Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 12 - Tx Panhandle

Paul Sherman

Posted

This is what the guys were looking at, This was an Incredible Storm, my only regret was not moving out about 5 miles to see this structure, we were underneath that Mesocyclone, pay off was the insane hail and emerging underneath the rotation.

post-24-0-64001900-1337698777_thumb.jpg - Thanks to Tempest Tours For The Grab

Rob and Tim have footage and pics of the Tornado which I will get touched up and posted tomorrow as they are a bit grainy du to light issues

Posted

Cheers Guys,

Was on tripod and remote, but gusty inflow. Settings were ISO200, F5.6 and 4 second exposure as lightning kicking off all over the place, so thought 30 seconds or bulb would be too much. Wasn't there for long so didn't have time to ask around before we had to escape the hail again

Was not what I would have recommended for a first time. Intense stuff. Your exposures were not very far off the mark so well done for the time adjust. Best tip when you have a gusty inflow is eat less beans... Seriously just use one hand and place it on the collar of the tripod to steady it. Also try to resist winding up the center column. In wind it tends to sway more. Next time will be spot on.

Posted

Video of the double meso, lit up by a lot of lightning! (Thanks to Tom)

Great storm. See the video is victim to the hunting auto focus. Tip I learnt since last year as mine drove me mad. Find your manual focus if the camera has one and stick it on infinity. Failing that if you have these program modes that most new camcorders seem to have then find the setting for fireworks. That should give you the correct settings for lightning and turn off the auto focus to boot.

Apologies if you already know this. Can't wait for the next batch. smile.png

Posted

This is what the guys were looking at, This was an Incredible Storm, my only regret was not moving out about 5 miles to see this structure, we were underneath that Mesocyclone, pay off was the insane hail and emerging underneath the rotation.

post-24-0-64001900-1337698777_thumb.jpg - Thanks to Tempest Tours For The Grab

Rob and Tim have footage and pics of the Tornado which I will get touched up and posted tomorrow as they are a bit grainy du to light issues

That is increadible! I'm guessing the hail core you drove through is the intense precip falling from the centre of the storm! Wow!

Posted

Man I have just seen the vids and pics of what I was seeing via webcam last night. Totally amazing! Great targeting by Paul and the team.

Tour 3 must be loving it

Edited by dallas

Posted

Tour 3 strike again! Amazing footage as ever, I know what tour I'll be back on if I can go next year...! :D

Posted

absolutely incredible structure on this. The photos I have seen on Facebook from a distance look stunning. Happy chasing guys

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Very enjoyable videos guys, can really feel the adreneline and nerves radiating from them, hopefully more good footage to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

post-11361-0-90094900-1337739359_thumb.p

Excellent videos/photos, really enjoyed them thanks.