Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

Posted

magic to see plenty other places get a white Christmas....won't be jealous.....honest :)

Unfortuantly this polar maritime air won't be here for Xmas judging by the models. Just crap mild from Wednesday onwards.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Not sure what the problem is there BM, I opened it in Firefox and it looked fine? No problem to change it back over though.. :)

I use Opera and the user icons have been replaced with ordinary blue markers this morning. As long as everyone's in the right place (ahem) it's no big deal...

All white this morning, still freezing hard under the sun.

AWT, don't say 'mild crap' - it's 'nicely mild' for those who have to work in it ;)

Posted

Still no snow here as yet this winter (not unusual) but today is glorious: clear blue skies and crisp sunshine, +0.7c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Lorenzo, why are you now pink?

Pink?? What shenanigans is this you speak of. Am editing weather stations just now as someone is adding them to the map and am fixing hyper links !

Will get myself back to a 'normal' colour in a moment, pink is entirely unseasonal!

Posted

Pink?? What shenanigans is this you speak of. Am editing weather stations just now as someone is adding them to the map and am fixing hyper links !

Will get myself back to a 'normal' colour in a moment, pink is entirely unseasonal!

No :rofl: :rofl: I mean at the bottom of this page where it shows who's reading the forum!!!

Posted

Ha Ha ha ! That's purple HC - not pink. I am doing a Regional Forum Host role just now and all the regional hosts show on the user list as Purple !!

Posted

What's this about?

It means you have to be nice when he's around or he'll ban you. It also means he has to be nice to everyone - which he is anyway :wub:

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

not looking good for further snow for the central belt next week although its set to get colder toward the end of the week lets hope January brings us all

a good dumping of snow

Posted

not looking good for further snow for the central belt next week although its set to get colder toward the end of the week lets hope January brings us all

a good dumping of snow

Listen, at the end of November everyone thought December was going to be a non-event for any cold or snow. Look at what we've got: many days of decent snow cover and equall amount of snow days with last December.

Next week will be mild but let's hope that we do get a cold spell for Christmas. We can still afford to hope as it isn't until the 21st that we'll have a decent idea of what Christmas could be like.

And I believe that a lot of people think that the stratosphere should warm up and the polar vortex should weaken sometime between now and mid January which could result in a cold end to winter.

Posted

A selction of photos from this morning including one of Brodie Castle. Temperature fell to -6c at about 9.00am but currently -1c.post-2744-0-51729700-1324209998_thumb.jppost-2744-0-13487100-1324209955_thumb.jppost-2744-0-55691100-1324209914_thumb.jppost-2744-0-15027100-1324209866_thumb.jppost-2744-0-01525800-1324209733_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ha Ha ha ! That's purple HC - not pink. I am doing a Regional Forum Host role just now and all the regional hosts show on the user list as Purple !!

It's definitely pink. I think you can carry it off though lorenzo. :winky:

Crisp, clear and frosty here. Maybe 80% snowcover in the Leader valley.

Posted

The Met Office can be laughable.

The Snow we had on Friday morning was a yellow warning; the snow of comparable nature in central England was an amber.

A snowfall that brought distruption to Scotland's roads in December was a late yellow warning; wet snow on the higher ground is an amber warning

Posted

AWT the forum host role is there to support threads and to encourage the discussion, am totally new to this so still working out what to do.. This of course is one of the most chilled threads on NetWx and it does not require intervention etc etc.

What I have noticed as how quickly the site gets extremely busy when snow is predicted..

Also if you are just looking in and haven't posted yet - jump in ! We are a friendly bunch.

Nice pics NL.

Off to find my pink shirt..

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Also if you are just looking in and haven't posted yet - jump in ! We are a friendly bunch.

Mondy...Come Out, Come out wherever you are......

The map's taking shape but I would love it if we could put the will it rain today radar over it.

Posted

Got up this morning at 6.30am think we'd had that freezing rain malarkey, everything and I mean everything was covered with a frozen skin of ice with the texture of roughcast. Side roads were like a bottle, main roads were alright where they had been gritted, in places they had been carpet bombed.

Where I live no two wheel drive vehicle had a hope in hell of getting to the main road, in fact it was struggle to just walk to the Subaru.

30 mins ago it was 0.5c and a wee flurry of snow.

Posted

Just a wee flurry now, quite exciting really.

I'm sure you look fine as you are Lorenzo but perhaps this might suit:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Autograph-Luxury-Cotton-Plain-Shirt/dp/B005MV1LZA?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_6&nodeId=303568031&sr=1-6&qid=1324212889

Posted

amber alert out for Strathclyde for sleet and snow gotta say i am surprised i really wasn't expecting any further snow next week

we will see :good:

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Snow for high ground round Embra too, and allegedly to low levels for a time tomorrow... but then after the last week, I'm not sure I believe anything the MetO say - does anyone know what they're doing differently? Have they altered the thresholds for publishing forecasts or something? Because it just changes every hour and that means nobody takes any of it seriously on the assumption it won't happen because the last fifteen "Severe Weather" warnings have turned out to be zilch.

Posted

Snow for high ground round Embra too, and allegedly to low levels for a time tomorrow... but then after the last week, I'm not sure I believe anything the MetO say - does anyone know what they're doing differently? Have they altered the thresholds for publishing forecasts or something? Because it just changes every hour and that means nobody takes any of it seriously on the assumption it won't happen because the last fifteen "Severe Weather" warnings have turned out to be zilch.

likely one of those marginal events where location will be a factor so i guess they are covering all possibilities

prectypeuktopo.png

PS the netweather charts are not picking any snow up if I understand correctly the met-office use different models

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

likely one of those marginal events where location will be a factor so i guess they are covering all possibilities

PS the netweather charts are not picking any snow up if I understand correctly the met-office use different models

Which is fair enough, except they seem to be covering all possibilities at a level of "well, since it's possible there may be a heatwave in December in Scotland, we'd better put out a Severe Weather Warning for one".

Have they changed something? It's just got ridiculous in the last week or so - before that it was a really reliable site for my area.

Posted

Which is fair enough, except they seem to be covering all possibilities at a level of "well, since it's possible there may be a heatwave in December in Scotland, we'd better put out a Severe Weather Warning for one".

Have they changed something? It's just got ridiculous in the last week or so - before that it was a really reliable site for my area.

as far as I know they recently changed the way they display warnings with new icons etc. and i think they have tried to pin down the warning areas

of forecast to try pin weather down to a more regional and local level hopefully someone on the forum may be able to give a bit more insight

into the met-office recently

Edited by glasgow-guy