Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 2 - South Texas

Paul Sherman

Posted

Started the Day in Corpus Christi and had a leisurely morning on the Beach at South Padre Island, some of the guys went swimming and the Gulf felt like a Bath. We then took a look at the 95mph Wind Event that rocked us the evening before and Dave pictured some damage of Grain Silos North of Corpus Christi (Pictures to Follow)

With 1 eye on the next 2 days risks in New Mexico we meandered North towards the I-10 Corridoor and as we were within 50 miles of some strong convection to our East I asked the guys if they minded the brutal 500 mile drive back west if we went for it. Everyone agreed and seeing as I-10 Has an 80mph limit we knew we could muller the trip back west.

All the Storm to our east were lined up along I-10 Making an interception from the West a Tricky one, but I thredded us through the storms and we came out just South by about 1 mile to be greeted with a rapidly rotating Wall Cloud behind a Corn Field. The Storm then went tornado warned but just could not get a tube down despite numerous Funnel Cloud tendrils dancing from the ragged base.

We then headed back west to be within 2 hours of tomorrow's risks.

Another great chase day, some of the convection was shooting upwards at about 100mph today so great to see in the clear skies.

New Mexico on the cards over the 2 days of the weekend for some upslope action.

post-24-0-11685800-1336805050_thumb.jpg - Rotating Base SW Of Houston

post-24-0-30327600-1336805079_thumb.jpg - Angry Black Headed Gulls trying to find my Hair!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Quickly snapped these while driving past, this event also overturned 18 wheeler s and bent and snapped trees and power poles. I spoke with one local who said it was the worst storm to hit the area in over 20 years! Gotta admit it was a bit bloody awesome!

post-9920-0-51561400-1336805352_thumb.jp

post-9920-0-51665500-1336805791_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Well-done guys, a pretty productive first few days of the chase for what is a fairly quiet pattern for severe weather in May atm. I guess it must be quite nice not to have the usual hundreds of chasers converging on storms - fightning for a space to park on the verges. Most chasers not on chase cations or tours would snub going this far south to chase storms, the quiet stormtrack forum says it all.

Good luck with the next few days chasing upslope storms in New Mexico, W Texas and even southern Colorado, normally they don't move too fast - so should be a leisurely chase and I'm sure these storms, although only mentioned in text forecasts with no great tornado probabilities, will spring a few surprises.