Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February 1998

Weather-history

Posted

February 1998 had a CET of 7.3C and was exceptionally mild. Here are forecasts from that remarkable February.

1st February: it actually started off cold this month, I remember seeing some flakes of snow falling that Sunday morning

2nd February

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There was some snow on the night of the 31st January/1st February at Cleadon too, it provided about 80% snow cover at 7am although it had reduced to less than 50% cover by 9am. The month's only other instance of sleet/snow falling at Cleadon was on the evening of the 28th, so there was a "symmetry" about it- snow at the beginning and end of an otherwise record-breaking warm month. In the CET zone it was not quite the warmest February on record, but in Tyneside it was comfortably the warmest winter month of the twentieth century, as generally windier conditions and slightly more cloud than further south resulted in a higher average minimum.

Ironically, in the days leading up to February 1998, I recall a fair few forecasts (including one by Bob Johnson at ITV North East and a couple of BBC regional ones) suggesting a very wintry start to February as the northerly incursion on the 2nd/3rd was modelled to be more potent and longer-lasting, though browsing through the BBC national forecast uploads it seems that they rightly refrained from ramping it up.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Was this the Feb with 2 or 3 really quite warm days touching 20C quite widely?

I remember it being about 17C and sunny for a couple of days here.

Posted

Remember it well for the remarkably sustained very mild weather. Nights in particular mid month were record breakingly mild. I do remember it turning colder on the 28th and watching snow during the evening, but it quickly melted in the morning.

Feb 98 is a month I wouldn't like to see happening again.. a cold snow lovers worst nightmare after what had been a snow starved Dec and Jan with little cold frosty weather..

Posted

Feb 98 is a month I wouldn't like to see happening again.. a cold snow lovers worst nightmare after what had been a snow starved Dec and Jan with little cold frosty weather..

Mid April 1998 was the wintriest spell, 5 consecutives days of falling snow, 2 days of lying snow. There was no lying snow here from early December 1997 to mid April 1998