Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very High Pressure

Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Am I the only one who has noticed the very high pressure readings in the UK recently?

Current pressure here is 1045.0mb and rising. I believe the record is 1053.6mb (I'm sure Mr_Data can either confirm or debunk that).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Out of interest, what would happen if the pressure reached 0? Or what would happen if the pressure reached 5000?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

We would float or be crushed.

I have noticed the high pressure too, i really do not think that pressure has dropped below 1020mb yet.

Posted

My highest is 1052.6 Mb on 16/02/08 @ 10:31 am

The world record goes to Mongolia.... 1085.6 mb OUCH

Edited by Richie V

Posted

I must admit I didnt notice, but it is indeed the highest pressure Ive ever recorded, with 1045.0hPa a few hours ago. The previous high was 1043.8hPa in Feb 2008 during that clear and cold spell mid-month.

A pressure reading of 1040hPa or above generally occurs every 2-3 years here, but 1045hPa is pretty exceptional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

This was mentioned somewhere else too im sure. it's the reason why we all got excited about the russian high. which was 1060MB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Pressure here was 1044.0 hpa at 1800 yesterday, equalling the February record set in 2008. It may have gone a bit higher overnight, I haven't checked yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I have noticed the high pressure too, i really do not think that pressure has dropped below 1020mb yet.

Oh. :rofl:

Posted

Pressure has been up at 1040 since the weekend peaking so far this morning at 1045, very interesting and looks good as my analogue barometer only goes up to 1050, would be good to see if it goes off the scale!

Posted

Probably a stupid question, but if this was the setup in July - how hot would it be?

Not as hot as you would think.

The hottest temperatures from a high are the south and west of it as minima in the centre would still drop quite low, especially with these sort of pressure values.

Would be lovely and clear though so i would say minima of 5C, maxima of 25C.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

What is interesting is that in spite of the constant high pressure recently, and indeed in the near future, many parts have managed significant precipitation, such as the wintry mix last weekend, and with another lot over the next 2 days. This next lot sees perhaps rather active fronts within a strong ridge of above 1032mbar.

Puzzled as to why this is possible, as a rule such high pressure would squeeze the moisture completely from any fronts, especially above about 1025mbar, let alone 1030mbar?

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Not as hot as you would think.

The hottest temperatures from a high are the south and west of it as minima in the centre would still drop quite low, especially with these sort of pressure values.

Would be lovely and clear though so i would say minima of 5C, maxima of 25C.

I don't have pressure statistics for the spell I'm thinking of- but I imagine if this setup occurred in summer we would have a spell similar to the end of May/beginning of June 2009. Dew points were very low and the air was extremely dry. I seem to remember the sun feeling unusually strong for the UK due to the clear sky and dry air- the sun actually had that sting to it that you get in the Med. During that spell temperatures reached the low to mid 20s by day. Would be surprised if it got down to 5C by night- I guess it would depend on whether it occurred at the start of the summer or later on.

Posted

I agree, puzzling.

It does seem to be enough to prevent mass shower development however it does not seem to effect frontal systems.

Posted

I agree, puzzling.

It does seem to be enough to prevent mass shower development however it does not seem to effect frontal systems.

Probably about right.

Below is an example which produced temperatures near where i said...

Rrea00120050607.gif

I believe in August 1995 there were also massive durinal ranges with minima close to 0C but maxima around 30C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Even though its raining in Darlington the pressure is currently 1033.7 hPa

The highest pressure recorded today so far is 1037.8hPa

What is interesting is that in spite of the constant high pressure recently, and indeed in the near future, many parts have managed significant precipitation, such as the wintry mix last weekend, and with another lot over the next 2 days. This next lot sees perhaps rather active fronts within a strong ridge of above 1032mbar.

Puzzled as to why this is possible, as a rule such high pressure would squeeze the moisture completely from any fronts, especially above about 1025mbar, let alone 1030mbar?

Normally there would be subsidence through the majority of the troposphere. In the last couple of days however there was enough vertical motion at the 700mb level coupled with quite moist air to produce significant precipitation.

Out of interest, what would happen if the pressure reached 0? Or what would happen if the pressure reached 5000?

Neither of these.

0mb effectively means that atoms are producing no pressure and no temperature - absolute zero. Like outer space, we'd be dead.

On the other hand 5000mb is a great force, but wouldn't crush us - it is the equivalent of diving to 40 metres which is considered the limit for recreational scuba diving. The record for a free dive is 273 metres - at which depth the pressure is 28454.7mb!!

Posted

Normally there would be subsidence through the majority of the troposphere. In the last couple of days however there was enough vertical motion at the 700mb level coupled with quite moist air to produce significant precipitation.

That must have happened 3 times in the last few weeks, I do not recall anything similar to this before, that is, significant rain totals with pressure above 1030mbar recurring within a short period.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Interesting that despite this high pressure we are possibly enduring the dullest and most depressing period of the winter so far. Very little sunshine on offer or indeed anything particularly interesting, in the west at least. Just dull, damp and miserable!