Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 'model Boffin Thread'?

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hello guys.

Was just talking to Isolated Frost on Facebook, and he came up with a great idea in which we both agreed, and he asked me to start a thread (I assume he's too lazy :winky: )

We came to the conclusion that the model thread could be messy at times, and so why not have a model thread where only the most knowledgeable members can post? Clean cut, straight to the point information that people come here to read!

Some of the members we would like to see should our idea be put forward are the following:

Glacier Point

Steve Murr

Chionomaniac

Nick F

Nick Sussex

Paul

John Holmes

Thundery Wintry Showers

Blast From The Past

Phil N Warks

Lorenzo

OldMetMan

Bluearmy

Lomond Snowstorm

THE EYE IN THE SKY

Isolated Frost

Thanks! :D

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

We tried this last year and it didn't fly unfortunately.

Do you think it could work if the list of 'boffins' were picked by the members themselves?

Posted

I don't think the list would change dramatically if it were, the issue last year was that the thread wasn't posted into that often with a small number of those who were invited taking part on a regular basis. People have limited time and want to be involved in the debate rather than posting into a colder, quieter area so I understand why. It's a difficult balance to strike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

We tried this last year and it didn't fly unfortunately.

I'd like to think it is very much needed this time around.

There is a lot of very good posts around the MOD- great daily analysis and teleconnective output- and it takes so much to trawl through. I remember last year we had some problems, but not on this year's scale- due to the fact the cold really was set in- there was less moaning and general complaints due to the amazing Dec 10.

I think many would really appreciate a good look at the bigger picture without viewing a very hectic MOD thread. Of course the issue of MOD getting diluted is a problem- but copy and paste is always an option for the 'popular' posts on the boffin thread.

This year and many more will have a big concentration on the bigger picture instead of the simple NWP based output most read on the MOD- I appreciate any decision you make though, I understand your point of view :)

Posted

I can see where you are both coming from there.

Yes, I agree with Paul about the consistency of posts, most of the members like to get involved in the wider discussions.

I also see where Arjan is coming from, and he's made a great suggestion there of copying and pasting the best posts over so the members & guests can grasp an unbiased analysis of what's in front of them.

Posted

We did actually have the plan to copy and paste posts into a sep thread this winter but unfortunately it is massively time consuming and hasn't been possible as yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

People post in the model thread because it is busy, they get feedback, they get recognition and all those good things that make a forum work. If we 'pick' special members, someone (maybe lots of someones) will feel overlooked, and the 'boffins' will sit in the cold dark boffin thread and feel a little lonely. they have to leave the thread and go to the public area to get involved with discussing their thoughts, it's a forum after all, it's not fair to restrict members to one thread, or make all other members feel like they aren't clever enough to make a contribution.

Posted

We could perhaps start a Morons' Model Thread where only the really stupid members can post, leaving the normal thread for those with an IQ.

If you'd like to be considered for this thread, please drop me a PM....if you're capable of it.

EDIT: Or like this post.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

OON, you never fail to make me laugh. Keep up the good work. :lol:

EDIT: Good one, but you won't get me that easy. :winky:

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

We could perhaps start a Morons' Model Thread where only the really stupid members can post, leaving the normal thread for those with an IQ.

If you'd like to be considered for this thread, please drop me a PM....if you're capable of it.

You mean that's not what it already is OON?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

I like this idea in principle Backtrack but to name the "best posters" publicly could be an issue.. Esp as there are quite a few others that make valid comments on the MOD. It's an excellent thread for that reason.

Solution: The 'manage ignore preferences' is a godsend - you simply mark off the posters arguing, sniping or whatever gets your goat and the thread becomes easier to read.. Occasionally you'll see someone reacting to a post from someone you've 'ignored' in the form of quote and that can be quite useful - if it isn't then just ignore them too (-:

It takes about 20 mins to select and filter (cull) out the folk you don't want to read - personally I've found best time to do this is around the time the 06z gfs comes out :spiteful:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I was going to suggest this as well OON!

I could think of a few who could be honorary members of this thread!

Posted

Just a comment from me.

Paul has already posted that it was tried last year-folk rarely went in it. As soon as any cold and snow risk disappeared then even those posting, with 1 or 2 exceptions stopped posting.

Preparing a post of some length with ones thoughts and charts to explain it is a lengthy business, often folk simply have not got the time to do this. I know as over the years I have done my best to help.The MOD thread causes about the most problems for the team than any other, closely followed by the climate area. Why?- because folk will not READ the rules we all signed up to, stick to the topic, stop sniping and be polite to one another.. If these guidelines were followed and with my comment about the time to prepare a post then there would be no need for another thread-try the technical one-its often not that technical and the same with the Srtatospheric thread, chiono especially has given loads of links for us all to read and try to understand the compexities; he is also always ahppy to answer specific questions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I like the idea of an idiot only thread Oon!

That would be pretty hilarious! Please say we can do it Paul!? :p

I think the in depth model thread is a great example of why this idea (boffin thread) would not work. That thread is hardly used.

The MOD thread is fast paced and that is why I love it! The banter thread seems to be working really well too!

Good job team!!