Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ideas for a Dissertation

MikeUpjohn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Hi everyone,

I am at Staffordshire University and in my final undergraduate year. As part of the final year, 3 of 8 modules are known as an FYP (Final Year Project), where each student goes through a structured process of planning, design, implementation and testing of a real world artefact, in my case in the form of a web application.

For me, I should, at the end of the year, have a fully functioning web application programmed in my choice of language to solve a real world problem. They strongly advise that you base the project on an area of strong interest - for me, the weather.

My idea is simple (I think). A Google Maps or similar version that displays historic weather data and maps previously recorded severe weather data overlaid on this map. Queries can be performed, for example all tornadoes in the US between 1 March 2012 and 1 April 2012, and then in some way accompanying historic weather data to give an overview of as much information for that time, in one place. I should stress, the main aspect of this, is to run a project and in my case, code a structurally sound application, as opposed to research into and develop weather forecasts.

I would appreciate any feedback that anyone could give me on this, for whether you think this is something that could become valuable, whether you would use such a service and also possible changes, additions or losses to the above stated proposal. Also can you let me know if there is any objection with such feedback being incorporated into the project research.

Thanks and best regards!

Mike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

So would this app purely be for historical benefit and not to accompany anything that may be for a forecast?

Posted

Yeah, nice idea.

I have so many ideas and views on this, but don't have the time to type them all out!

I would avoid America, to big,

Perhaps the road to follow could be one which leads you to a (google earth) map of the British Isles. One that takes advantage of readily available information on geography and overlays weather/climate info.

For example; you scroll over Dartmoor and as the ASL increases it reveals more info, a set 10-15 table of weather/events....so you hover the mouse over 'Princetown' and it reveals X amount of snow covered days a year, X amount of days with over 40 mph winds and X amount of days with over 25mm of rain.

Just an example, but i think that would be a platform that would achieve your goals, be impressive and importantly, workable.

I studied Earth Science at Plymouth a few years back and am now a Chartered Accountant, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me!

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Yeah, good idea, I like it. It would be fun to play around on :)

Posted

Sorry guys, I don't know how to multi-quote.

@WhiteXmas - For the purposes of the project to begin with I would look at analysis (a.k.a X many tornadoes within 5 miles radius of location XXX in time period XXX). As I have ideas to do masters where it would be developed, I will state a future change could allow for forecasting and do this as Phase 2 in coming years.

@Paul T - Many thanks for the comments, they will be encorporated. Owing to the nature of the severe weather data I have access to, it would be USA for severe data and worldwide for historic data. I could look at making user accounts for recording severe weather data across the world again in Phase 2.

@22nov10blast - Great, thanks! If all comes off, I will post a link for you guys to look at! Warning: Design is not my forte.

Regards,

Mike.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

it's a good idea how ever most of these apps arnt v.i friendly so if possible can u make your app v.i friendly so people like my self can have access too. Thx.

Posted

it's a good idea how ever most of these apps arnt v.i friendly so if possible can u make your app v.i friendly so people like my self can have access too. Thx.

This is part of the ethical justification of the project too. I should be considering maximising accessibility, but if you can tell me what sort of things make a visit for you especially helpful, please let me know and they can be implemented.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

It's a nice idea Mike. It would be great if the app could display symbols to signify the type of weather etc. For example a tornado icon displayed on the map which you could press on and it would then open up information on the particular area and the historical weather events. Just a thought!

Posted

This is part of the ethical justification of the project too. I should be considering maximising accessibility, but if you can tell me what sort of things make a visit for you especially helpful, please let me know and they can be implemented.

hey if it is going to be mibile friendly i suggest big buttons! I sometimes struggle to press the right ones so yeah, also i think weebly.com is a good app for mobile accsesability

• 2 weeks later...