few years I have noticed a distinct decline of any interesting weather in the South of the country. It seemed to begin back in 2007 and since then things seemed to have been getting worse and worse.

First I noticed that thunderstorms had reduced during the summer of 2007, but it still wasn't bad because we would always have the active atlantic pattern during the Autumn months. We had a continued lack of thunderstorms from then on, but after 2009 we seemed to have now also been getting a lack of strong winds or winds which at least get above 50mph. It seems like most Atlantic, proper deep depressions always run too far Northwest of us to effect the South anymore.

So right now all we get these days is a few distant rumbles of thunder, and winds at there highest in gusts not getting much above 40mph!

Has anyone else noticed this decline in the South of the country or is it just me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

What about the last 3 winters? They were hardly boring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Winter is the only interesting season, thunderstorms, gales and proper rain have all but left

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I would not just say it's the south I would say a fair side of the East has been seeing more settled weather just take this year as an example, droughts in force for some where as the west has had loads of rain this year, Gales have affected the west whilst the East has saw very few I have recorded 8 day's for the entire year so far that we had had gales 3 day's in May I think it was, 3 in September and 2 in October.

Though you have had snow for the past few winters.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

What about the last 3 winters? They were hardly boring!

I am not talking in terms of lack of cold obviously!

There has been plenty of that these past few years. What I mean is lack of gales or thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I spent most of the period September 2007-June 2011 in Norwich. If we define "exciting" weather as referring to thunderstorms, cloudbursts, snowstorms, strong winds and unusual heat or cold, then I didn't notice any significant overall decline in exciting weather in Norwich until the 30th November 2010. It's true that Norwich had unusually few thunderstorms during 2010 but this was offset by the other variables, particularly the unusually snowy winter of 2009/10. But then a marked step-change occurred, after which Norwich missed most of the snow during December 2010, had a lot of dull uneventful weather in January and February 2011, and then missed most of any convective action between March and June 2011.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

It's been 2011 particularly, Jan & Feb weren't wintry, Spring nearly got there but summer wasn't summery and autumn wasn't autumnal. If we have a non wintry December it will have felt like the flattest year of weather in my experience.

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Having lived in continental climates, upland and north western UK, East Hertfordshire does appear to be a sort of weather free zone. Of itself this isn't that suprising and accounts for why this part of the UK, in an agrarian pre-industrial economy was one of the richest places in Europe. Even with primative technology, surpluses could often be produced and traded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It's been 2011 particularly, Jan & Feb weren't wintry, Spring nearly got there but summer wasn't summery and autumn wasn't autumnal. If we have a non wintry December it will have felt like the flattest year of weather in my experience.

Agreed. At least the likes of 2007 had extreme rain events which were interesting, and 2008, and 2009. 2011 is just dull, boring and flat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I think 'flat' would be a very appropriate term to describe the year in terms of the CET. All the cool months have been warmer than average and all the warm months have been cooler than average making for a very bizzare year for monthly CETs.

April, and indeed the Spring as a whole, deserves more recognition though with it being the warmest ever and very dry too. But i agree that Summer was pants and i can understand many people being very underwhelmed by January and February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Regarding the spring it really depends on what one thinks of as 'interesting' weather. I tend not to find consistent but unexceptional warmth and dry weather very interesting, which we got a lot of during March and May in eastern England- its main positive feature is how 'usable' it is for outdoor activities. That said, I thought April 2011 was pretty special.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I think you're correct in terms of there being less thunderstorms, most certainly there have been. I am absolutely certain of that. Looking back thorugh my storm diaries we had them in abundance in the 90's, a decline but still a respectable amount up till 2005 and since 2005 we've been lucky to get one a year.

But I disagree with everything else, we've had very hot summers, lots of snow in winter (here at least anyway). If I recall there was an article in April about how the BBC were going to investigate the sharp decline in storms.

Even though rainfall has been below normal this year, there has been no shortage of proper rain, or gales this year. April 2011 was a record breaker, and October 2011 also has some stunning weather. So no to a lack of exciting weather to me.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

This really is subjective and depends upon what one defines as interesting!