Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2011 Second Warmest Year On Record

Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The past year has been the second warmest on record for the UK, the Met Office has said.

It said provisional figures show that only 2006, with an average temperature of 49.5F (9.73C), was warmer than 2011's average temperature of 49.3F (9.62C). Despite this year seeing high temperatures for long periods - including the warmest April and spring on record, the second warmest autumn and the warmest October day - early figures suggest we are ending 2011 with a "close to average" December.

John Prior, national climate manager at the Met Office, said: "While it may have felt mild for many so far this December, temperatures overall have been close to what we would expect. "It may be that the stark change from last year, which was the coldest December on record for the UK, has led many to think it has been unseasonably warm."

uk.news.yahoo.com/2011-second-warmest-record-123510049.html

Hopefully this will continue into 2012 with what I hope is a long overdue hot Summer.

Posted

I doubt it will as this years exceptional warmth was down to exceptional synoptics, don't be surprised to see Northern blocking through much of the summer months. Ok maybe more wishful thinking, but here's to a cool and wet summer followed by a record breaking cold winter. :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I doubt it will as this years exceptional warmth was down to exceptional synoptics, don't be surprised to see Northern blocking through much of the summer months. Ok maybe more wishful thinking, but here's to a cool and wet summer followed by a record breaking cold winter. :acute:

Actually that's a good question, you never know!! Spring could become the coldest on record through synoptics alone, just as it can become warmest on record. Imagine have a flip reversal of this year?

Winter (Warmest on record/Average) - Spring (Coldest on record) - Summer (Hottest on Record - Autumn 2012 (Coldest on record)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It may seem surprising being the second warmest year on record given a slightly cooler-than-average summer and a close to average January, with the only really oustanding warmth being concentrated during April and late September/early October. However, February, March, May, October and November were all characterised by consistent rather than outstanding warmth, such that a large positive temperature anomaly was able to accumulate during those months despite it never feeling really warm.

Posted

It's been remarkable more for the lack of below average temperatures than for exceptionally warm temperatures, with the exception of April and late September/early October. Some areas of the south still haven't recorded an air frost this winter- I know there hasn't been one in Cheltenham yet. I do feel that some are playing down the warmth of this year too much, however- autumn did actually feel warm to me, particularly the mornings. I barely needed a jacket at all until November and even into November there were some exceptionally warm days with some places reaching 18C mid-month (the 13th?). It's the first time I've seen people sitting outside pubs in t shirts in mid-November.

Posted

Well Gavin, what would you rather have, the 2nd warmest year on record (with a rubbish summer) or a cold and snowy year with the warmest and sunniest summer on record?

2nd Warmest Year on Record? All the other years that I've seen have had warmer temperatures in summer and may. It certainly didn't feel warm except April.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Well Gavin, what would you rather have, the 2nd warmest year on record (with a rubbish summer) or a cold and snowy year with the warmest and sunniest summer on record?

2nd Warmest Year on Record? All the other years that I've seen have had warmer temperatures in summer and may. It certainly didn't feel warm except April.

What about late September/October?

Posted

What about late September/October?

September/October was painful. As Southern England and Wales Enjoyed temperatures into the mid to hight twenties, here in Scotland we had to go through heavy rain, 13c and dull cloud. April was the best we had, the rest was mild, summer was cold. That's not my idea of one of the warmest years on record, especially with the hottest time of the year being cool. Anyway it's winter, other than looking back on the year as a whole, why should be talking about heat? Except one person of course.

Posted

September/October was painful. As Southern England and Wales Enjoyed temperatures into the mid to hight twenties, here in Scotland we had to go through heavy rain, 13c and dull cloud. April was the best we had, the rest was mild, summer was cold. That's not my idea of one of the warmest years on record, especially with the hottest time of the year being cool. Anyway it's winter, other than looking back on the year as a whole, why should be talking about heat? Except one person of course.

I guess you'll probably find it wasn't the second warmest year going by Scottish records, especially given that January and December were notably cooler in Scotland than England, and, as you say, the September/October heat wasn't felt properly that far North.

Posted

It is interesting, as it was the 10th warmest year globally.

That is quite far down the list of all time highs, and a bit of a surprise, to me.

Posted

It is interesting, as it was the 10th warmest year globally.

That is quite far down the list of all time highs, and a bit of a surprise, to me.

The effects of a potent, and what I've been lead to believe is a double-wave, La Nina?

Posted

Well, warmest year ever in France for 2011 before 2003 and 1994.With a all mean temp of 13.62 to 13.65c ( not definite figure yet) against an average of 12.15c for 1971-2000 .

It made the headlines on wednesday here in France.

No one may remember that the warmest 12 month period were from June 2006 to May 2007 with a stunning 2.3c anomaly.

April and November with 4c and 3c are the ones with higher anomaly and 5 months are with anomaly of 2c or more ( including April and November)

As for myself April was quite noticeable , as was the heat of late september ( helped moved my bro and was sweating as in summer)

Most warmest months came in second though : second warmest November, April ,second warmest autumm but first warmest spring.

November was also noticeably warm here .

July is the only month with a negative anomaly of -1.3c

To sum up 2011 warmest year ever as a calendar year with 1.5c anomaly Nationaly

June 2006 to May 2007 warmest12 month period ever with a worrying 2.3c anomaly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Certainly doesn't feel like it..

Probably not for the Scots either as it was the wettest year on record in Scotland..

Mabe if Summer was very hot and dry it would have been note worthy but warmest year on record due to mild, dull months with nothing interesting weatherwise is just not interesting..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Certainly doesn't feel like it..

Probably not for the Scots either as it was the wettest year on record in Scotland..

Though for some parts of the country, much of the summer was quite warm and sunny and, like the winter, spring and autumn, also very dry. Reputedly the driest year on record here.

Just shows how diverse the climate can be in this small isles.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Though for some parts of the country, much of the summer was quite warm and sunny and, like the winter, spring and autumn, also very dry. Reputedly the driest year on record here.

It would have had to be below 374mm to beat 1921 in Evesham though.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

It would have had to be below 374mm to beat 1921 in Evesham though.

That's interesting Tony - I was just going by what I'd heard. So far, rainfall this year is 387.5mm (in my garden), so not quite the driest then. But not far off!

Posted

Thanks to TM for providing the British Rainfall 1921 data (see the 2011 rainfall thread).

3 Evesham gauges received between 374 and 385mm, so you just missed the record!

Perhaps there is someone with a lower total near you?

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It was very dry here too, less then 460mm of rain, but that is not interesting.. it has had no affects here, no drought, reservoirs are doing fine.. I want weather I can see, like a storm or a snowfall..