Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

all the weather forecasters said it would sleet or rain today with partly sun all i have seen is snow, we can all want heavy snow but i think we would all be better off in the north or south pole

Posted

There must have been some in Keswick (<100m asl) as the is still a little bit left on the rooftops.

http://www.friarsofk...tre-live-webcam

There could well be, im just going off a text which said "no low lying snow, about 200-250m" lol. My mum is one to always down play snow even if its a blizzard outside as she hates the stuff :rofl:

Posted

2 from myself showing the conditions near to Buxton (bottom end of the Goyt Valley.) We managed some 3cm totals, with Buxton and higher routes reporting 6cm and higher in places.

This is overlooking the local area a couple of minutes walk away from me.

post-8763-0-51202300-1324050498_thumb.jp

post-8763-0-58207300-1324050541_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

LOL just seen the BBC weather video (updated at 12.30) and there was no reference as to the severe weather unfolding and mentioned some sleet at low levels. Now for a high paid job such as that, you'd expect them to actually bother to look at the reports/obs/data that was coming in to them? It's situations like these that leave the METO open to criticism from the public. They bring it on themelves sometimes.

yes maybe they should ahve reported it,however to say its severe weather when theres little more than an inch of snow is a bit extreme to say the very least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That's it thaw wise for today. Temperature is down to 0.2C and the melt water on the roof is completely frozen. There are also small icicles on the telephone pole wires.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

yes maybe they should ahve reported it,however to say its severe weather when theres little more than an inch of snow is a bit extreme to say the very least.

It's not always the depths that are important, it's the consequential chaos on the road networks. Several accidents today and it seems that the local council weren't even informed of the potential for snow as no gritting had been done!

Posted

It's not always the depths that are important, it's the consequential chaos on the road networks. Several accidents today and it seems that the local council weren't even informed of the potential for snow as no gritting had been done!

Not sure gritting would of helped much today. The main roads were gritted here, so much so that you could see the layer of it, but when the snow came down it stuck right on it, the main roads still have snow on them now I've just been told and thats nearly 2 hours since it came down. Have to wonder if it was just sand theyre putting down lol.

Posted

Buxton temp dropping to -1.2'c with the northerly vectors setting in I expect Ice will be the main issue aswell as the accumulations on higher routes, unfortunately there could be some people who assume with the settled snow that the temp isn't going to become an issue and could easily hit a sheet of black ice anywhere we've seen snowfall today. Clearing skies also by midnight exacerbating things further.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Buxton temp dropping to -1.2'c with the northerly vectors setting in I expect Ice will be the main issue aswell as the accumulations on higher routes, unfortunately there could be some people who assume with the settled snow that the temp isn't going to become an issue and could easily hit a sheet of black ice anywhere we've seen snowfall today. Clearing skies also by midnight exacerbating things further.

Anymore to come in your opinion?

Posted

If anything, snow helps to cool the 2m air, so black ice will be more of an issue. I've always thought quite the opposite. Snow on the ground = lower temperature than no snow on the ground. So far it's always been correct, but I guess there are exceptions? E.G. when there's a strong wind, mixing the cold air boundary and the slightly milder boundary together?

0.0C here now. Another 0.1C and it's my first airfrost. :)

Posted

The only more looking like it could come is the batch of showers now starting to make headroads in the NE, given the last feature (possible surface low but more likely a trough) didn't survive much of the Pennine crossing i'd be reasonably skeptical however its not a complete write off depending on what the 850hpa vectors do up there in the next 6 hours.

Posted

Radar says light shower for my location shortly.

They're being impressively pepped up by the shortwave as they head South.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Currently 1.1C but slush is turning to ice. The water in general is unfrozen though, thanks to a increasing NW wind.

Posted

Currently 1.1C but slush is turning to ice. The water in general is unfrozen though, thanks to a increasing NW wind.

The wind is 0.0mph here. :lol:

0.0C still, refusing to go that extra tenth!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Gonna start get something in a minute

Posted

@ Backtrack

Again its a complicated area with Ice, not so much in forecasting but the area it's expected to be in. So many variables such as evapourative cooling during the day, height, cloud depths, layers, dewpoints, obviously temperature. You can even have lying snow without ice given the right setup..but this evening I would image (I haven't seen the charts for this) its a combination of snowfield temps, height, and evaporative cooling from these troughs 'drying out' the air, to put it in laymans terms.

Posted

Gonna start get something in a minute

That first shower hugging the coast is too far West to affect us.

Look NE. Nice little shower moving down to us.

@ Backtrack

Again its a complicated area with Ice, not so much in forecasting but the area it's expected to be in. So many variables such as evapourative cooling during the day, height, cloud depths, layers, dewpoints, obviously temperature. You can even have lying snow without ice given the right setup..but this evening I would image (I haven't seen the charts for this) its a combination of snowfield temps, height, and evaporative cooling from these troughs 'drying out' the air, to put it in laymans terms.

Ah right, thanks for that.

Yeah as you say, tonight the roads will be lethal, quite a bit of slush on them from this afternoon.

Powder snow generally gives little ice I find?

Temperature just gone up to 0.1C... will it ever drop to under 0.0C this year?!?! GRRR!!

Posted

peter we are 10 mile away from u i ve got snow again here if u want it lol and according to smooth radio fo the north west these snow showers be here till weekend

Edited by mandi35

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

I know you have mandi but on 2nd thought we wont get it