Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

Came across a small pond in the woods this morning that I haven't noticed before. Looks quite interesting and is covered in some sort of green algae and has all sorts growing in and around it. Anyway I was just weighing up the pros and cons when a wee Robin turned up.

Pond 5.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

All of a buzz down at the lake Friday morning

BBuzz 5.jpg

And slightly more mundane

She taught me to yodel / Yodel-oh-ee-dee / Diddly-odel-oh-ee-dee / Diddly-odel-oh-ee-dee…

Yodel 2.jpg

Sunday morning and Sidney taking five before the kids arrive.

Kids 3.jpg

Vroom, vroom

vroom 2.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Rise in reindeer deaths in the Arctic linked with loss of sea ice and extreme weather

Scientists have interviewed nomadic reindeer herders in the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Okrug of West Siberia, the world's most productive reindeer herding region, to look at how global warming is affecting their way of life. While rain-on-snow does not cause problems in spring, it can be catastrophic for reindeer in the autumn when rain turns to an ice crust as normal freezing temperatures return. This crust, often several centimetres thick, prevents the reindeer from feeding on fodder beneath the snow throughout the winter months. Two extreme weather events in 2006 and 2013 caused mass starvation among the reindeer herds, and researchers for the first time have linked these extreme weather events in the coastal mainland in northwest Russia with sea ice loss in the adjoining Barents and Kara seas. The findings are published in the journal Biology Letters.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-11-reindeer-deaths-arctic-linked-loss.html#jCp

http://phys.org/news/2016-11-reindeer-deaths-arctic-linked-loss.html

• Like 3

Posted

RSPB hails 'remarkable' recovery of threatened Cirl bunting

One of the UK's most endangered songbirds is no longer on the brink of extinction following a "remarkable" recovery, the RSPB has said.

The cirl bunting, a sparrow-sized bird predominantly found in Devon, has seen breeding numbers rise from just 118 pairs in 1989 to 1,078 pairs this year.

It had been threatened by changes to farming methods and hedge losses.

The RSPB said the turnaround came after a 25-year project with farmers to boost the bird's food supplies and habitats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38008471

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
10 hours ago, knocker said:

One of the UK's most endangered songbirds is no longer on the brink of extinction following a "remarkable" recovery, the RSPB has said.

That's good news, knocker. 

it was also reported over the past few days that Golden Eagles are no longer an endangered species with at least 500 breeding pairs in Scotland.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, ciel said:

That's good news, knocker. 

it was also reported over the past few days that Golden Eagles are no longer an endangered species with at least 500 breeding pairs in Scotland.

Yes indeed ciel it's a pity they are a fair way from me. I thought some of the recent footage on Golden eagles on Autumn and Spring watch terrific. Magnificent birds.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

With Angus incoming. It might get a tad windier than my latest video clip on naturestimeline suggests, I'd say.

Posted

It was such a fine autumn day, instead of hanging about home, went for a walk up Glen Esk. 

A distant Red Kite.

Red Kite Glen Esk 21.jpg

Some scenery

Glen_Esk_20.jpg

Best of all,  coming down, some super clouds up to the north east.

Anvil cloud Glen Esk 21.jpg   clouds.01.jpg 

• Like 5

Posted

My neighbours are probably missing seeing me wandering around my garden in my dressing gown with a cup of tea first thing in the morning. Hate this grotty weather. Fortunately a nice autumn.

Posted

It  continued to be so cold here, and along the riverbank this autumn afternoon.  After standing still for a minute or two and removing gloves in order to take some photos, I was shivering – an age thing probably.

Anyway, a couple of shaky pics of the Rocks of Solitude,The Burn, where the N. Esk passes over a narrow channel through  the Highland Boundary Fault. 

Icicles_21_11.2016_Rock_os_Solitude.jpg        21_11.2016_Rock_of_Solitude.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
On 24/11/2016 at 17:23, Weather-history said:

Fieldfare on Chat Moss, Irlam

That's a Mistle Thrush, Kevin. Not far of a Song Thrush either, but certainly not a Fieldfare I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

Thanks

I'm not sure what this bird of prey is?

Yep, Peregrine. Unless it's an escaped falconers bird such as a Lanner or somesuch. Certainly looks like a Peregrine to my eyes.

• Like 3

Posted

There are couple of Wigeons on the lake and one of them is a first winter which I meant to get photo of but ended up with a photo of the other. I think

FW 5.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

Popped down to the lake for an hour this morning. Don't know whether it was down to the mild weather but loads of Great Tits, Blue Tits, Robins, Chaffinches, the odd Goldcrest cavorting and a solitary Nuthatch paid a visit.

Nut 3.jpgNut 4.jpg

Sidney was gobsmacked when I mentioned the forecast

Sidney 2.jpg

• Like 4