Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Frogs, Toads And Newts 2012

frogesque

Posted

Yesterday (Sat 18th Feb) saw the first frogs in an amourous tangle of bodies and legs lurking in the depths of our garden pond. Think they may have been a little previous as it's been iced over all day today and they have disapeared again!

They are there though and with another mild spell due during the week we could see more activity.

Any one else spotted early goings on?

Posted

Had a toad lurking outside the backdoor on Thursday night, but no pond action yet. The spawn usually appears around March 6-8th, so I'm not expecting much yet.

Posted

No toads here, In fact I rarely see them in the garden but the frogs were very much at it again today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

We are missing the frogs here.

It is usual for us to hear the frog chorus at night from late Jan through to March, but so far we have only heard their song for one evening early this month. Last year we counted more than 20 frogs in the pond at any one time, but this year, so far we havn't seen one! It might be that the conditions of the water has changed, but this really is late for the frogs appearance in this garden.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

No sign of any frogs here which is surprising. Goldfish are very active so the waters warm enough. However we haven't produced a single frog in the last two years as the tadpoles all disappear without trace within a few weeks and that's even in a pond without fish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Talk about famous last words. We can hear the frogs singing tonight. About time too! I love to shine the torch onto the pond and see their little white throats bobbing up and down in the water....I'm so sad :fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

There was a frog carrying out its travels behind the wheel of my car this evening. Must've been female it looked absolutely huge and pregnant haha. I didn't want to meddle with nature and left it. Luckily it decided to go under our side gate and head towards our pond. We usually get tonnes of frogspawn in our garden pond every year :)

Posted

No spawn yet but much croaking round the pond at nights and another tangle of bodies and legs in the depths!

Posted

Loads of frogs and toads about but no spawn yet. They do appear to have been in the pond because debris (odd bits of duckweed and sticky bits) is widely scattered on the surface. Haven't heard any wonderful croaking noises yet.

Posted

No sign of any frogs here which is surprising. Goldfish are very active so the waters warm enough. However we haven't produced a single frog in the last two years as the tadpoles all disappear without trace within a few weeks and that's even in a pond without fish.

Maybe you have a large number of water tigers? They have an insatiable appetite for tadpoles. They get huge, a couple of inches, and I find them very grotesque and creepy. Yuk!

http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/bugsfaq/diving.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yeah, I've seen a couple.

dscn0273h.jpg

2a0n68.jpg

24g50yr.jpg

Edited by Goku

Posted

No spawn plenty of croaking though.

Nope no nasties in my ponds like water tigers.

Posted

A plea to join the national spawn count! It looks like it is essential to record our sightings.

http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/article_5.htm

Posted

No spawn plenty of croaking though.

Nope no nasties in my ponds like water tigers.

Our resident blackbirds make a fair inroad into our taddies but enough make it through the summer to emerge as froglets.

Posted

A plea to join the national spawn count! It looks like it is essential to record our sightings.

http://www.naturesca...k/article_5.htm

If it's anything like last year our pond ended up as one big clump. Would be nice to get some breeding toads though!

Posted

Our resident blackbirds make a fair inroad into our taddies but enough make it through the summer to emerge as froglets.

Used to here. Neighbours pond now filled in sadly managed to produce young frogs i used to produce plenty until the last few years. So far no spawn laid by the way.

Posted

I was taking a stroll down the Goyt Valley yesterday (01 March) and caught 4 of these critters croaking away. Not a clue what species they are, but it was good to hear some wildlife other than the birds.

post-8763-0-63752500-1330656433_thumb.jp

Posted

I was taking a stroll down the Goyt Valley yesterday (01 March) and caught 4 of these critters croaking away. Not a clue what species they are, but it was good to hear some wildlife other than the birds.

post-8763-0-63752500-1330656433_thumb.jp

Marsh Frog

Posted

The frog in the picture you posted SNOW-JOKE is not a Marsh Frog also known as European green frogs, it is your average Common Frog also known as the European brown frog and is the only species native to Britain and are found everywhere. Marsh frogs if there are any in the UK (and if so are very rare) can be distinguised by their pointed snouts and have a distinct line running down their backs. Hope that helps

Posted

We had our first clump of spawn on Saturday! Loads of frogs about but the cold snap has iced the pond this morning so everthing has gone a bit quiet. Very bright and sunny today so could warm up again. Need a decent spell of spring weather with mild nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Pond has been nicely topped up by yesterday's rain but alas no frogs. I did see two piggybacking frogs a few days ago but no spawn has been produced yet.

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

I have a lovely old cast iron cattle trough at home, which I currently have next to my shed and has Hostas and ferns in, but it's getting a bit tired, and I'd love to make it into somewhere for the spawn my kids collect each year to develop. It's about 2ft deep, 2ft across and 4ft wide. It's in permanent shade, but I don't see that being a problem. We currently have a "pond" in the far corner of the garden near the beck, but it's underneath a Scots Pine which drops a lot of needles in, and in the summer, can be in full sun for hours on end (in theory, as that never happens here). My only concern is, does the cast iron cause any problems with the water quality or would I be best lining it first? I'd get the water from the beck where the spawn is collected anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I have a lovely old cast iron cattle trough at home, which I currently have next to my shed and has Hostas and ferns in, but it's getting a bit tired, and I'd love to make it into somewhere for the spawn my kids collect each year to develop. It's about 2ft deep, 2ft across and 4ft wide. It's in permanent shade, but I don't see that being a problem. We currently have a "pond" in the far corner of the garden near the beck, but it's underneath a Scots Pine which drops a lot of needles in, and in the summer, can be in full sun for hours on end (in theory, as that never happens here). My only concern is, does the cast iron cause any problems with the water quality or would I be best lining it first? I'd get the water from the beck where the spawn is collected anyway.

Best to line it first. If you don't want butyl/polythene flapping about the edges then paint it with a water-proofer designed for concrete ponds, it comes in a variety of colours including clear - available from most good garden centres.

Posted

Yep, It's a great idea OON and it will be a lovely 'observatory' for the kids but I would also line it or proof it in some way first. Concrete pond water proofer should do the trick.

Despite the cold snap we are getting more and more clumps of spawn in the pond and some unattached males keep trying to clasp the goldfish - needless to say, they aren't too keen on the idea!