Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Settled/warm Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

When the next time we get a decent heatwave?

Screw the cold and snow and bring on summer!!

Posted

It has been a remarkable spell of weather. I can't recall another period in March where 20C was recorded on several consecutive days across the country. Certainly in the north of England it is difficult to reach 20C in March and this was achieved on several consecutive days during the week. The spell was also unusual in that virtually everybody in the UK and Ireland enjoyed some notable warmth and sushine. This upcoming week is going to be a shock to many people, and for the vast majority not a welcome one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

We've had 2 weeks of non stop sun.. absolutely perfect weather IMO. It's going to be annoying this week, temperatures down to 12C with cloud, it will feel cold, and it's not really useful for anything. Lasting snow here is now pretty much impossible, and would not be wanted now anyway.

I would much prefer something that brings sunshine, this week is going to make me feel gloomy again and keep everyone locked up indoors instead of going outside and enjoying themselves!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We've had 2 weeks of non stop sun.. absolutely perfect weather IMO. It's going to be annoying this week, temperatures down to 12C with cloud, it will feel cold, and it's not really useful for anything. Lasting snow here is now pretty much impossible, and would not be wanted now anyway.

I would much prefer something that brings sunshine, this week is going to make me feel gloomy again and keep everyone locked up indoors instead of going outside and enjoying themselves!

At least its not even April yet so theres plenty more warmth and sunshine to come. Last October when the warmth ended we knew we wouldnt see it again for several months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

At least its not even April yet so theres plenty more warmth and sunshine to come. Last October when the warmth ended we knew we wouldnt see it again for several months.

but april starts tommorow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Stopping yourself going outside because it's cloudy is pretty sad IMO considering everywhere in the UK on average is cloudy most of the time.. including the sunny south coast.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

but april starts tommorow

I think you've missed his point there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Indeed Millhouse is right- we have late spring, summer and early autumn coming up, all of which can potentially deliver warm sunshine (and most of us are rather overdue a summer that is both warmer and sunnier than the long-term average).

Posted

Exactly. It's still the first half of spring. 12C is much more normal than 20C this early in the year.

It's like getting frost in late September and lamenting the fact that it's about to turn milder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Stopping yourself going outside because it's cloudy is pretty sad IMO considering everywhere in the UK on average is cloudy most of the time.. including the sunny south coast.

Maybe not everyone is the same, and find the weather a key factor for going outside, I tend not to go out loads because it's too cold and depressing most of the time, in a warmer country I and rodthefool would certainly be outside more, but everyone's different and if you want to go outside when the weather sucks that's cool, but not everyone will think the same.

Posted

I would say the warmth in the sunshine in the week just gone is far more appealing than the cloud of today. For instance i would much rather go cycling on a pleasant warm day than a chilly cloudy one.

I like sunny days but it can get annoying at times when driving when it blinds you at times and it can feel very warm in the sun early afternoon this time of year in open countryside so cloud does block the sun and make it more pleasant for walking though of course landscapes looks crap when its cloudy and much better when sunny with clear blue skies so my favourite time to walk in clear blue skies in April is early evening to dusk when the sun is weaker.

It is pretty sad to stay indoors when its cloudy, shouldnt let the weather control you like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I would say the warmth in the sunshine in the week just gone is far more appealing than the cloud of today. For instance i would much rather go cycling on a pleasant warm day than a chilly cloudy one.

Who wouldn't? But this is the UK, people need to be realistic, just like people are constantly reminded in winter 'this is the UK not Russia'

It is pretty sad to stay indoors when its cloudy, shouldnt let the weather control you like that.

My point exactly.. I get the feeling certain people should seriously consider emigrating to southern Europe for their sanity.. I'm pretty content here.

Posted

An exceptional week of weather here. Unbelievable for March and easily the best spell for warmth and sunshine since July 2006 B)

These are the maxes I recorded:

25th: 20.4C

26th: 20.3C

27th: 20.6C

28th: 19.8C

29th: 17.9C

30th: 18.2C

Truly extraordinary and, given that the late March average is only 9C, probably rates alongside early October 1908 as the most outstanding warm spell in the past 150 years here. All the more remarkable for occurring during an era of persistent mediocrity.

Also reached 18C on the 11th and 21st giving a total of 7 days in March that reached 18C compared to only 4 during the totally dire July 2011. This is despite the long term average max in July being 18.4C and in March only 8.4C.

Mean max close to 13C for March here while Aboyne has recorded a mean max over 14C :o

Overall my mean for the month has been 8.6C making it the second warmest March for the Aberdeen area. March 1938 remains the warmest March with a mean of 9.2C. March 1938 did not produce a spell as warm the past week but overall mean max was similar while the mean min was milder. No other Marches have come in above 8C.

I've recorded close to 190 hours sunshine making it the 3rd sunniest March on record, 1894 and 2003 being slightly sunnier. Also sunnier than every summer month since July 2006 which is not surprising since we have not had a remotely decent summer month since then :rolleyes:

Max today has been just 7.2C however - some 11C down on yesterday and the first single figure max since the 7th. It has felt really unpleasant with cloudy skies, strong winds and temps stuck on 6C until the sun came out at 5pm.

Edited by Richard2901

Posted
Also sunnier than every summer month since July 2006 which is not surprising since we have not had a remotely decent summer month since then :rolleyes:

Quite remarkable really considering how much daylight you get up there in summer. I recall June 2007 being duller than December 2006 in Aberdeen, which is just ridiculous.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I think you missed the point.. it will feel cold which was the point I was getting at.

Posted

Today was a little reminder of the warm spell of the past week with a max of 15c and plentiful sunshine. Quite a nice suprise for it to turn out so nice.