Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Day 8 Discussion - Co/ks/ne

Paul Sherman

Posted

Starting today in Limon (Colorado) and we have a small risk of Storms today over the Higher Terrain on the Rolling Plains. Good news for the Tour 2 guys is tomorrow sees more of a risk again and now on their last day already a Slight Risk over Kansas and Western Oklahoma so at least this tour will go out with a bang it seems.

Going to look at some more data before we crunch a Target today but Limon is a pretty good starting point.

Regards

Paul S

Live stream:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

Posted

You could be drawn into southeast Wyoming possibly but there appears to be a slight risk developing out of a see text pattern east and northeast of Colorado Springs to Denver. Favourable looking morning cloud formations for later development and what might trigger would be convergence of air masses slightly differentiated by humidity levels and assisted by ridges running east-west away from the foothills. So I think you may not have too far to drive later, towards northwest in general. Could almost guarantee severe storms in central Wyoming but that's a long way and road options might be sparse. Tomorrow looks good in western Nebraska and northeast Colorado, extreme southeast Wyoming. Saturday appears tornadic in western Kansas.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

Starting today in Limon (Colorado) and we have a small risk of Storms today over the Higher Terrain on the Rolling Plains. Good news for the Tour 2 guys is tomorrow sees more of a risk again and now on their last day already a Slight Risk over Kansas and Western Oklahoma so at least this tour will go out with a bang it seems.

Going to look at some more data before we crunch a Target today but Limon is a pretty good starting point.

Regards

Paul S

Live stream:

http://www.netweathe...chaselive;sess=

Some of the temps in Colorado are really low, looking west it's showing temps/DP of 37/27 whereas further east in and around your area it's looking like 81/38. Need to stoke the ol' fire a tad...

Posted

Super doppler shows light showers along the front range at the moment.

VIL's are min rofl.gif (you know what I mean, Paul !!)

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Don't mean to be rude guys but the pictures seem really poor this year. Not on about the streaming, just that the images are often too dark to see or too bright. I don't recall this problem before?

Posted

What pictures are you on about Dave ??

The ones in the reports and pictures threads ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Don't mean to be rude guys but the pictures seem really poor this year. Not on about the streaming, just that the images are often too dark to see or too bright. I don't recall this problem before?

Dave, I reckon you are referring to the exposure of the images coming from the live stream?! If that is the case then we are manually exposing the web camera to get the best view of the storms when parked up. When we turn away from them and hit the road the 'auto' mode on the camera struggles between the really light and really dark areas all in one image. I check back on a regular basis to adjust this but with so many other things going on it is not always possible to adjust the setting on a regular basis.

Regards

Posted

On my webcam stream (which is not active this week as I am working for a tour) I attach a Sun glasses lens to the front of the web cam - this helps no end with exposure and image quality.

Posted

Binning the 375 Mile drive West today for marginal downbursts, so we are heading 90 miles to Hutchinson to watch "Tornado Alley" at the IMAX At the Cosmosphere Space Centre, will probably then ping a few miles off this evening to be in position for SW Kansas and Western Oklahoma for the last chase day for tour 2.

Hope it all goes out with a bang on the last day, they usually spring up some surprises.

Posted

Binning the 375 Mile drive West today for marginal downbursts, so we are heading 90 miles to Hutchinson to watch "Tornado Alley" at the IMAX At the Cosmosphere Space Centre

Envious, missing Tornado Alleysorry.gif

Posted

Binning the 375 Mile drive West today for marginal downbursts, so we are heading 90 miles to Hutchinson to watch "Tornado Alley" at the IMAX At the Cosmosphere Space Centre, will probably then ping a few miles off this evening to be in position for SW Kansas and Western Oklahoma for the last chase day for tour 2.

Hope it all goes out with a bang on the last day, they usually spring up some surprises.

Hi Paul - not certain about the W OK target but I guess you need to be in range of DFW for later so what I see as the better target of S CE NE is out of reach. Biggest factor is the cap, although heating just E of the DL should clear inhibition by 23Z say Shamrock to Elk on the I40. Good luck. Pretty good deep convection and hail risk and EHI/SRH gives you a 5% tor risk in this area at a guess.

I am confident that next week things will liven up considerably.

Posted

Thanks for the reply. I 've just got addicted over the years to watching the endless miles of US highways roll past! Sad or what!