Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Noticed The Reduction In Daylight Hours Yet ?

Posted

This is the time of year when it starts getting a little depressing for me when we see the darker evenings coming on in but from October onwards, I look forward to the dark evenings as we head further into the Autumn/Winter seasons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Definately started noticing it now that the light is fading before 9pm.

I love light evenings and try to make the most out of them - going to the pub garden or local park with mates etc in the warmer weather.

However i also enjoy dark evenings in autumn & winter if the weather is dry and clear so that i can do a bit more stargazing with my telescope out in the garden.

Posted

its now 0534 to 2046 for sunrise and sunset according to Davis for my station.

When the 'comic' started this thread on 21 June it was 0435 to 2137!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

I've noticed it, but it isn't that major, thing is, it doesn't bother me much, anyway I prefer 45-30N latitude climates where even in June it goes dark at 9:00pm anyway, what bothers me more is the UV and sun strength now, which is already only a 6,

August is fine for me it's still summer and has a happy holiday feeling, but I can't stand that depressing summer is gone feeling between Mid-October and early/mid December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

The dark evenings can't come soon enough! Although I enjoy fine, dry weather, my favourite seasons are Autumn and Winter. Plus, my two boys who are 6 and 4 might just go to sleep a little quicker. I've explained a hundred times ( to no avail ) that 8pm really is nighttime despite the fact it's bright sunshine outside!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The dark evenings can't come soon enough! Although I enjoy fine, dry weather, my favourite seasons are Autumn and Winter. Plus, my two boys who are 6 and 4 might just go to sleep a little quicker. I've explained a hundred times ( to no avail ) that 8pm really is nighttime despite the fact it's bright sunshine outside!!!

Small children are definitely affected by hours of daylight. When my kids were small summer was a nightmare they would be up early before 6am and then couldn't get them to sleep while the sun was still up...eventually invested in some black out blinds...job done

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

its now 0534 to 2046 for sunrise and sunset according to Davis for my station.

When the 'comic' started this thread on 21 June it was 0435 to 2137!

Thanks victor acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

yes it nearly pitch black already! boooo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

yes it nearly pitch black already! boooo!

Nearly pitch black here too. It takes you by surprise how quickly the days actually get shorter. Also noticed that the mornings are seeing much later sunrises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes definitely noticeable now. Need lights on from about 2030 now (we always need lights on just before sunset even in clear weather as we're south east facing) and even at lunchtime the coverage of sunlight in my garden is much less. It's marching its way towards being completely sunless by November. At work if the sun is out I'm now catching 30 or so mins when it shines directly in my eyes having had the glorious period where it is high enough to never do so. Come November onwards its at eye level from about 1000 to sunset.

Sadly the best part of the year sun angles/day lengths wise is now over and the unstoppable fall to the awkward/shortage time of year is on...

Posted

Becoming more evident here everyday as we lose close to 4 minutes of daylight EVERY day. I go to the shops to get some snacks before they close and in the height of summer walking down at 9pm it's still light enough for the streetlights to remain off. Now however the twilight has already begun to set in and soon enough we'll be back into the Autumnal storms season.

Posted

I get up for work at 4.50am when on day shift, so only get 6 weeks per year of getting up when it isnt dark. That is long gone, with it almost pitch black when I wake up now. From around early September it will be dark when I travel to work too - until next April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

The mornings are the most noticeable- as we have window which catchs the sunrise on the landing opposite the bedroom door. It was getting light at 5, whereas now we are looking towards 6am getting light. Soon be getting dark towards 8pm then it's a run down towards clocks going back.

Posted

Yes noticing it too, don't want long sunny days to end.

Will really miss been able to have a barbecue in the park at 8pm.

Don't really get why people prefer it to be darker as early as possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Darkness is unsafe. It's simple. Why do people enjoy being sat inside with harsh restrictions from 5pm every winter?

I'm all for snow, but I will take sunshine & long days over winter's rain & short days any day of the year.

I absolutely love sunbathing, and more so walking the dog at 10pm still being able to see properly. The clocks should go forward in winter, not backwards.

I'm noticing it much more now, as I enjoy photographing sunsets, and it's closer to 9pm now as opposed to close to 10pm in June.

Bad times. :(

Posted

Yes noticing it too, don't want long sunny days to end.

