Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bbc Weather Forecasts From The Easter Of 1998

Weather-history

Posted

Over the next a couple of days I will be downloading forecasts from mid April 1998 which provided flooding across parts of the Midlands and a really wintry spell of weather with snow and frosts. I recorded 5 consecutive days with falling snow and 2 days of lying snow under Met office rules. It was a complete contrast to what happened just 2 months earlier when we enjoyed a very mild spell during mid February.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I had wet snow on good friday 10th April, decent easter that! 90's winters the best!

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Cleadon the period surrounding Easter 1998 went as follows:

9th- dry cloudy start but the frontal cloud retreated southwards, sunny afternoon, then evening showers, mostly of rain but one of them turned briefly to snow.

10th- dry bright morning then clouded over, dull with sleety rain in afternoon and evening.

11th- sunshine and snow showers

12th- east-coast snow showers continued overnight with about an inch of snow until mid-morning, sunshine and snow/hail showers

13th- sunny morning, snow showers in afternoon

14th- sunny, after three days of areas to the east of the Pennines seeing the majority of the showers, this time most of the snow occurred to the west of the Pennines.

15th- mostly sunny, a few rain showers in the evening

16th- sunshine and snow showers during the morning, then it became dull with rain and sleet during the afternoon and evening.

I remember that spell pretty well. I remember a couple of BBC forecasts from that period, but interestingly neither of the ones that Mr_Data has posted up (I recall one which had us under a ridge of high pressure on Sunday which never materialised). As a result of this spell, April 1998 ended up as the snowiest April since I began recording, with 6 days of sleet/snow falling and 1 of snow lying despite Aprils 1999 and 2008 both producing slightly lower temperatures at the peak of their cold spells.

Posted

Remember this spell of weathe very well- we managed about 6 days on the trot with snow falling - on some occasions very heavy snow showers which gave coverings at times. Also some hard frosts as well. It was the wintriest spell of the 1997/98 season!

Posted

. Also some hard frosts as well. It was the wintriest spell of the 1997/98 season!

I go one better, I reckon for this neck of the woods, it was the wintriest spell between Jan 1997 and Dec 2000! In terms of lying snow and falling snow within a short timespan.

Posted

Unfortunately the sound quality is low. Interesting the radar during the Countryfile broadcast as it shows no showers inland but a couple of hours later they erupted widely. A neighbour was mowing his lawn that afternoon when a hail and snow shower struck!

Posted

The above forecasts prove how cold northerly airstreams even by mid April can be. Low maxima of 5-6 degrees in central england and in sunshine - once the showers arrive temps would be lower. It doesn't seem right we are seeing maxima of 19 degrees in late feb, when we still achieve maxima of 5 degrees in mid April.

Roll on winter in April!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looks like a cracking period of weather that, something for everyone. Why oh why can we not have something like that? The weather seems to be stuck on boring mode just lately.

Posted

. Low maxima of 5-6 degrees in central england and in sunshine - once the showers arrive temps would be lower. It doesn't seem right we are seeing maxima of 19 degrees in late feb, when we still achieve maxima of 5 degrees in mid April.

Roll on winter in April!

Also the pecularity of that it can be 3C in January and you get rain and sleet showers and yet you can have 6C in April and the showers are of snow and they start as snow and I have experienced flakes of snow falling whilst the sun was shining in mid April and you can feel the warmth of the sun. Really odd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Also the pecularity of that it can be 3C in January and you get rain and sleet showers and yet you can have 6C in April and the showers are of snow and they start as snow and I have experienced flakes of snow falling whilst the sun was shining in mid April and you can feel the warmth of the sun. Really odd.

Guessing it has something to do with the higher cloud tops and the formation of precipitation at a height where it forms as snow, thus helping it maintain as snow throughout the profile to ground level......surface heating being negated by the depth of the cold at the upper air level and the downdrafts that occur within cells.

• 8 months later...