Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion

Coast

Posted

clapping.gif there's a winter wonderland out there .. now for the not so good part, try get the car oot, I hear Aberdeen is gridlocked so no hurry.. most schools up here have no transport running but oor loon walks so he's most miffed, though I don't imagine there will be many kids there as the school is 90% transport pupils.., hubby still home so I'll try to get some daylight photos - noo far's me shovel

..Blackburn to Westhill road has just been closed

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

clapping.gif there's a winter wonderland out there .. now for the not so good part, try get the car oot, I hear Aberdeen is gridlocked so no hurry.. most schools up here have no transport running but oor loon walks so he's most miffed, though I don't imagine there will be many kids there as the school is 90% transport pupils.., hubby still home so I'll try to get some daylight photos - noo far's me shovel

Blimey Snooz, didn't realise it was as bad up there? Going by the model updates, you might be digging a lot next week!biggrin.png

Posted

London coming to a standstill I see. Think stanstead? Airport is closed. Geez how much have they had?!!

Probably a couple of cms!biggrin.png

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

General bit of airport disruption country-wide the morn:

http://www.itv.com/n...-sussex-london/

clapping.gif there's a winter wonderland out there .. now for the not so good part, try get the car oot,

Maybe this could be an idea?

nikon+download+4081292465719.jpg

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Ice and cold weather !

I try to put a picture of rgu building ! I go to scholl with my becycle and everything is frozen road are dangerous ! But it's cool !

post-18146-0-48810300-1354698254_thumb.j

Posted

General bit of airport disruption country-wide the morn:

http://www.itv.com/n...-sussex-london/

1 - 2cms of snaw and this happens, bit of a joke really.

Any hoo looking for an update for tomorrow into the weekend as the outlaws looking to head South fir Forres on Saturday?

PS -2 here earlier and everything underfoot foot crunchy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just a few flurries making it through to here from the North this morning as much of the cloud breaks up over Angus as is often the case in this kind of airflow.

Posted

Thought there must have been some heavy snow to the east when I saw the flash of lightning on the horizon last night. Only a dusting here overnight and currently 0.1c.Turning off the last of the outside water troughs( troughs are concrete and putting out plastic temporary ones) and taps today in preparation for next week if the models are correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Where did you find that pic SS - hahahahaha - I want one of them.

Aberdeenshire struggling today according to Radio Scotland travel reports, spoke to my wee brother up there last night says Grampian police are in overdrive sorting out accidents due to Ice, there sage advice being, look just dinnae drive ken. Nice pic of RGU airliquide. It's not a cold winter until you get caught in an Easterly or North Easterly in Aberdeen, kind of defines chilling you can feel your very bone marrow freezing over. Looking forward to some daytime pics Snooz.

ECM and GFS both ramptastic today, small adjustments and the block orientates better extending west, the trough and undercut moves along nicely and kaboom - the world is full of easterly promise.

Going to be another rollercoaster watching this one unfold. In terms of confidence would say 7/10 for this one, higher confidence than previous due to the strength of the Scandi block, it has been rock solid on the Ensembles for a few days now.

Really hope this one verifies will make everything so festive and the atmosphere on here will be brilliant !

A look at things from the ECM perspective - operational run

post-7292-0-32683700-1354700966_thumb.pn

Ensembles - as above Scandi block still in play and 850 temps.

post-7292-0-13967700-1354700988_thumb.pn post-7292-0-35486700-1354700975_thumb.pn

All aboard... !

Posted

Blimey Snooz, didn't realise it was as bad up there? Going by the model updates, you might be digging a lot next week!biggrin.png

Yep looks like it's going to be the order of the day this Year hohoho!!

Probably a couple of cms!biggrin.png

that's Why Aberdeen/shire nae on the News LOL!

Thought there must have been some heavy snow to the east when I saw the flash of lightning on the horizon last night. Only a dusting here overnight and currently 0.1c.Turning off the last of the outside water troughs( troughs are concrete and putting out plastic temporary ones) and taps today in preparation for next week if the models are correct.

Aye saw those blue echos on the radar NL but unfortunately am a bit too far south of the moray coast to actually see the lighting, and didn't hear any thunder

more photos comin' have gone a bit snap happy sorry!

Posted

Taken about an hour ago...

These taken first, my front view where you canna see Bennachie during a snow shower

post-4683-0-75018700-1354701478_thumb.jppost-4683-0-84266700-1354701486_thumb.jppost-4683-0-17813500-1354701495_thumb.jp

last night's view also still snowing..

post-4683-0-56083000-1354701591_thumb.jppost-4683-0-21711900-1354701634_thumb.jp

last nights depth recleared..

post-4683-0-16534800-1354701691_thumb.jp

rear of house, snow clearing in progress (it's manual job up here!!)

post-4683-0-59790800-1354701819_thumb.jppost-4683-0-36963700-1354701766_thumb.jppost-4683-0-54491600-1354701777_thumb.jp

My Gorgeous (I'm biased) Front View - when you can see Bennachie - after the showers - you can see the clouds passing and the sun lighting up the Tops of Bennachie and the Mither Tap!

post-4683-0-62595500-1354701914_thumb.jppost-4683-0-91279900-1354701905_thumb.jppost-4683-0-13740800-1354701897_thumb.jppost-4683-0-64062000-1354701888_thumb.jppost-4683-0-58658800-1354701880_thumb.jppost-4683-0-33852300-1354701873_thumb.jp

Sorry it's so many, won't always have better camera at home I promise :)

Local news still telling everyone to stay off roads, all roads in/out Aberdeen are apparently still useless, and accidents galore by the sound of it, hope everyone is Ok!