Will really miss been able to have a barbecue in the park at 8pm.

Don't really get why people prefer it to be darker as early as possible.

I don't get why people want a barbeque in the park at 8pm :p

But seriously, if Britain were closer to the poles we'd have longer days in summer, but even longer nights in winter. If we were closer to the equator, we'd lose our long summer evenings but gain them in winter, when they are of little use. And even you surely don't want a BBQ in the park in winter?

So maybe where we are is the best compromise?

Posted

Darkness is unsafe. It's simple. Why do people enjoy being sat inside with harsh restrictions from 5pm every winter?

I'm all for snow, but I will take sunshine & long days over winter's rain & short days any day of the year.

I absolutely love sunbathing, and more so walking the dog at 10pm still being able to see properly. The clocks should go forward in winter, not backwards.

I'm noticing it much more now, as I enjoy photographing sunsets, and it's closer to 9pm now as opposed to close to 10pm in June.

Bad times. sad.png

I enjoy being sat inside when it's dark outside and surrounding myself with creature comforts cos' it's cosy. I find the light extremely uncomfortable and the usual summer activities that everyone is almost obliged to partake of leaves me cold. I find even moderate summer warmth to be stifling and restrictive, and who wants to expose themselves to the blast of a perpetual thermonuclear explosion anyway? I have a fascination with rain and cloudscapes, and really couldn't care less if I never saw the disc of the sun for the rest of my days. Moving ever noticeably in the right direction now but I can't wait for the darkness and gloom of mid Nov - mid Jan. But.... each to their own an' all that. Still,lots to be thankful for as Essan alludes to; the land of the midnight sun would freak me out totally in summer, the lack of variation in Equatorial regions just as much (as well as the horrendous heat) !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Overall I prefer our extremes of day lengths as I love the long summer evenings giving so much time to get things done. We do pay in winter of course. I could cope with long winter nights if it lasted 2 months at most instead of almost 4.

Thing is even in Spain its light till 9pm in June so not far off our sunset time with only difference being there's no lingering twilight.

Since they're on CET they have long evenings but it doesn't get light so earlier (maybe after 6am).

Even excluding my preferences I think it'd be good to have an hour chopped off morning light and put onto the evenings in summer then we'd actually be different to other places in Europe in so far as long evenings go.

As it stands most European tourists would only note the UK's long daylight hours if their hotel has thin curtains as they curse the sun at 0445!

Posted

Overall I prefer our extremes of day lengths as I love the long summer evenings giving so much time to get things done. We do pay in winter of course. I could cope with long winter nights if it lasted 2 months at most instead of almost 4.

It's a matter of perception is that! Winter for me seems to be over in an instant, but this insufferable summer seems to have been here forever and ever, and then a bit more!

Posted

I agree and disagree... true the 'stable' ends of the year really do go on for what seems like ages. I'm so used to it being light till gone 9pm that it seems odd now that I'm drawing the curtains at half 8 now.

But of course for me the constant long evenings has been great as it makes life far easier. Back in April it was wonderful to be able to have a couple of pints after work and still get home with light to play with. Now I take it for granted I've got time at the end of the day.

Soon of course I'll loose that privilege of coming home to check the garden and open the windows and will be back having to strap lights on the bike, put layers on, shut the curtains and switch the lights on straight away. So trapping!

Posted

Soon of course I'll loose that privilege of coming home to check the garden and open the windows and will be back having to strap lights on the bike, put layers on, shut the curtains and switch the lights on straight away. So trapping!

You could move to Venus. Otherwise, get use to it :p

Posted

Venus is too cloudy for my tastes - Mercury would be better! I think...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

I too have noticed that the nights are drawing in as it is almost dark at 9pm now even on a clear evening.I'm not to bothered by the darker mornings as our bedroom faces due East and I used to be awake at 4am even with thick curtains.Now I can sleep through until at least 6am.Not looking forward to the de-icing the car routine though as we live in a real frost prone area here and can get frosts in late October!!

Posted

Bad times. :(

I understand that you like the light more than the dark, most people do. I can take it or leave it, but to say the clocks should go forward rather than back in the winter is a bit ridiculous.

If there's one thing I hate more than dark evenings it's dark mornings. It doesn't get light until 8-8.30am around mid December do we really want it staying dark until 10am or later.