Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Channel 4 Weather

Dom W

Channel 4 Weather Website  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Channel 4 Weather - Are you a fan?

• Yes
    • No
    • It might grow on me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Hi there, Channel 4 has launched a new weather website and suspicions about the unusual twist have been answered. The UK has been split into a series of blocks with each block containing a weather symbol and a colour to represent how the weather feels. Channel 4 also have a new weatherman named Liam Dutton who was on the BBC.

The site was launched but the weather after the actual news is still the same; I guess it will change soon too.

To check out the site, check out www.channel4.com/weather

Edited by Dommy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I was told about this in school today and was expecting to see a more improved website.

But it looked very bland to me and seemed extremely simple. I don't like how they have used big horrible blocks for the seperate parts of the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Very basic, something new but nothing special....give it a miss

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

That's awful even with the cities on. Leicester is not further south than Birmingham.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

They don't even have Oxford as one of the main cities in the region, they have bigger towns instead :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Well if that is what they call a weather website they want to give up a 5 year old could design a better site than that.

I mean what is good about this?

Its just awful.

:rolleyes:

Apparently, televised forecasts with a presenter start in a week or so.

God help us I dare to think what the graphics will look like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

Oh dear....looks as if somebody at channel 4 got bored on microsoft excel during their lunchbreak and thought it would be a good idea to make a forecast map....

Posted

Yeah unfortunately, whilst I do like Liam (Dutton) as a good all round forecaster to be classed as the 'front runner' for this setup is a shame as it really is a poor setup they have got. The blocky-shaped design to the website is horrific and looks more akin to days of 28.8kb dial up internet web pages!...

I guess it's a work in progress as it all seems to new, but still to go live with this isn't good!

M.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, pretty awful, and not well timed either (as the BBC has recently been improving the layout and facilities of the much-maligned BBC weather website). Not that I ever took much notice of Channel 4's weather anyway...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It does look dyer but i judge a weather site / programme by its forecast verification than by its presentation.

Posted

In this day in age as weather websites are upgrading to much more modern technological layouts, it seems Channel 4 have maybe gone for a basic,plain and boring looking template, not good at all!

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

terrible way to present a forecast, how can you be accurate with a setup that can't define exact areas. probably the most basic website for weather i've ever seen.

Posted

O.o

Its like something designed by a 4 year old. This constant dumbing-down of weather forecasts across the entire TV network is beyond a joke - this C4 'effort' is taking the you-know-what.

And 'they' say we are national that loves to talk about the weather - and we have to be subjected to this monstrosity. I remember a time when the content of a weather forecast within the schedule wasn't 75% about today's weather, 20% about tomorrow's weather and 5% devoted to 'what could happen'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

It's okay, but I must admit I'm not keen on the block idea. Problem is, even within these block areas, there are likely to be large variations in temperatures from one place to another, thanks to urban heating, elevation, distance from the coast, etc. (Leek, for example, is usually 1 to 3*C colder than Birmingham thanks to its higher elevation).

I do, however, like the vast range of weather symbols they have in their 'Weather Symbols' section.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Have noticed that the TV weather has been given a revamp, it started yesterday. Sort of a mix between BBC and Sky News; seems to be a common trend to follow a similar style of map now. At least this weather map is green.

Posted

I do, however, like the vast range of weather symbols they have in their 'Weather Symbols' section.

Some of which are going to have the BBC copyright lawyers reaching for their pens...

It remains to be seen whether the television forecast is more accurate than the BBC/MetO or anyone else, but it's no great breakthrough as far as presentation/graphics are concerned.

Edited by crepuscular ray