Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion ~ November 27th 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

c062.gif

Please can you translate that emoticon? Me says it how I sees it. blum.gif I always look forward to your posts Coast and you know that from the amount of likes I've given you.clapping.gif

Time to be less honest from here on in I reckon. cray.gif

We shall have 20 feet of snow this forthcoming week and will all be melted by Friday, SNOWMAGGEDON. Or if its marginal, there will be.....................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Well done, unlike most of us in here who've got there much more quickly, mainly achieved by spouting bullonions, all, if not most of those few years. rofl.gif

Oh dear! I've only been on here since May this year and I've just past the 1,000 mark. Says a lot for me then. :(

Posted

00_UKMet_H500_PSL_96_144.gif?31415

trying to go past the 3rd is very tricky

if you look at the 5th on the raw ukmo charts

the bottom ones

you can see low pressure near the south east

the air is 523 dam so will be cold under a north-north easterly flow

its only a thought at present and i have got my eye on this

this would only effect the south east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Almost down to freezing in areas of our region by 18.00 hrs tomorrow night:

post-6667-0-32900600-1354193515_thumb.pn

Sticks right through the night into Saturday morning. Then its a brief return to milder conditons for a few days from Monday:

Before another cold one next Thursday?

Slightly at odds, as to how the BBC see it but then that is no great surprise. I'll stick with Monday or Tuesday being FI for now, as confirmed with JPs interepretation too.drinks.gif

Thanks Coast but also can please point me to guidance as to how to interpret that first chart, I am completely lost with them. You post them all year long especially around high convective times, but I haven't yet gathered what they mean.

As I've often said to other forum users, don't be afraid to ask for assistance, so I beg you Coast, please put me out of misery. cray.gif

EDIT: to prove I'm not a total dunce, I get the HPA readings and the wind (I think) and preciptation spikes. However, where are the Air Temps you mention, for example?

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

c062.gif

I joined three years before you and you still have more posts than me ;)

Posted

http://www.meteociel...ch=6&carte=1021

hi gtltw

did you see this run?

I have now. I presume, that must be where the BBC were getting some of their guidance from. The jump from t+72 to t+96 looks a bit suspect though, all IMHO.

Posted

I have now. I presume, that must be where the BBC were getting some of their guidance from. The jump from t+72 to t+96 looks a bit suspect though, all IMHO.

thats where the fi on the 3rd is

i still think things could turn interesting next week

better not say anymore as i have to stick with the fi remark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Well it might be Mr Blue sky now but it's going to be ice ice baby tonight...and it's not vanilla ice it's yellow ice (lemon sorbet maybe ?)

Yellow Warning of Ice for London & South East England :

Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, West Berkshire & Milton Keynes

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Peterborough & Norfolk valid from 1

Valid from: 1630 on Thu 29 Nov 2012

Valid to: 1130 on Fri 30 Nov 2012

Temperatures are expected to fall below freezing overnight across many parts of England and Wales. Due to the recent wet weather there is an increased risk of icy patches, even on roads that have been treated with salt, where water run off/seepage may wash off any earlier salt treatment.

Therefore the public should be aware of the risk of ice on roads and pavements.

Issued at: 1254 on Thu 29 Nov 2012

http://www.metoffice...Time=1354104060

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

can please point me to guidance as to how to interpret that first chart

if u mean the skew-t charts this should help....

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/16002-a-simple-guide-to-understanding-skew-t-diagrams/

Posted

I joined three years before you and you still have more posts than me tease.gif

But yours are informative, knowledgeable and interesting, mine are none of the above! rofl.gif

I always look forward to your posts Coast and you know that from the amount of likes I've given you.clapping.gif

Oh yes, sorry, money's in the post!

Edited by Coast

Posted

Ok, so the falling snow is quite hard to see but you get the idea. I've asked him to try and do another with a dark background - he thinks I'm mad...

I hope this works. Enjoy smiliz34.gif

Edited to say: Sorry - you might get neck ache!

VID-20121129-WA0007.MOV

Edited by Snow Obsession

Posted

Sorry S O, not working for me? QuickTime doesn't like it!

