Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 1 - Deep South Texas

Paul Sherman

Posted

An amazing Chase Day that had it all, we even might have seen the Tornado that touched down at 2:05pm (Just awaiting picture clarification from Nick)

We witnessed 4 Seperate Supercells and each of them with incredible Structure, I told the guys that Lightning would be plentiful but structure would probably be lacking, well how wrong I was! Every single one of those Supercells was incredible both in motion and Structure, never once did we feel outflow with winds and clouds screaming into the Storms. The Lightning at times was downright dangerous, we had to punch through 2 Mcs's early in the day as we started from DFW, Just NE Of San Antonio we dived south to finally punch through the grunge and was greeted to a very nice Supercell which almost instantly had a well defind funnel cloud. We stepped down to another Supercell, this one we chased for a good few hours, amazing structure and at times a rotating wall cloud in front of us that had some of the guys watching the stream screaming "Get Down and Drop"

After this Storm lost intensity we got on another beautiful Supercell which had amazing structure just West of Victoria, we then sampled Supercell number 4 and this threw out some incredible lightning to end the day, but it was not over there, we headed south east to stay at South Padre Island on the Gulf Of Mexico coast to set up for some Sea Lightning shots but got slammed by a Tornado warned storm, we took refuge in a chillis and even now thunder is crashing around.

Everyone is knackered and the risk area for Friday is pretty much over our heads, the other guys will post some of their pictures later today and I am sure they all really enjoyed this as they had their mouths open with amazement pretty much the whole day.

post-24-0-81623300-1336720487_thumb.jpg - Supercell Number 2 with incredible Structure and Large Hail

post-24-0-77001000-1336720551_thumb.jpg - Supercell Number 3

post-24-0-07385000-1336720586_thumb.jpg - Supercell Number 4 Just North of Corpus Christi

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Great start to the annual stormchase Paul. Watched the stream last night and overall received pretty good coverage and the quality of the picture was up there with the best..

Hope you all can get some sleep as the area is still under a Tornado watch...Ear-plugs at the ready!.... think you'll all need em with the thunder crashing around..(Then again you'll need to hear tornado sirens..dilemma..!!)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Awesome stuff guys and a new chase territory too, look forward to seeing more photos and maybe some lightning shots over the sea!

Posted

Great start to the tour with some great pictures Paul!

Not jealous.......... nea.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

What a wonderful start to this year. Good work Paul. Lovely supercell pics.

Posted

Awesome stuff from what looked like a poor outlook only a few days ago. Pretty much everything you would want from a chase and that structure on that first picture is just SICK blum.gif I am, however, even more jealous at the hotel location! drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

awesome start to the tour, and despite a few breaks in streaming it was addictive viewing last night. Poor Dave sharing a room post chillis, I'm assuming wings were ordered...

Great pics, keep them coming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

What a start! Especially when things looked so quiet about a week ago.

Looking forward to seeing more photos.

I'm jealous of the storms, but like Arron I'm also very jealous of your location. I would love to have chased that far south and got to the gulf of Mexico.

Posted

My, my a supercell looks so much better in the flesh compared to when viewed as a radar tracegood.gif

As to being down on the Gulf of Mexico, not impressed, can't be any different to Bournemouth beach surelymega_shok.gif

Posted

Another couple of Pics from some of the others. Lightning Picture is courtesy of Olly and Shelf Panorama is Mr Vicary's

post-24-0-36431900-1336748926_thumb.jpg - Anvil Cg Lightning

post-24-0-81355600-1336748951_thumb.jpg - Approaching Shelf Cloud near Kenedy (Texas)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Love the Pics Guys. Keep up the good work!good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Posted

Really enjoyed following the stream last night.......nice onedrinks.gif

Posted

Fantastic stuff!!. Was watching for a while last night and looked like you were in perfect position for some spectacular shots judging by the green skies I saw. Can't wait for more photos guys. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yeah great photos!! - your so lucky or rich!biggrin.png saw Paul's mug again on 'Natures fury - Tornado' repeat on ITV the other night, the one with the fella dressed up as an American footballer as he went out into a supercell. Keep safe!

Posted

Nice blog entry! I always keep meaning to do one but never get round to it :D looking forward to the next instalment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Another couple of Pics from some of the others. Lightning Picture is courtesy of Olly and Shelf Panorama is Mr Vicary's

post-24-0-36431900-1336748926_thumb.jpg - Anvil Cg Lightning

post-24-0-81355600-1336748951_thumb.jpg - Approaching Shelf Cloud near Kenedy (Texas)

Love that panorama Mr Vicary!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Hey guys hope your enjoying your Saturday, here is my write up from yesterday, need to get chase day 1 done, wait till you see the footage from MCS that nailed us!

http://twistedskies.net/blog/?page_id=21 clapping.gif