Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

why do u hate rain so much, it doesn't literally rain all the time u know, i'd rather it wet than dry sunny and mild

not many do like rain, no dosent rain all the time, dry next 4 days, but frontal bands always seem to be timed for the day, wonder if there is a reason why

Posted

showers are usually during the day, not sure about frontal rain, quite often it rains during the night here at least

summer showers in day due to convection, for my area summer is wetter than autumn (december) in Dec there is no convective showers so its dry

if today's pressure pattern was summer, I would expect it to be very wet

Posted

Would be quite an exciting day for showers if we were in one of the warmer months. By the sea really is the place to be during the winter...in cold and mild spells. Still, some sunshine will go down well this weekend after yesterday. I don't mind mild spells too much in winter if they can provide a bit of sun with them.

Posted

The showers are getting through to here now. Always easier for a rain shower than a wintry one to get here it seems!

Posted

enjoy next 3 days folks, Wed and thurs a writeoff washout, typical December, i remember the 23rd last year was almost tropical

Posted

Nothing wintry this side of Christmas now is nailed on, looking increasingly likely that April 4th and February 4th will go down as the only times it's snowed here this year.

Posted

yeah, getting less snowy as the years go by, my only snow was 04 Feb, 8cms, Apr 4th just wet snow and light

Posted

Genuine question. How come the showers are easily clearing the Welsh mountains today (although not lasting long past Birmingham) yet on other days (particuarly colder ones) they struggle just getting as far as Shropshire? Is it to do with the temperature or is the angle of the wind today helping them find a way through? There surely can't be enough daytime heating to keep them going? Is it the strength of the wind?

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Genuine question. How come the showers are easily clearing the Welsh mountains today (although not lasting long past Birmingham) yet on other days (particuarly colder ones) they struggle just getting as far as Shropshire? Is it to do with the temperature or is the angle of the wind today helping them find a way through? There surely can't be enough daytime heating to keep them going? Is it the strength of the wind?

As ive seen in Cornwall and on my return home on the train today, there is quite deep convection for the time of year today hence why I presume they are heavier, longer lasting showers than normal IMO.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

shockingly quiet on here, So I think this Dec has been crapper that last Dec, 3 days of wet snow 16th-18th,

really crappy Januaries as well the last 2, hopefully this one better as GP forecasted a mildish Dec, below average Jan, and below Avg Feb

Posted

shockingly quiet on here, So I think this Dec has been crapper that last Dec, 3 days of wet snow 16th-18th,

really crappy Januaries as well the last 2, hopefully this one better as GP forecasted a mildish Dec, below average Jan, and below Avg Feb

We will have to see what impact the projected Swerlies have on the CET for December, but we know from past experience that 14C maxima and 9 minima are very possible from the flow projected.

it could be a case of jam tomorrow, but then again It might not be.

Posted

maybe a trend for a Xmas northerly? GFS and ECMWF show a trend, still FI probably just as well as uppers are crap, boxing day chart on ECMWF is actually crap for south, but time for improvements

Posted

maybe a trend for a Xmas northerly? GFS and ECMWF show a trend, still FI probably just as well as uppers are crap, boxing day chart on ECMWF is actually crap for south, but time for improvements

I'd hate to be on here if the 12Zs go back to showing blowtorch SW windshelp.gifrofl.gif

Edited by lancs_northants

Posted

Could it be like Xmas o4? my white Xmas off a northerly, through cheshire Gap, also my first falling snow that winter was on Xmas day

Posted

Could it be like Xmas o4? my white Xmas off a northerly, through cheshire Gap, also my first falling snow that winter was on Xmas day

In my 18 years down here, i don't think I've seen snow fall on Xmas day.

The last time we did well in a Northerly was in 2003, a good 5 inches fell. started around 4 pm and finished by 7ish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Fog attempting to clear here but never quite making it. Watery sunshine at times but visibility between 200 and 600 mts.

Christmas weather looking quite volatile at the moment which suits me just fine.

Posted

Looking at the week ahead, I don't think it's going to be as mild in the latter half of the week as some suggest. It's looking very average in my opinion. The chance of some very mild weather is there later on but it's far too early to say. Think there will be a touch of frost on some nights early this week as well. I thought it was fairly chilly this morning.

I'm sure there will be rain though...as there always is in this set up!

Very average December weather this week. However, like last week, Thursday seems to be the tipping point for what happens next. Although not as drastic a change this time!

Good to see a smidgeon of excitement for the long term...might come to nothing but it keeps our discussions fresh!

Edited by Gord

Posted

as expected Xmas northerly gone off GFS, I fully expect the ECMWF 12Z to get rid of the Xmas northerly, and go with a flat pattern

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Wouldn't be impossible for the models to bring the Northerly back to life, otherwise for snow and chilly weather potential, the charts just haven't really been all that brilliant. I sometimes think when I look at the charts that some of the High Pressure to the South could do with either ridging to the North of us and joining forces with the Russian high strengthening blocking to the North, or just getting pushed back further West with Lows being more able to slide South-Eastwards underneath that Russain/Scandi block and increasing the chances of an Easterly.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

I think that even though we are stuck in the most annoying rut at the minute, we have to consider that at least the pattern isn't the usual one with lows flying across the UK and into Scandinavia.

There's a huge block to the east which, with a little jiggling, could quite easily give us the winter we deserve in the Midlands.

An what an unlucky spot we live in ay? I think that we must be the most snowless place at are latitude on Earth!!!! Even Ireland got a better winter than us in 2010/11.

WE DESERVE A BIG SNOWFALL!! (I bet it is the end of the world on the 21st and we still won't have had a snowfall lol)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Apart from the west wales coast and Ireland, where it undoubtedly snows less than the Midlands.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Apart from the west wales coast and Ireland, where it undoubtedly snows less than the Midlands.

that's true, but they've done better than here out of the last few winter imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hello again fellow Midlanders! Not used to this thing called "rain" :o