Posted

Amazing Pics :)

Those photos are brilliant, okay I also admit bias it reminds me of home - growing up in Aberdeenshire can remember well Mither Tap and Bennachie on the horizon covered in snow, many a school trip hauling my wee legs up there !

Top Notch Snooz. Thank You.

Posted

A beautiful cold and chilly day. Think it might be a bit nippy tonight (at least for a time) Didn't think this front was going to be coming in as quickly as it seems tonight/tomorrow morning

Posted

Took two and a half hours on the bus this morning, normally a 40 min journey max.

Accidents everywhere. Stay safe peeps.

Posted

Amazing Pics smile.png

Those photos are brilliant, okay I also admit bias it reminds me of home - growing up in Aberdeenshire can remember well Mither Tap and Bennachie on the horizon covered in snow, many a school trip hauling my wee legs up there !

Top Notch Snooz. Thank You.

You're most Welcome, just shout if you're suffering bennachie withdrawal, I'll try to oblige, I only wish I could it justice, everyday, any season, is a different view out my window and I would have thoosans o' pics by now smile.png - and... "Just dinna drive, ken!" LOL'd I see you hivna lost the accent - but oh so true!

SS haha, aand your version is better than mine

post-4683-0-22420300-1354706772_thumb.jp

Still more showers peppering in.. hubby has left for work.. this is when I appreciate working from home..

If anyone wants to follow local news/pics on Facebook - Like : http://www.facebook.com/northsound2

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Fellow Kilters, I have again updated the kilted weather tool to v2. I have removed the web cams as I think radar watching more in line with synoptic's at present, so there is now a active rain radar and satellite image that is update at 5 minute intervals.

KiltedWeatherToolv2.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

As another snow loving big kid in thier 40s I've been keeping an eye on the Netweather forums for a few weeks now to see if we manage to get a better winter than last years non event. I'm still baffled by most of the terms on the Strat thread etc but the reality so far has been promising.

For the start of Dec were not doing too badly in Aberdeenshire for snow. Last weekends falls have survived despite a fair bit of rain and the last couple of days have topped that up nicely. Even had to start clearing the driveway and paths. This mornings drive into work at Dyce was interesting. Despite the roads not appearing to be too bad the A96, at 9am, was gridlocked at Kintore so I took the back route on the B977 (new 4x4 and happy to play). Got into work fine but took me around twice my usual 20mins. Aberdeen was a traffic mess too by the reports of collegues at work.

Weather so far this morning in Dyce has been heavy snow showers and sunny spells. Looking forward to it sticking around at least through the weekend so I can get "out to play" with the kids. Or could we keep the cover all month if some reports are to be believed?

Ravelin

Posted

Welcome along Ravelin, sounds like the current conditions are good fun for fleeing around in a 4x4 !

Looking very blocked and below average cold for next short while. Very positive for a traditional old school winter December.

Posted

Hi Ravelin & welcome.

Will not be too hard to better last year's disappointment I shouldn't think! Things looking very good at the moment.smile.png

Posted

Welcome fellow Kemnayite, Ravelin!

the snow showers are starting to peter out now.. then it's gonna get cold (though it feels freezing already!) more fun for Aberdeen at coming home time?

>>Amber warning,

not liking the look of the frost tonite then the possibility of wet stuff on top of the already frozen layer.. but hey ho, tomorrow's another day, am supposed to be driving to Inverurie tonite but will wait and see how quickly it freezes, or even if hubby get's car up't road

Am off (upstairs office tease.gif) to work next shift.. stay safe Aberdonians! (news reports say no major accidents this am, which is good!)

Edited by Snooz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Ice and cold weather !

tomorrow's another day, am supposed to be driving to Inverurie tonite but will wait and see how quickly it freezes, or even if hubby get's car up't road

Cool it can be a great adventure !

I had some pictures take at 12:00 :

post-18146-0-89412000-1354711965_thumb.jpost-18146-0-00018900-1354711967_thumb.jpost-18146-0-03096100-1354711968_thumb.j

Posted

Five days into December and five days with falling snow, five with lying snow and five air frosts. Not a bad start to winter! Roads were poor this morning with ice and untreated roads all the way into Aberdeen. The local paper is quoting a met office spokesman predicting 2-6 inches more tomorrow... Upgrade? I thought it was going to rain?