Posted

if u mean the skew-t charts this should help....

http://forum.netweat...kew-t-diagrams/

I don't think it's that one, although I need to time to address my lack of knowledge there too. rofl.gif The one I was referring to was labelled GFS atmosphere or somesuch, kind of like ensembles to be fair, but I have no problem reading them. good.gif

Posted

Got there in the end with a DivX player, but as you say I was watching it sideways!! Very nice and just what we need here this Winter :good:

Posted

Seems to work on Windows Media Player but it's sideways! Oh well I tried pardon.gif

Works on WM here too. good.gif Looks like 3 inches or so, maybe more. Lucky so and so.

Posted

Works on WM here too. good.gif Looks like 3 inches or so, maybe more. Lucky so and so.

He seems to think it's more than that, but then he's a man...

So jealous... Wish I was there!

Posted

Ok, so the falling snow is quite hard to see but you get the idea. I've asked him to try and do another with a dark background - he thinks I'm mad...

Oh that is so pretty. Makes me ache for snow even more though. mellow.png

Posted

Thanks Coast but also can please point me to guidance as to how to interpret that first chart, I am completely lost with them. You post them all year long especially around high convective times, but I haven't yet gathered what they mean.

A meteogram is a time cross-section display of output from a computer model over a fixed geographical point. Meteograms are useful tools for predicting weather at a specific location. Meteograms on the website are available from the MLAPS, LAPS, GFS and GASP models. The Surface meteograms show dew point temperature, temperature, precipitation, wind speed, wind direction and pressure at the surface.

The Atmosphere meteograms show temperature, wind direction, wind strength, relative humidity and height at the 850hPa level. Atmosphere meteograms also show the 1000-500 thickness.

OK, I only use bits of the Free Atmosphere Meteogram that I think I understand!! laugh.png The thin red line is the atmospheric temp at a pressure (height) and if you look to the left on the axis markers in hPa, you can see it is also marked with the temp scale. you've also got the atmospheric wind on there shown as barbs at various heights. Below that you have layer thickness (Schichtdicke) - http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/152 They also show the relative humidity up there in the air!

Finally, below that you have convective indicators and these are guides to that form of activity. Total Totals (red) are a 'round about' index used to assess storm strength, it shouldn't be taken on it's own though - http://www.teachmefi...tals Index.html

Lastly there's the lifted index, which I like to see in the negative!! http://en.wikipedia....ki/Lifted_index

MU_London_avn.png

For specific convective explanations, download this very good .pdf:

http://lightningwizard.com/maps/ConvectiveWeatherMaps.pdf

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Fantastic Video! Very festive :)

Posted

OK, I only use bits of the Free Atmosphere Meteogram that I think I understand!! laugh.png The thin red line is the atmospheric temp at a pressure (height) and if you look to the left on the axis markers in hPa, you can see it is also marked with the temp scale. you've also got the atmospheric wind on there shown as barbs at various heights. Below that you have layer thickness (Schichtdicke) - http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/152 They also show the relative humidity up there in the air!

Finally, below that you have convective indicators and these are guides to that form of activity. Total Totals (red) are a 'round about' index used to assess storm strength, it shouldn't be taken on it's own though - http://www.teachmefi...tals Index.html

Lastly there's the lifted index, which I like to see in the negative!! http://en.wikipedia....ki/Lifted_index

MU_London_avn.png

For specific convective explanations, download this very good .pdf:

http://lightningwiza...WeatherMaps.pdf

You are a star Coast, saved the PDF and will read the other bits another time, can't face up to that just now. good.gif

Posted

You are a star Coast, saved the PDF and will read the other bits another time, can't face up to that just now. good.gif

No worries, you really need someone with a lot more knowledge than my minuscule amount to put some meat on the bones, but these indicators seem to be pretty good.

Posted

Sounds like a rollercoaster ride ahead of us, regarding borderline sleet and snow events, courtesy of Ian Fergusson from my local regional.

http://forum.netweat...40#entry2421326

Sounds like a rollercoaster ride ahead of us, regarding borderline sleet and snow events, courtesy of Ian Ferguson from my local regional.

http://forum.netweat...40#entry2421326

He also confirms some transient wintriness is possible at first, come Sunday.

Posted

Sounds like a rollercoaster ride ahead of us, regarding borderline sleet and snow events

rofl.gif It's like that every Winter!!!! I think the MOD thread should come with a warning:

post-6667-0-20317200-1354207976_thumb.jp