Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Settled/warm Spell Discussion

Posted

the sat piccs this morning show the cloud as being more extensive than yesterday so it may generally take longer to break up and is perhaps more likely to persist in more places than it did yesterday.

Having said that trying to predict the breaking up of a St or Sc sheet is very difficult, yet another forecasters far from easy task!

looking at the Watnall ascent it needs about 11C to break it. That should be possible with the amount of enegy available at this time of the year but probably not really before lunch time for many central areas. Complications as to what wind drift is also occurring, as anything off any coast will tend to delay this effect.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

the sat piccs this morning show the cloud as being more extensive than yesterday so it may generally take longer to break up and is perhaps more likely to persist in more places than it did yesterday.

Having said that trying to predict the breaking up of a St or Sc sheet is very difficult, yet another forecasters far from easy task!

looking at the Watnall ascent it needs about 11C to break it. That should be possible with the amount of enegy available at this time of the year but probably not really before lunch time for many central areas. Complications as to what wind drift is also occurring, as anything off any coast will tend to delay this effect.

Yes John most places that had the cloud yesterday didn't see a clearing until lunch time or after, here it didn't break properly until around 2 pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Classic "anticyclonic gloom" type conditions in Cleadon today with stratocumulus trapped under an inversion and rather hazier than yesterday, implying that we have some dust/pollution also stuck under the inversion. Temps are only around 7-8C at the moment so up here it will be quite a tall order to shift the cloud sheet, but further south it is more likely to get up to around 11C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Looking very likely that the sea mist which hit us on Sunday afternoon is going to stick around like it did yesterday- although of course just a few miles inland it tends to burn back. But that doesn't help with my washing on the line!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Bit doubtful that the temperature is going to reach 14*C here predicted on the 10 Day Netweather forecast with a lot of white cloud around. Does seem like the cloud cover may have been a little bit underestimated today. Having said that, the Met Office expected the temperature to reach 10*C, which is probably more likely considering the cloud cover. But with the temperature around 10*C at the moment, maybe there's still time for temperatures to rise higher before its too late. :)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

First cloudy day for a while in Leeds so congrats to Eugene.

Cloud did break very quickly from about 16:00 and we had a clear sunset.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes agreed Eugene has nailed this spell for many places, no sunshine here today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Why are we congratulating Eugene? This is the first cloudy day I've seen for around 8 days.. so no congratulations for Eugene.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

sunny here as well..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Again just because he was right for some areas doesn't mean he was for everyone.. really this forum is a joke at times..

Posted

Just returned from a 2 days business trip to Strasbourg near Germany and clear skies all the way on the ride on the train . Hazy though here in Paris and when i left Strasbourg.I was not in Paris yesterday but it was better than today as not hazy as today.Tomorrow certainly will be a splendid day nearing 18c and friday we could get our first 20c or over maybe!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Eugene right here as well, mon and tue completely sunless,

Cloudy mornings here, sunny afternoon yesterday and a late sunny afternoon today.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Again just because he was right for some areas doesn't mean he was for everyone.. really this forum is a joke at times..

I think Eugene is more correct than those of us, me included, who thought sunshine was going to be quite widespread apart from Western areas, as it had turned out, the cloudy weather is more widespread than what the set up on paper may of suggested.

Cloud images were quite a picture across the UK with those random holes appearing in some regions, shame none of those holes reached here even if the cloud did slightly try to thin out a bit.

Posted

Not one minute of sunshine here today and barely any yesterday or Sunday either, I wouldn't be shocked if its slate grey skies tommorow and Thursday now.

Posted

Today stayed foggy or misty all day here, with the map temp just 7.9C, a contrast to yesterdays 15.7C after morning fog cleared, although typically I wasn't here yesterday but it became very nice in Reading in the afternoon too at about 13-14C and sunny.

I must admit it's been more cloudy across the country than I thought today, and the MetO have been more correct than I thought they'd (the symbol maps) would be today when commenting on them the other day.

It's not foggy now though as it seems to have lifted into low cloud, with a temp at 6.7C.

Posted

the cloud clearance over the continent has extended west into the approaches to the English Channel showing on the latest sat picc

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Cloudy morning in Leeds but seems to be shifting fairly quickly now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Whats this?....sunshine!

Its brightened up enough to see shadows on the ground outside.

Posted

Whats this?....sunshine!

Its brightened up enough to see shadows on the ground outside.

It could be worse, at least you were around here at the weekend when it was 17C with sunshine. I happened to be up in Manchester which was plagued by cloud and even when the sun came out wasn't that warm. Then I returned to Gloucestershire on Sunday night and have barely seen the sun since! Maybe I should have stayed away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

It could be worse, at least you were around here at the weekend when it was 17C with sunshine. I happened to be up in Manchester which was plagued by cloud and even when the sun came out wasn't that warm. Then I returned to Gloucestershire on Sunday night and have barely seen the sun since! Maybe I should have stayed away!

Ah so its all your fault then :p

Yes the weekend was fantastic down here and I was able to get a lot done out in the garden, even with breaks to watch six nations games.

Edit.

The temperature has responded well too, up 0.6C in 10 mins.

Edited by windswept

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Maybe we should open up a settled but cold thread up, here are temps as of 16 00 hrs.

http://www.weatheron...TIME=1331741781

Cold? :lol: Your 'avin a laugh surely. Sun is out now and feels much milder! :D

Low cloud/mist has cleared in the past hour but temps are dropping like a stone, feeling very chilly with the weak sun having no impact at all, going to be a cold night tonight with air frost a definate in low lying countryside areas, could be some freezing fog by morning.

Posted

Why are we congratulating Eugene?

He's a genius :clapping:

Max just 6c at Church Lawford, that is actually cold for March.